No announcement yet.

Michigan Football, Team 139, 2018 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think we got the second coming of John Riggins here. Give him the ball!

I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• I just finished reading the mgoblog offensive UFR and it seems to have some excellent recommendations:

Someone get a smoke check in the offense. If a DB is eight yards off, throw the ball to Collins and you will get a nice gain. Or, like, go deep.

Either add some RPOs or work on more convincing PA. At no point in this game with the super aggressive LBs did they key run or pass wrong. There were some run plays that put them in the wrong gap, but the easy chunk to Gentry over the middle just did not exist.

Maybe we should run over the right side more? Michigan's run game is weirdly left handed, preferring to pull Onwenu instead of Bredeson and rarely clobbering people with the Big Big Boys on the right. Michigan's late surge last year was built largely on grinding people over the right side, and IMO those guys are performing better overall.

More Mason. Mason for all the short yardage. Mason for the mashing of faces as well, he was a perfect +6-0 when doing that against a really good LB. They should try to get him up to half the snaps.

Run straight upfield please, outside WRs. Probably blew three first downs between them. Game might be a lot different if Michigan converts a second and one on the first drive.
      Let's see if Michigan adapts these and prospers or keeps making the same mistakes over and over again.

Comment

• Yeah, I was a bit surprised at Brian's very negative take on the play calling with these caveats:

Does Harbaugh turtle on the road playing very conservatively to avoid risks on offense and defense? My take ..... two road games, two quick starts for opponents, one loss due to clock ran out during potential comeback drive, one win with solid winning drive. There's a pattern here. I think Harbaugh is fine with the low risk approach to a road game where he can establish a degree of control. Felt like he had that v. NW but less so v. ND.

Is Harbaugh sandbagging with restricting the obvious need for QB play change based on where the Ss are? M should punish a defense for sneaking Ss and LBs up by throwing crossing routes short, outs to Collins or deep to DPJ. Is it in the play book, not yet run due to practice time to rep it or not run because it's been reped and ready but don't want it on tape?

On the RO with Patterson keeping ...... it could have been available for a chunk play more often than it appeared to be as a planned call (2, maybe 3X). Is this being restricted to protect Patterson's body?

One nice thing you didn't mention, Dan. Pass-pro and run blocking was excellent across the entire OL v. a well prepared defense for what M does and just a shade below ND's
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• "Neck Sharpies". That name makes no sense.

Comment

• Here are some points form last night's WTKA Round Table:
            • Down 17-0 coming off a bye week?
            • Skill positions erratic play: not sharp, balls dropped, not sitting in zones
            • Niko you are not a slot receiver.
            • Frustrated by Shea: not seeing open guys in front of him, had to pull out a few plays that were already there for him.
            • Northwestern did a good job anticipating what Michigan was going to run: playcalling allowed them to anticipate what to do with their linebackers.
            • Where were the smoke screens? Iso plays were a good wrinkle.
            • Northwestern got by thinking there's no such thing as a Michigan zone read, M been preserving QB health?
            • Give it to Ben Mason on any 4th and short. That's why you got the Big Big Boys.
            • The defense: Unfortunate to give up 17 points on 200 yards.
            • Winovich's Elite Day, the young DL stepped it up. Carlo Kemp dissuaded a throw to the TE
            • Glasgow was fine in Hudson's stead.
            • Cornerbacks: keep calm and don't grab a guy named flynn nagel
            • The slants: good strategy, some bad play, still only gave up <5 YPC. M plays zone about 1/3rd of the time
            • NFL talk: Pat Mahomes for MVP?
            • Maryland: the insane stuff. Their offense is not the kind that works against Michigan's team speed.
            On the point in bold above: I think that's a bit of wishful thinking from M homers. Matt Canada, Maryland's OC and HC in Durkin's absence, has a long track record as an OC doing unique stuff with his offense. There's a hilarious, if not a little scary video that explains the Matt Cavanaugh offense at the link belwo. I say this because M has suffered from quick starts by opponents (ND & NW) requiring M to dig itself out from a big hole. Sure, the D caught up but not after a 21 point lead in the case of ND and a 17 point lead in the case of NW.

