No announcement yet.

Michigan Football, Team 139, 2018 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the commercial breaks, I was at the Nebraska game and it was horrible. The only saving grace is that we were on the pressbox side of the field and in the shade after the first 10 minutes of the game (and it was still hot). At home now, I DVR the games and start watching about 1 hour after kickoff. That way I can skip almost all of the commercial breaks but still be caught up live by the end of the game.

Comment

• Was interesting to note at the Nebraska game that the scoreboard had a running time for tv timeouts.

Comment

• I DVR the games and start watching about 1 hour after kickoff. That way I can skip almost all of the commercial breaks but still be caught up live by the end of the game.

That's the way to do it.

By the way Wisconsin is at Night, I will be going to that game as well as MSU (as long as its a night)

Comment

• Present at NW too. Makes it so you can sit until 30 seconds on that clock then stand as players return to the field.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• The most intriguing matchup for me is M v Penn State. McSorley is really good, from what I've seen, and really destroyed the M defense last year. Shea P seems to be the same sort of QB -- good wheels and can make passes all over the field. Advantage McSorley based on what I've seen, but an M fan can hope that PSU is Shea's time to shine in a high profile matchup. Penn State's defense doesn't seem to be very good.

Comment

• Shea looks like McSorly when he's running

Comment

• Still can't find a full replay of NW game on Youtube. Usually that's up by Sunday latest. Highlights suggest that passpro is starting to round into form tho. Let's not call it a strength, but mediocrity from that position group would be a huge improvement. Combined with having a very good QB, and that should make a difference in those big games this season. I'm feeling like 3-1 is doable in them. 4-0 if things break right, but that's a big ask.

Comment

• The YouTube video that was initially available was taken down within a few hours of it being posted. The copyright police are starting to get real active on this stuff. In general, the BT owns the rights to these games.

I just searched and could not find a link to the whole game on the interweb, at Fox or at the BTN web sites. Plenty of high lights but not the full game. It appears that the only way you're going to be able to watch a game replay is if you record it yourself.

I could be wrong and if anyone can find a link, post it here. I'll keep an eye out.
                  Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Try this - it doesn't have every play but it's enough:

Comment

• Thanks, Jeff. that 22-minute package is what I'm going on. I could swear I saw the whole game posted by Sunday morning, and was wondering if it was taken down. The Nebraska game is still up though.

Comment

• Ahhhh, Neck Sharpies. So, WTF was going on with Higdon running into brick walls; why didn't M use more of Bench Mason at the goal line?????? Yeah, sure, Down G. That's the thing. Fucking Harbaugh's play calling!!!!

Well, lets start out by saying that Down G was not the primary running play that Harbaugh used v. NW. He did use it v. all other opponents based on how their defenses were deployed but not NW. In fact, he avoided Down G and then used it as a counter. Pure Down G wasn't going to work given the way NW deploys its defense. Seth explains in detail, here are the Cliff Notes.

NW's 4-3 Even makes it strong against Down G and the edge and gives up a weak middle to do that. That makes runs to the A or B gaps a good idea. NW covers that weak middle by deploying their favorite LB, The Gaz, to cover those gaps. Sometimes he did, sometimes he didn't and a lot of his effectiveness sans the dreaded A-Gap blitz depended on how Ruiz or Bench Mason did against him.

Another factor was the NW defense using slants. They'd show a primo formation - the 4-3 Even - for a run through the A or B gaps, then slant into those previously uncovered gaps on the play side. The LB would wait until the mesh point - where Patterson would give the ball to Higdon - and then commit to the gap where Higdon was headed.

Still, the FB Iso or Isolation with Bench Mason works. Mason isolates on the NW LB trying to fill the gap that Higdon will run though preventing him from doing so. This was the first play in Fielding Yost's playbook before the forward pass was allowed. There is a resurgence of it, including the increased use of the FB, for spread teams that want to run power. It's a staple of Harubaugffense and always has been. But yeah, his offense is stale. Heh.

I'll admit, watching the game live, I got frustrated when run plays didn't seem to work even though I could not tell from the stands what was being run. On the end of the field where I sat, I could see a guard pulling that might have been setting up the Down G but then Patterson would throw it usually to the backside of the play as LBs and Ss flowed to the play side based on the pulling guard ..... nice counter. Patterson missed some of those throws, Gentry dropped one and I'm sure there were other drops of that specific play design. But it was nice and, UFR, I can say pretty conclusively that JH uses all kinds of counters in his game plans designed against the specific things a specific opponent does.

The full back iso worked more than it failed. We just saw and remember the stuffs. After all Higdon ran for over 100 yards on 20 caries and, if I remember correctly, the first down runs averaged over 6ypc and the median was 4.5. So, quityerbitchin...... except for not using Mason on FB dives inside the 5 or on short yardage. Meh.

Worth a look. There are some great pictures of the holes Hidon had and terrific accompanying diagrams with explanations. Also, in the comments section is a detailed post from Space Cyote that adds some more important points about the run game.

