No announcement yet.

MLB and the Detroit Tigers Bandwagon Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I actually like the idea of the Cleveland Spiders.
    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• The Cleveland Lake Fires.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• The Cleveland Privilege

Comment

• The Cleveland Blues. The Cleveland Naps. The Cleveland Forest Citys

Comment

• Good Lord, Giancarlo Stanon hit a bomb tonight

Yankees have been smuggling in steroids in boxes marked "covid tests" i see.

Comment

• With technology today, there is absolutely no reason for the home plate to be calling balls and strikes. Yes, I’m talking to you, Angel Hernandez.
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                With technology today, there is absolutely no reason for the home plate to be calling balls and strikes. Yes, I’m talking to you, Angel Hernandez.
                I'm actually sort of with you on this.

There are a couple of issues, however.

Who will call safe/outs or fair/foul at the plate? What if a batter says he was hit by a pitch. Sometimes all there is, is a sound. Who calls that?

Finally, who will managers kick dirt on, or spit tobacco juice at when they disagree with a call at home? I mean, Billy Martin wouldn't have lasted a year without an umpire to gripe at.
                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I’m not saying eliminate the home plate ump, just stop letting him call balls and strikes. We have technology that can reliably tell if a ball nipped the 3D plate or not. Or if we HAVE to let Angel (and a few others) make consistently bad, game-changing ball/strike calls, give the manager a red flag he can use 5 times a game (or whatever) to challenge.

But let them makes the other calls.

Comment

• I would have no problem with that actually. I've had to work the plate in 100 degree heat, and its not fun to put on all that equipment and stand there for 2-3 hours calling balls and strikes. Its the toughest job on the field other than the catcher. If the home plate ump only had to call safe/out or fair/foul or HBP's, that would be fine with me. Have him stand off to the side and let the computer make the ball/strike calls.

I'd want there to be a rule however, that says managers and players would be immediately ejected for arguing computer called balls and strikes.

One reason why I don't believe that balls and strikes will be taken away from the home plate umpire, is because the managers and players WANT the variable strike zones that human umpires have. Players get used to certain umpires, and how they call the game, and they adjust their games accordingly. Justin Verlander can probably tell you who calls the high strike, and who calls the low strike. He can probably tell you who "calls strikes anywhere between the dugouts", and who has the postage stamp size strike zone. Its part of the game.

But I actually like your idea. Some of the biggest problems I had as an umpire was trying to satisfy both teams on my ball/strike calls. Its nearly impossible.

Comment

• The problem isn’t a plate call that varies from the actual plate, it’s inconsistent ball/strike calls. 8 inches outside, “STRIKE!”. Next inning: 2 inches outside, “ball”. You need consistency.

I was a little league ump for 12 years. It’s a hard gig. But there are some who are consistently inconsistent. At the little league level you can just move on. At the professional level, I have a lot less patience.

Failing that, we need a real QC measure in baseball with teeth. Because AH has some weird de facto tenure that allows this to go on season after season.

Comment

• I loved doing the plate. I can't say my zone was always consistent from game-to-game, but I was usually pretty good intra-game. I was able to reference back what I had called earlier pretty easily. Most good umps can. For little league, consistency at the knees was hard -- there are some tiny ass motherfucking 12 year olds so it was tough sometimes.

Doing the plate also presented the rare chance to do my single favorite call in all sports reffing -- on a play at the plate, point your finger at the catcher, "show me the ball" -- and then an emphatic ring up if he has the ball. 2nd favorite call is bang bang at first with an emphatic double safe sign.
                        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I was in a game once. Only two of us (which was standard). My buddy was behind the plate. Full count. 2 outs. Bottom of the 6th (which was our 9th). It was late. It was hot (102F or something like that). Pitcher threw a foot outside and about chest level. “STRIKE!” Game over.

As we were walking to his truck, I said, “About that call...” Before I could finish, he said, “I have to be at work in 30 minutes.”

I’ve called him Angel ever since.

Comment

• Doing the plate also presented the rare chance to do my single favorite call in all sports reffing -- on a play at the plate, point your finger at the catcher, "show me the ball" -- and then an emphatic ring up if he has the ball.
                            I like that too, and I confess, I've used that many a time. But, you have to be careful, because you've locked yourself into an "out" call if the catcher shows you the ball. You'd look awful silly, and be in for a major league argument if for some reason you said "safe". But yes, I like that one too.

And AA, I've had partners do the very same thing, especially in youth league games that drag on, and on .. and on ... Swing the bat, batter ... stop looking for walks.

Whenever I worked with new umpires, I always told them "strikes are your friend". Have a generous strike zone. It moves the game along. The pitcher knows they can throw strikes fairly easily, and the batters know they better swing if its close. Especially on those scorching hot days.

Comment

• Yeah, you never point and ask for the ball unless he's out.

We actually had a game this year where the ump asked for the ball and the kid showed it to him with his hand. He had sort of had his hand in his glove and pulled the ball out to show him. Big no-no. Gotta show him the ball in the glove otherwise you have to assume he dropped it and picked it up. SAFE for us! WooOOT!

Comment

• The Biebs is on fire. If the Indians can find a closer in Karinchak then they have the pitching to make a run in whatever this season will look like.

But, fuck, man, Biebs can spin that motherfucker.

Comment

Working...
                                X