No announcement yet.

Michigan vs Central Florida - Game Day/Post Game Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow! I came to the M game day thread and the Lions Forum broke out. Ha!
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• No shit. Hannibal staring as chemiclord

Comment

• Nope, Hannibal decided to shut the program down after their maggot-infested wins of 51-17, 63-3.

Comment

• 51-14

Comment

• I guessed on the 63 points too.

Comment

• On the run game....... I was told by an observer of today's game that UCF is one of the few FBS schools that run a true 3/4 defense. They lined up in a 9-wide formation, something they did not show last week.

The 9-wide is an old formation that updated the older blitz heavy defenses of Buddy Ryan. The Lions have run it. Basically it's a three man front with the outside LBs up on the LOS with the safeties up at LB depth along wih the Mike. It's an 8 man front. There's an option for a 9th man if he's an athletic enough FS. UCF has one of those and he is an NFL caliber S. So is UCF's NT. UCF also has a stud CB fully capable of shutting half the field down.

Anyway, the D gave M's OL fits. The only play that consistently beat it was Kalid Hill's full back dive. The reason is that it's the only play where in the run game M had a numbers advantage. The rest of the time, no.

To beat this D, you throw it and throw it more. If you are, LLLLLoyd or Hoke you keep trying to run, the game ends up being close and teams who shouldn't steal one, do. Fortunately, M has Harbaugh and he called on Speight to throw it 36 times for 312y and 4 TDs.

The game was never in doubt, the offense, once again, was efficient scoring 51 points in a rout. I don't think there is a DC who faces M that doesn't first stuff the run. Scott Frost put 9 guys up front and blitzed a lot to do that. He also coached his team to a blow out loss. Good job Scott.

I think there are some great coaching points in this game. Running yourself out of plays because you're too aggressive or loosing contain when a play breaks down are two coaching points for sure. Loosing leverage on the interior OL or letting blitzes get through untouched is another. But the D was better than good enough, a lot better and three big UCF plays over shadowed the the other 56 that were poop.

Not not many teams are going to pound the ball consistently against a defense that UCF put on the field against M and that's fine because Speight is going to cream you if you do. Just too many weapons. Moreover, I don't think M will face that particular type of D again, unless of course an opponent wants to get its ass kicked through the air.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Good post of reason. And calm down folks. At least we're not Northwestern.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                  On the run game....... I was told by an observer of today's game that UCF is one of the few FBS schools that run a true 3/4 defense. They lined up in a 9-wide formation, something they did not show last week.

The 9-wide is an old formation that updated the older blitz heavy defenses of Buddy Ryan. The Lions have run it. Basically it's a three man front with the outside LBs up on the LOS with the safeties up at LB depth along wih the Mike. It's an 8 man front. There's an option for a 9th man if he's an athletic enough FS. UCF has one of those and he is an NFL caliber S. So is UCF's NT. UCF also has a stud CB fully capable of shutting half the field down.

Anyway, the D gave M's OL fits. The only play that consistently beat it was Kalid Hill's full back dive. The reason is that it's the only play where in the run game M had a numbers advantage. The rest of the time, no.

To beat this D, you throw it and throw it more. If you are, LLLLLoyd or Hoke you keep trying to run, the game ends up being close and teams who shouldn't steal one, do. Fortunately, M has Harbaugh and he called on Speight to throw it 36 times for 312y and 4 TDs.

The game was never in doubt, the offense, once again, was efficient scoring 51 points in a rout. I don't think there is a DC who faces M that doesn't first stuff the run. Scott Frost put 9 guys up front and blitzed a lot to do that. He also coached his team to a blow out loss. Good job Scott.

I think there are some great coaching points in this game. Running yourself out of plays because you're too aggressive or loosing contain when a play breaks down are two coaching points for sure. Loosing leverage on the interior OL or letting blitzes get through untouched is another. But the D was better than good enough, a lot better and three big UCF plays over shadowed the the other 56 that were poop.

Not not many teams are going to pound the ball consistently against a defense that UCF put on the field against M and that's fine because Speight is going to cream you if you do. Just too many weapons. Moreover, I don't think M will face that particular type of D again, unless of course an opponent wants to get its ass kicked through the air.
                  There's always an excuse.

UCF went 0-12 last year but they have found the special secret formula for shutting down a potent running game that nobody else has ever discovered. If only Alabama had run this defense against OSU in the pllayoff!

Comment

• Wow, I DVR'ed the game because I was in a golf outing this morning.

Wet blanket Hanni. Yes, we have some concerns. Yes it would have been nice to have a more consistent run game. However, if you read the presser by Speight - the game plan was to throw it early and often. They KNEW that UCF was going to sell out to stop the run. They ran enough to keep them honest, but all along the game plan was to win this one through the air.

This is a hallmark of a good coach and a good game plan. Calm down Hanni - they will be fine. They might not be the best running team in the country, but should still be pretty good this year. Get our defensive stars back, and I bet this is a 51-3 game. The sky is not falling.

Let's see what happens with Colorado and Wisky - Penn State looks like poop, that game is now a gimme.

Comment

• When the Lions ran the wide 9 the best way to beat then was running right at them. They were gashed for a lot of running yards, they would get sacks, but they bad against the run.

Comment

• Can we all agree Deveon Smith is a backup at best and Ty Isaac is a water boy?
                        Monkeys don't sell bananas.

Comment

• I think there is some confusion what the wide 9 is, it's a pass rushing defense where both your DE's are pass rushers and you are disguising where you are blitzing and who is in coverage. It's awful against the run support as the DE's aren't going to help anything between the tackles and the opponents OL/TE can easily block the second level defenders. You usually will see huge gains against the run when you see this defense applied.

I wasn't aware it was a base defense though I don't follow the NFL all that much.

Comment

• What was the final score? Okay then. Don't give a shit about anything else.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                              I think there is some confusion what the wide 9 is, it's a pass rushing defense where both your DE's are pass rushers and you are disguising where you are blitzing and who is in coverage. It's awful against the run support as the DE's aren't going to help anything between the tackles and the opponents OL/TE can easily block the second level defenders. You usually will see huge gains against the run when you see this defense applied.

I wasn't aware it was a base defense though I don't follow the NFL all that much.
                              It shouldn't be a base defense but under Schwartz they ran the formation all the time. They thought it was the best way to utilize Suh.

Comment

• What do you guys think about Speight?
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X