Michigan Football, Team 139, 2018 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Detroit Dan View Post

Thanks AA. At least we're back in the playoff conversation -- along with teams such as Ohio State, Georgia, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Texas, LSU, Florida, Penn State, and Washington (Alabama and Clemson are unquestioned top dogs).
    I'd put us in with that second group. I think we'd match up well against Ohio State, Georgia, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Texas, LSU, Florida... not so sure that Penn State and Washington belong in that tier though.

Comment

• Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; October 21, 2018, 07:03 PM.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
        I followed a link to an Article in SBNation that describes them. I'm not really sure how to interpret that number you question. You could be right that M finds itself in 3rd and long only 1/3 of the time and that is better than 128 other Div 1 teams.

I'd tend to think that number - 32.7% is high. You don't want to have an offense that faces 3rd and long that often. When you look at it in the context of the other numbers I posted, I'd tend to think that it's clear M's offense is poor at moving the chains in a consistent manner and scoring (marginal efficiency). Ipso Facto that 32.7% of the time where M faces third and long is not a good thing
        Actually, of all the times that Michigan faces 3rd down, it is 3rd and long (7 yards or more) only 1/3 of the time. That is second best in the country, with all but one other team having a higher percentage of third downs that have 7 or more yards to go. Anyway, that's what I would think and found supporting evidence from looking around at the web Walsh and Connelly stat references. Unfortunately, there's no one clear cut site I can reference. Maybe when Connelly's site comes back up we can confirm.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get the facts straight -- no particular point to make. I'll take a look at the rest of your post later.

Thanks

Comment

• AA is halcyon days the most honorable of word choices here? If you'd meant to say we're living in the past, well, there's a solid argument for that too. But maybe you need this: http://www.jlakes.org/ch/web/The-elements-of-style.pdf. I know it will help you if you plan to participate in my very-popular annual offseason "Hack's Synonyms and Grammar Contest". Everyone starts out with $7000 hackbux. I pick five pairs of word choices and a sentence in which they are to be deployed, and everyone picks a word and an amount to bet...

Comment

• Hack,

You do realize that while 'halcyon' is most often used to describe a succesful time in the past, it is NOT essential that it be used that way? It can refer to any time period of prosperity, success, calm, peace. (See: "a halcyon environ"; "a halcyon atmosphere"; etc).

I do find it funny that you so often attempt to correct my grammar in an off-hand comment on a message board and have been wrong each time. Keep plugging, slugger. You will find me using a word incorrectly one day and will finally be able to honorably celebrate your hard-earned internet victory. I believe in you no matter how pedantic and tiresome I find someone attempting to correct grammar or spelling in an informal setting.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• You are correct that your word choices are not incorrect -- they're just frivolous. As if you'd rather defend the word choice than pick a word that requires no defense.

To be sure, I mean my criticism of your ambitious word choices only in a lighthearted way, and only because I love my country. I am just one citizen contributing what I can to reach a brighter future and to save taxpayers money. I believe that one way the Grammar Police Special Anti-Confused-Showboat Squad can and will declare victory in the War on Clarity.

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I really did have to work extra hard to understand what you meant when you used honorable -- the level of effort required was far more than you'd have gotten from the average politics-thread participant, who would have written you off as less reasonable than you want to be seen as, and really are. Instead of a gentle appreciation for my patience with you and your eager approach, I am now being blamed for your rejection of the collective wisdom of decades of writers far greater than I. No good deed goes unpunished, I guess.

In this case, admittedly, I did know what you meant, but when one makes recreationally flamboyant choices one is going to draw predictable reactions. Life has its consequences. I'd like to just make a lighthearted note of it and move on without you being a suck about it, but if it's really that important for you to make tasteless choices without consequences, that service can be provided. PM me for rates, or STFU and move on.

Comment

• Last edited by AlabamAlum; October 22, 2018, 05:44 AM.
                    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• You insist on denying the collected wisdom of the masters of the art. Life has consequences.

Comment

• AA:

If you get tired of sanctimonious, supercilious is a nice option,too.
                        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Thanks, Talent. Supercilious works well.

I loved when people were complimenting your writing skill last week and hack nearly killed himself trying to insert himself into that praise even though no one had mentioned him.

It was funny, but a bit sad. I am sure the Germans have a word for it.
                          Last edited by AlabamAlum; October 22, 2018, 07:44 AM.

Comment

• Yer welcome, AA. I'm always willing to help those cursed with a limited vocabulary find new options. It's my olive branch to the southerners amongst us. Comity, I say.

On topic: M wins out. I think it would behoove them to find a Clemson or ND loss because you don't want to go into the CFP playing Bama.

Comment

• Last edited by AlabamAlum; October 22, 2018, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• Ultimately, they need Patterson to be a lot better if they want to win the CFP. They can cruise to the B10 with Patterson being meh, but that shit ain't going to fly against Alabama or Clemson. Or even Notre Dame.

Comment

Working...
                                X