With a bye week can Maryland do this to Don Brown? Highly possible. Maryland's offense, while different than NW's, has a much better run game. I think this makes Maryland's offense more of a threat than NW's offense. That's because I recall ND's Winbush - a shitty passer - bomb the heck out of M's D playing a scheme to stop the run. While Kasim Hill may be a shitty passer, will M's D get sucked into overplaying Hills running game in particular and the run in general in this game? We'll see.

BTW, at game time tomorrow, there's a 50-60% chance of rain, a bit less through 4pm then it increases again in the evening. It will also be somewhat windy/gusty early on. Not great football weather. I think it will affect Maryland more than M but will probably limit M's use of the deep ball...... we're likely to see a frustratingly conservative approach from Harbaugh given the weather.

Resources: My full charting, UMD depth chart, UMD roster, Bill C profile, CFBstats, ESPN If Northwestern's Mike Hankwitz is de jure heir to Bo's defensive legacy, Matt Canada carries the most direct claim to Bo's offense, inheriting it through (former Bo player at Miami) Joe Novak, the longtime Gary Moeller and Bill Mallory assistant. While at NIU, Canada and Novak helped write part of the history of spread offense by putting the meatball back in it. When Novak retired (leaving Jerry Kill in charge) Canada went back to Indiana, his alma mater. Michigan fans may remember the Chappelbombing under Bill Lynch: that was Canada. That was also six(!) teams ago. Canada went back to NIU for a year, spent a year coaching Bielema's offense at Wisconsin, spent three years at NC State with Dave Doeren, joined Pitt as Pat Narduzzi's first OC, was bought by LSU, got fired by Orgeron, and landed at Maryland just in time to be the one guy not tainted by everything. At every stop beat reporters have struggled to define Canada as a spread coach who runs much of his offense out of the flexbone. But for Canada, it's never been about where you are at the snap, but the path you took to get there: Matt Canada is the Motion Man, traveling from one campus to another, staying only long enough to set scoring records and sew his particular brand of jet-fueled chaos. After all, the man has two degrees from Indiana. The film: They played this game in a decrepit, leaking NFL building without any drainage because Maryland is one of those college teams that likes to regularly sell its home games to local pro stadiums. Since the Terps weren't expected to win, hard rain was in the forecast, it was 110 degrees with 970% humidity at kickoff, and Maryland had just had their insanely toxic culture exposed by the negligent death of a player, the event was not well-attended. And rain it did. After three quarters of panting in a sweat lodge fans had to wait through an 86-minute weather delay at the start of the 4th quarter (during which fans got to pack into the hallways and watch the media complain about leaks in their covered, air conditioned press box). After that the players were sloshing around in 4 inches of water and Canada stuck almost exclusively to jet action plays out of the flexbone. Maryland looked like the better team but won flukily: Bill C's stats put Maryland at a 30% win expectancy with an adjusted scoring margin of –5.5. It was a weird game. Personnel: My diagram: PDF version, full-size version (or click on the image) This is the first game they'll have the entire starting offensive line playing together though it's hard to tell which injuries are still relevant after a bye week. I'll detail in the OVERVIEW,  [after THE JUMP]
            Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; October 5, 2018, 08:10 AM.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Interesting piece on Rashan Gary by Michael Spath.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                "Neck Sharpies". That name makes no sense.
                Harbaugh used to have a red sharpie that dangled around his neck. Don't know if he still does.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                  Interesting piece on Rashan Gary by Michael Spath.

https://collegesportsmaven.io/michig...E2PKAS3Td1Etw/
                  That is a good read. I don't have a dog in the fight over whether or not Gary is great or just good. I'm no expert in critiquing DEs but I agree with Spath he's an impact player when he's on the field whether or not his stats say is or not.

I've also seen enough stuff on the sidelines, watching live from the stands, when Gary comes out, that suggests he's injured and that he's dealing with one of those chronic problems, probably a Labrum injury, that I posted details about elsewhere. I also think the coaching staff is protecting him by limiting his playing time - a good thing I would think.

I was sad to see Spath leave mgo. He was an excellent contributor. Thanks for linking that piece, Hanni.

Comment

• I watched the NW game again, Gary has to be in pain. Half the plays he was only block by one lineman even getting pushed back without much resistance. Bush had his worst game as a starter, was out of position all game, can't say I remember seeing him make one tackle? Chase refuses to be blocked or stopped - every play- and he never gives up on a play.

