No announcement yet.

Michigan Football, Team 139, 2018 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Probert was a cocain sniffing, smuggling thug.

Comment

• But he was our cocaine sniffing, smuggling thug. And he could kick the shit out of any non Red Wing.

Comment

• Heh!

Comment

• One down one to go....

McElwain leaving for HC CMU

Comment

• Assuming your "one to go" is Pep Hamilton ..... his name has come up as Durkin's replacement. SIAP. Reportedly, 4* QB Harrison Bailey, who was CB'ed to M for a while then announced for Tennessee, liked Pep Hamilton. Would not surprise me if was told Pep will probably not be around in 2019 and that prompted his move to UT.

McElwain should be no surprise. Pretty clear he was in stop-over mode when he was hired. Hope Warriner isn't leaving. I'd say he's as good of a bet to have been in stop-over mode as McElwain.

It's obvious that JH needs some fresh input on offense. May have had a bias but watching the best CFB teams play the last couple of Saturdays and then this weekend, it's clear that elite CFB offenses are adopting a very NFL look to them. What I mean by this is that the NFL offenses over the last 10 years, maybe even earlier than that, became very pass-centric and that was to over-come the ability of defenses to shut down just about anything run between the tackles; the outside run game wasn't much better because LBs in the NFL are just too fast and read plays too well.

The next defensive evolution was dominant DE play producing QB pressures that made it difficult for offenses to use long developing PA pass plays ...... QBs who could release the ball in under 3 seconds with accuracy or were mobile enough to evade sacks and improvise thrived. The RPO was made fashionable by the Eagles and the NFL started adopting some of the 4 and 5 receiver spread concepts from CFB.... most notably the under routes by fast slotty types that punished blitzing LBs and Ss playing up and/or could flat out-run the inherent mismatches produced with these routes.

Anyway, Pep's long developing PA pass plays should be shit-caned. Patterson has the skill set, much of it, it appears, was miss-used by M this season, to be the kind of sharp-shooting QB that can be a part of an elite offense. He's got a quick release and is accurate. He can go long off a quick release too. The receivers are definitely there. All the pieces are there on M's roster to improve the offense in 2019. When you have QBs that can release the ball accurately, short and long, OL play can be optimized to that kind of passing game and is much less susceptible to disruptive DE play and blitzers when that QB is throwing the ball in under 3 seconds.

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• My brother-in-law was lukewarm in the McElwain hire for CMU. He wanted someone young.

Comment

• The hype for Harrison Bailey to M lasted about 36 hours, didn't last long enough for me to take it serious. Was surprised we were even in his final 2, I knew it was a very distant second. Another season where I don't like the QB recruits except for a handful mostly committed...

Hopefully at least one of Milton and McNamara are good college QBs.

Comment

• "Biggest win for Michigan in 15 years"

Sad but true.

Comment

• Incredibly. I hope lessons will be learned, but doubt it.

Comment

• On lessons learned ..... I'm in agreement with you. My sense, at least from appearances, is that the coaching staff looks at the ass-railing delivered by osu and post-mortem says, well, shit happens or you have games like this, etc. etc. Harbaugh's post game comment, "we just have to make sure it doesn't happen again, move on to the next game....." doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that the coaches think they might need to rethink the Fortress M approach to today's game of CFB.
                      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Oh, no -- I mean at the president/regent level. They sat around hiring their friends and getting sloppydrunk at Nebraska games.

I have no doubt Harbaugh and Brown are going to kill themselves getting a win against OSU this year. We'll see if they actually can get it done.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                          Oh, no -- I mean at the president/regent level. They sat around hiring their friends and getting sloppydrunk at Nebraska games.

I have no doubt Harbaugh and Brown are going to kill themselves getting a win against OSU this year. We'll see if they actually can get it done.
                          Got it ......

To your have no doubt thought. I'm not sure. I think Don Brown is who he is and at M and in the BIG, given the majority of QBs/offenses he's going to face in conference, he's not going to play a lot of zone. In most situations, he sacrifices stopping the run to defend against the pass playing more zone. He's also dealing with an average interior DL that can't get pressure on good OLs and despite the criticism, osu's OL was pretty good. So was ND's ..... both M losses.

Those two have it baked into their football minds that the way to win games is with a run-centric offense playing to a lock down defense and a good ST plays. It doesn't appear to me that they would entertain or implement a significant shift away from that overall strategy by putting a more diverse passing attack into the offense and playing a bit less aggressively on defense.

Comment

• For both 2015 and 2018 the team looked really unprepared. I'm not in love with the scheme but the two blowout losses that we suffered in 2015 and 2018 went beyond scheme.

Comment

• It's one thing to lose to UFM. M fans hate him and hate losing to him and hate everything about him, but they know he's UFM. Even then, this year's loss cut to the soul and foundational belief in the greatness of Don Brown.

But, man, it's an entirely different thing to lose to some first-year young pup with no credentials. I can't even imagine where M fans will be if Coach Day does the unthinkable and goes up to AA and somehow manages to eke out a win against HARBAUGH!!!! The amount of pressure on M to win in 2019 is going to be through the roof.
                              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Don Brown would be better if he could get over his hatred of Quarters coverage.

Comment

Working...
                                X