Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Football, Team 138, 2017 Season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds like things are still being negotiated, M is trying to keep him.

Comment

• Wheatley is an interesting case as it sort of illuminates the vagaries of a career in football coaching. I don't think there is any question M doesn't want to lose him but Harbaugh knows to move up you have to move and everything I've read about TW, Sr. suggests he is a good coach in his own right and wants to move up.

I have no idea what the NFL (or other P5s) are offering him (position coach, coordinator, co-coordinator?) but it does not appear that he can obtain coordinator status at M, at least not right now. Sort of a conundrum for Harbaugh and I don't think this is about money; it's about expanding his exerience as a football coach.

It's frustrating to only have top coaches for a short time, like maybe 3y. But that also reflects the change in time horizons of the best, skill position CFB players. Circumstances for these young, talented players almost always favors jumping to the NFL as soon as possible. That aligns with the time horizons of the best CFB coaches who want to be HCs too.
      Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; January 15, 2017, 09:51 AM.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• It sounds like Wheatley is a good recruiter and losing him would be a hit there.

Comment

• Harbaugh knows best, but no doubt this'll be be target on Drevno's back.

Comment

• There was a post yesterday at mgoblog that complied advanced stats on the performance of the OL over the last 3 seasons. In almost every category the OL regressed. Without saying it, he pointed to coaching as the reason for the regression.

A poster did point out that the stats that were used would be greatly influenced by QB play rendering conclusion drawing about Drevno difficult.

Still, while Wheatley Sr. Is being pursued and Fisch is already gone does seem to suggest Drevno, not being pursued it seems, may be THE issue with the OL.'s dubious performance. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out in 2017 and beyond. As has been noted this is where the coaching staff especially JH and Drevno - with a new contract - will earn their keep.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
              It sounds like Wheatley is a good recruiter and losing him would be a hit there.
              That would be my biggest concern.
              I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Wheatley Sr. to Jaguars. This certainly hurts as he was a terrific recruiter, bit of a lateral move though Drevno just landed a 5-year deal as OC and Wheatley might've been hoping for that gig.

Comment

• From mgoblog on the announcement of Wheatley Sr.'s move to the Jags ............

Running backs coach is reputedly easier to replace that most positions, though recent experience in Ann Arbor demonstrates the importance of a good one. Mike Hart, who’s served as running backs coach at EMU and WMU and is currently in that role at Syracuse could be one candidate. Thomas Wilcher, the longtime head coach of Cass Tech, is also available. Harbaugh might even look at someone who isn’t a former Michigan running back. His track record says whoever it is will be good.

Comment

• Running backs coach is a 'recruiting' position.
                    Last edited by WM Wolverine; January 16, 2017, 10:53 PM.

Comment

• There been rumblings of Wheatley and Harbaugh personalities not meshing since last fall and it seems there was some merit to those rumors. If he wanted to leave for a college head coaching job or a OC job in college it would make sense along with be a good career move.

He has been a RB coach since back in Northern Ohio days and nothing else. How many head coaches do you know that were RB coach and then all of a sudden become a head coach. He isn't going to move up to a OC at the NFL level. Going back to another NFL job with the same coach he was with and got fired from in Buffalo only means he wanted to get out of Ann Arbor.

Comment

• Some logic to that, yeah.

Comment

• No clue if this guy has the inside track to replace TW Sr. There's a lot of chatter about him not necessarily about Harbaugh hiring him........

THOMAS WILCHER (1987)
                          Hurdler
                          National champion
                          Four-time All-American
                          Big Ten champion
                          Penn Relays champion

One of Detroit's greatest high school stars, hailing from Detroit Central High School, Thomas Wilcher rewrote the state high school record books and was ranked the No. 1 prep high hurdler in the country. He was also an outstanding football player.

Recruited to Michigan by Bo Schembechler, the demands of football did not slow down Wilcher on the track come national championship time. Highlighted by winning the 1986 NCAA indoor title, he also earned outdoor All-America honors three years in a row (1985-87). Other major victories included winning the 1986 Penn Relays and 1987 Big Ten Outdoor 110m high hurdles. He still holds the school record at 13.52, which he set in 1985.

After college, Wilcher took over the reigns as the head football and track coach at Detroit's Cass Tech High School. He has been named Detroit Free Press Coach of the Year in football and his track teams have won three state titles to date. Among his individual champions is current Wolverine Nick McCampbell.

Comment

• I'd rather have him stay at Cass Tech where he can continue to feed Michigan with the likes of Jordan Lewis and DPJ.

Comment

• What if he wants to come? Do you turn him down? My concern is recruiting. Wheatley proved himself quite adept as a recruiter. Could Wilcher recruit nationally?
                              I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• I endorse him going to Michigan.

Comment

Working...
                                X