Harbaugh used to have a red sharpie that dangled around his neck. Don't know if he still does.

gettyimages-493093182.jpg

Comment

• I knew Ben Mason reminded me of someone: Travis Bickle

"You talkin' to me?"

Comment

• Ben Mason, Fullback....

michigan football, michigan wolverines, university of michigan, college football, NCAA football, football

Comment

• M 9th in (combined) power rankings. Should be favored vs Wisconsin...

Yet to take a closer look at the matchups, but I'd take M right now. Think they matchup pretty well.

Comment

• Hannibal mentioned in the Maryland thread that he thought M's problem was scheme and not so much play calling. I did some digging to try to clarify this a bit in my mind. I agree with Hanni when he says teams have to be able to run on first down but they can't afford to burn 2 or 3 series to set up the big play.

If I've got this right scheme involves schematic diversity and I suppose diversity from a bread and butter play or set although I'm uncertain whether or not that is required. The NFL has a ton of schematic diversity and play variability. IOW, they run different plays out of 2 or 3 sets, those sets kind of defining who they are. From the link below:

Schematic diversity isn't just a philosophy to be tried and discarded; it's a brand for your entire franchise. It's a thought process that permeates the front office, coaching staff and roster. You go out and get the guys who can handle your playbook. You extend the concepts further as your players become comfortable with your ideas. Eventually, if your players and schemes match up ideally, you can take both all the way to a Super Bowl championship.

I boldened the part about extending the concepts ......... To me, it's very clear that JH is doing this. The Maryland game showed what I'd call schematic diversity but it was limited to maybe 6 plays out of the total of 65 run v. Maryland. I suspect there were a lot more of these that my eyeball live and even on replays, I'm not going to pick up. That limited number of plays with schematic diversity must be what Hannibal is talking about. His position would be that M doesn't run enough of those, instead M runs a basic run play like power, down g, IZ, OZ (that usually the defense is expecting because that is what M does), set a series on fire in the process and waste scoring opportunities doing that. I have to agree with that view.

The question for me becomes, how much schematic diversity can you incorporate during each game week that has limits on full padded practice time to 20h per week? The link below does a good job of describing the kinds of plays being run in the NFL that demonstrate schematic diveristy. IMO, Harbaughffense incorporates some, obviously not all of these concepts. Here is a list of the one's I've seen at least 3X or more from Harbaughffense:

RPO (I thought the Maryland game represented a hihg point in Pattersons' ability to make this work. His PAs for the most part were also believable. They haven't been up till now.)

Pick Play (seen it run but I can't recall if it was run v. Maryland)

Mesh (first time I saw this was v. Maryland - it was Bell's TD catch where he screamed across the faces of two defenders and Patterson hit him in stride. Different definition of this term for me)

Bunch (Brian call this Trips in his UFRs but does not differentiate when the receivers form a triangle - a bunch in this article is three receivers in a triangle on one side at the LOL)

Pre-snap motion (Most CFB teams are using this. Matt Canada over-does it and creates circumstances for penalties by doing that. M does it but it's pretty simple stuff.)

Bear Front (Labeled the heavy set where there are no gaps on the OL and in Harbaughffense includes 2 TEs,

So, yeah, I think I get what Hannibal is talking about and I'm all for more schematic diversity so M isn't setting series on fire, like they do a lot IMO. However, I think how much of this Harbaugh can incorporate is limited by practice rules that limit reps. This isn't the NFL and the kids suiting up for M aren't all NFL level player. I think he clearly knows that. I also think when you demystify some of these terms, you can see how complete and robust the offensive mind JH probably possesses is. I'd also note that if this season turns out to be the success we all hope for, it's notable that this is the first season in Harbaugh's tenure at M that all the pieces for success seem to be in place....... or to put it another way, "Eventually, if your players and schemes match up ideally, you can take both all the way to a ....... championship."

The ability to create and disrupt explosive plays with schematic and personnel variation is more important now than at any other time in NFL history. Offenses and defenses are more complex than they've ever been...

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
                              That was awesome - "I don't like to think when I play, I just like to react" - True fullback there ;) Love this guy.

Comment

• Notes from JH Monday Presser re injuries:

Comment

Working...
                                X