Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hating on the $EC - Mostly Alabama (and a little Georgia too)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missed hearing about this until this morning.

Arkansas' Eric Musselman in wild scuffle with San Diego State fans (nypost.com)

Comment

• Yeah. He’s a hothead. He had some outbursts at his previous job, too.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• His dad was a hothead too. He was Minnesota's coach for the infamous "head stomp" brawl between OSU and the Gophers in the early 70's.

Comment

• He should be fired and the Arkansas basketball program shuttered.
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
            His dad was a hothead too. He was Minnesota's coach for the infamous "head stomp" brawl between OSU and the Gophers in the early 70's.
            It wasn't just a head stomp...Corky Taylor went to help Luke Witte up from the court and as he was doing so, kneed him the nuts and then some bench player came out and stomped on him while he was incapacitated. https://www.dispatch.com/story/sport...te/6553737001/

For any who hasn't seen it, it commences around 18 seconds on the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR_xiYLJ6c8

Unfortunately, the video isn't great so can't really appreciate all the carnage. But, yeah..oh, and Dave Winfield can forever go fuck himself.

It makes the Sparty-M shit look like a pre-K squabble for Thomas the Train Engine.
            Last edited by iam416; November 25, 2022, 09:24 AM.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• That’s pretty egregious. Any criminal charges?

Comment

• God no. Only two players were suspended (for the remainder of the season). Taylor (the guy who started it) and Belragon, the guy who came off the bench (he had fouled out). Witte had to be carried out and as he was, the crowd rained boos down on him. Two other OSU players hospitalized. Dave Winfield was NOT suspended despite multiple shots, including injuring an OSU player with punches from behind -- lol. He was not on the choppy film hitting anyone.

The picture of Taylor offering his hand to Witte is straight out of the WWE. Except it was real.

Luke Witte -- roughly 1.5 seconds before his career would effectively end:

ows_148503270796362.jpg?w=525&h=600&format=auto%2Ccompress&cs=tinysrgb&auto=compress&crop=faces&dpr=1.jpg

Comment

• Witte ended up with cornea damage that limited his vision -- to this day -- and he managed 3 years in the NBA. But, he went to become a pastor and oversee some sort of pastor association in NC. He is, I guess, full of forgiveness and even visited Corky Taylor before he died. I imagine Taylor probably had a hard time living that down -- as he should -- but I guess the two were friendly after their visit and so forth.

Comment

• But, to DSL original point -- Musselman stoked up the game and the crowd and his team. IMO -- and I feel fairly strongly about this -- if Minnesota were coached by a different man this would not have happened.

Comment

• There have been a lot of post-game melee's that have been worse than the "M tunnel" thing. No question. What happened to Witte was criminal.

And I still think post-game 'handshake lines' are stupid. Let the coaches shake hands, but send the players to the locker rooms. Don't make them feel obligated to shake hands. I'd rather see them head off the court, than have something stupid happen.
                      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Wow! I wonder why I don't remember that?
                        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Well, yeah re M tunnel -- it wasn't as bad. But, to be fair, I can't think of anything WORSE -- at least not in US sports -- than the OSU-M "brawl"/" beatdown. That's gotta be as bad as it gets. So, it doesn't really say much about the M tunnel thing to say it wasn't as bad as that -- nothing is as bad as that.

So, again, Fuck Musselman. And his stupid fucking son. And Arkansas. And Alabam"Alum". And "Dr." Strangelove.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                            Wow! I wonder why I don't remember that?
                            I remember it. It was disgusting. I'm not a OSU fan, but that transcended any sports rivalry. Taylor should have been locked up. Witte should have sued him for future earnings.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

I remember it. It was disgusting. I'm not a OSU fan, but that transcended any sports rivalry. Taylor should have been locked up. Witte should have sued him for future earnings.
                              It's strange, I remember Rudy T/Kermit Washington, but not this, and this was worse than that punch.
                              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I remember the Rudy T thing as well. Rudy had to have reconstructive surgery on his face and had lasting effects since. Tomjanovich was actually trying to be a peacemaker in the scrum that was going on, but Washington thought he was entering the fight. Washington got a 60 day (26 game) suspension, which is still today the longest suspension ever levied by the NBA for an on-court incident.

I'd always hoped that Rudy T would somehow find his way to the bench as Michigan's coach. But, he's 74 now, and retired.

Comment

Working...
                                X