Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Football, Team 138, 2017 Season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blame to the coach. Meyer showed in that game what an intelligent and consistent approach to risk-taking looks like.

Comment

• Yea like a fake punt from your own 5 yard line. Its good when the officials have your back.

Comment

• OK, I couldn't find what I was looking for just now, but I think I recall seeing where Harbaugh said something like "We felt at the time that that was the right call..." or somesuch. Contrast that with Meyer on the fake punt: "We said going in that if we saw a certain coverage we were going to fake it no matter what". The key distinction is you make those decisions in advance and you stick to your script in the moment. There's no way you make a sane decision in 40 seconds in the heat of it, so you have to commit yourself in advance. Which Meyer did. It blew up on him once, but his approach to risk still brought better returns.

None of that makes up for the fact that the refs stole the game, I agree. Michigan was the better team by far. Made mistakes you cannot make on the road and still it took a massive intervention to stop it from winning. Egregious. People across the country noticed, which is why Teddy Greenstein was called in to do his single-source "deep dive". I doubt we'll ever see a refjob that obvious again. That it happened to us, benefited them, and in a year when our talent was that old, is going to make it very hard to forget. Meyer is fucking great at his job, but OSU has a long and consistent track record of violations, and it venerates the cheaters of its immediate past. It's a mighty big if, but when and if they are ever called to account, I hope it's an ugly awful spiral.

Comment

• Meyer doesn't need to cheat. Urban might dabble in the gray (keeping student athletes eligible by easy courses) but OSU is in a situation where it's not worth the risk...

Head coaches rarely get involved in cheating as boosters (bag man) are willing to do all the dirty work. Every school has them, most the time it's just helping recruits get to campus on unofficial visits. Sometimes the recruits want and ask for more help than just getting to campus; they want spending cash, parents a job, vehicle, etc. Coaches aren't involved whatsoever as bag man are doing this all on their own.

Comment

• I think you're probably correct. He's not Tressel, who seemed to like get involved in the actual process, both in recruiting and with the ones already in the program. But the bottom line is the bottom line. Theirs is a school with a consistent track record and no remorse -- Tressel can go back and get a hero's welcome a year later. Ours is a school in which Chris Webber is still persona-non grata 25 years later. We are different from each other.

Comment

• Speight has been taking the majority of the snaps with the one’s. Peters has done nothing to separate himself from JOK. The 4 WR sets and quick passing game has begun. They worked on that all summer in 7-on-7’s. They are working on Speight’s mechanics and he can deliver the short ball with good footwork, accuracy, and zip. He needs a lot of work on the long ball. He has some bad habits that most of you witnessed last year.

The fun starts at WR and RB. Bigger, faster, and more athletic across the board. The WR positions along with the slot will not be decided until about 10 days away from the FL game. There is simply that much competition taking place.

At RB, Higdon has been a star, could earn the starting role. Evans needs to have a great fall camp to hold on to the top spot. Isaac is much improved physically and mentally! Walker is slipping. FB is locked up. TE’s are in a battle. It’s kind of a unique group behind Bunting.

There are going to be some heated battles taking place on the right side of the OL. From Center, to RG, to RT. Kugler has a solid hold on the Center spot right now. The other two are truly an open competition.

As for the defense, the DL is rock solid. Kemp has come into his own. He will be a significant contributor. The LB corps is better than last year. Too many athletes there now and so much better in space. The closing speed and coverage is much improved. Hudson is special!

The CB position will settle out this week with the pads on. The players at these positions already know that they had better not be taking plays off or missing practice for minor nicks and bruises. This might be the most hotly contested position group heading in to week 2. The safety position is all but locked up. It’s a matter of who plays behind Metellus and Kinnel. However, Woods is the exception.

With the departure of Kenny Allen the kicking game is off to a very solid start. The only real battle here is at Punter, (for now) and who will be the KR/PR’s.

Comment

• I watched the Colorado game yesterday. Watching the psu game right now.

Comment

• FB is Poggi with Hill just short yardage?

Higdon looked really impressive to me last season and a capable every down back... Evans had a lot of big plays that upped his YPC but deserves credit for those big plays too...

Before practices, some talk Wheatley was really progressing and potentially pushing Bunting. Harbaugh's offense needs a second TE...

Tough to believe the LB's will be better, McCray returns and should be even better... Not having Peppers is a huge loss, maybe Hudson can make that huge loss just a small one... Gedeon was merely good and I can easily see Devin Bush or someone else being as good...

Defensive line IMO was a near all-time great for M and that won't be repeated in '17.
                  Hurst, Winovich & Gary were a big reason why the DL was so successful last season. They made the first unit even more effective by giving them needed rest. Even if the new starters are as on the same level as the graduated NFL draftees: Wormley, Taco (greatly underrated), Godin & Glasgow there will be a significant drop-off with the second unit that in '16 never gave the opposing OL a breather... It could be one of the B1G's best but it won't be anywhere near the all-time great DL it was in '16.

Comment

• This seems a bit odd. Jamie is local Detroit, will be on tv talking more about this tweet tonight.

Jamie Edmonds‏ @Jamie

Hearing Michigan QB decision not made yet, but plan is Speight starts against Florida, Peters next two. Then final decision will be made.

Comment

• I knew her when she worked in Lansing. It's been a few years, but have no idea on God's green earth how she would have any type of scoop on this.

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
                        Speight has been taking the majority of the snaps with the one?s. Peters has done nothing to separate himself from JOK..
                        Please for the love of God say you're joking.

Comment

• I knew her when she worked in Lansing. It's been a few years, but have no idea on God's green earth how she would have any type of scoop on this.
                          Yea, I was going to post that I don't remember her scooping any story before? Let alone Michigan Football. Interesting to see what she says tonight.

Please for the love of God say you're joking.
                          From what I have read, the race isn't and wasn't as close as most fans want, or it's a smokes screen, which I doubt. Peters didn't look good in Rome from all reports. I was hoping Peters developed enough to either win the job outright, or take it after the first time Speight gets dinged.

Comment

• We had better pray that it's a smoke screen. If Peters is still that far behind then that is utterly horrifying.

Comment

• My son is a lot closer to the situation, and sees players on the team daily. We have dinner every Wednesday. Im just the old-man with all the passion - yea what else? Tell me more, tell me more!

Comment

• Look at Solomon just destroy Bredeson damn

[ame]https://twitter.com/AaronBDesigns/status/894268159351508992[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                                X