Shot through the heart, cuz your LB’s too late. [Barron] In a departure from Michigan’s first few games this season, Down G didn’t work against Northwestern, however a sort of similar A-Gap Isolation play was gashing them on the regular. This was not surprising given how Northwestern aligns its front, a thing I noted in the Foe Film last week. Base Set: It's a 4-3 even, the same that Michigan State bases its defense out of. Even when they shifted to an under look they kept the wide splits between the DTs: This is a thing you see Match Quarters defenses do when they like their middle linebacker a lot. The uncovered center can be dangerous since there's nobody to chip him if he releases on a linebacker. If you trust your MIKE to beat that block consistently you can get away with this bubble, making up for it with more strength in the B and C gaps. And here’s how Harbaugh attacked it: Before digging into this let's go over some actual football terminology. That way I can use the jargon later to explain why Michigan's curveball play worked so well against previous opponents, but was not expected to work against Northwestern, and why this cut fastball was devastatingly effective. GAPS, TECHS AND SHADING Ever since offenses learned to pass and run outside, their opponents have had to array their defenses with some points stronger that others. How you set the strong points of your front and react to the weaker points will establish your defensive identity. This starts with where you line up the defensive linemen. They are your fortresses. Linemen are difficult to move, and the linebackers usually will line up at least partially behind those lineman to create an impediment for releasing OL to get a shot at them. Here’s a typical (4-3 over) alignment: Techniques are those little numbers I put between the defensive and offensive lines. They are instructions for the defensive linemen as to how they’re going to line up. When we talk about a “3-tech” for example, that’s a guy who lines up off of a guard’s shoulder. There is no single established numbering system across football so I used what I’m familiar with above. Note the numbers in red correspond to where the defensive linemen are set up. Shading is an instruction to the offensive linemen, often represented in graphics by coloring in all or part of a lineman to show who’s got a defensive player lined up on him. This comes into play with line calls, zone running, or any play that changes up the blocking depending on how the defense aligns. Gaps are represented with letters, and are used by offenses and defenses alike to refer to gap assignments and attack plans. The letters in red denote gaps where a defensive lineman is lined up. An offensive player without a defensive player shaded on him is considered "Uncovered." Under/Over can refer to the front as a whole or a player. "Under" means weakside, "Over" means strongside (the side with the tight end) So in this example alignment you could say the nose is aligned in a 1-tech shaded under the center and attacking the A gap. Now see if you can find the softest spot in that front above. If you said backside B gap you get a lollipop. Not only is nobody lined up in that gap but the nose is on the opposite side of the next gap, leaving the left guard uncovered. To avoid that, a lot of 4-3 teams will put their nose in a “2i” technique, or over the guard’s inside shoulder, especially when the offense is in a spread formation and there are only two LBs back there to help. The gaps that aren’t covered are (usually) the linebackers’ problem. Linebacker gaps are more pliable because they have other responsibilities besides that gap, such as passing, matching pullers, and dodging blocks from offensive players not committed to the linemen. No team stays in the same front with the same linemen attacking the same gaps every play unless they want to be mercilessly attacked by plays that go at their weak points. They’ll shift their fronts, and also slant guys into different gaps than they started in, and blitz their other players to stuff up more gaps. But they also try to spend as much time as possible in the front that best uses their talent. Now, see if you can spot the soft spot in Northwestern’s front: You get a lollipop. [After the JUMP: Why this works so well, and Down G wouldn’t]
                        Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; October 2, 2018, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• This is interesting. I've not paid much attention to Michael Barrett, a 3* recruit from GA (Athlete) who played a lot of different positions in HS including QB. He was recruited to defense and reportedly was worked in as a viper kind of guy in his first camp in August.

He's moving to WR per Harbaugh here:

Interesting move as Barrett was 6' and 208lbs in his recruiting profile. Suspect he's grown a bit. He's going to be a big WR. Maybe a possession type guy like Jason Avant. Loved his ability to make teh big catch in the middle of the field and not get destroyed by the predictable hit that follows these kinds of catches. M needs this.

Comment

• Barrett was recruited as an athlete (HS QB), this move says his future isn't on defense. With M having talented RBs in his class and the next, WR is the only place for him.

Comment

• It also says he's good at football. Not a lot of HS players can play both sides of the ball and do it well. Harbaugh seems to have a preference for guys like this. It would be nice if Barrett did turn out to be Jasaon Avant II.

Comment

• Here's an interesting web site that collects videos of M football and basketball games. Scroll down to Seasons by year then select 2018. All the videos for the 2018 football games are there.

What's weird is when you click on the NW game, you get a warning that the video is blocked because it contains NFL stuff??? There's been plenty of talk about the copy right police being active this season and takin gdown full videos of CFB games broadcast on TV. But there's a link "watch on YouTube." When you click that link it goes to a full game FOX broadcast minus commercial breaks. Who the hell knows ..... the site is active and working now. Fear the copy right gestapo.

Surprise, the video is 2:52:24 long and that includes replays and Fox commentary where a commercial break wasn't done during those. That means there were an 1:10:00 of commercial breaks as the game took just over 3.5h.

Comment

Working...
                                X