Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
    Governor of Puerto Rico says it'll take 4-6 months to restore electricity across the island. Good Lord.
    We'll have to send in the military to support FEMA if its that bad.

Comment

• The 5 best covers of all time. You can disagree, but you would be WRONG:

"All Along the Watchtower" This is a Bob Dylan song, but Jimi made it his.

"Get By With a Little Help from my Friends" Joe Cocker's version is just better than the Beatles.

"Hurt" Johnny Cash. Got nothing against NIN, but if you know Cash's life, you know this song could have been directly written about him.

"Sound of Silence" Disturbed. I'm a Simon and Garfunkel fan, but this just has more....something.

"Stairway to Heaven" Dolly Parton. I'm not a country fan usually, but this is just less plastic than Zepp's original.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• That damn wedding song!

Comment

• Any list of remakes that doesn't have this one on it is bullshit.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G4jnaznUoQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G4jnaznUoQ[/ame]

Comment

• I cannot believe AA has gone against Ringo's finest vocal performance, this aggression will not stand, man.

Comment

• "Sound of Silence" Disturbed. I'm a Simon and Garfunkel fan, but this just has more....something.

I have to take my kids to school, but AS SOON AS I AM BACK there will be a discussion that I will lead in which we will be talking about drawing a line in the sand, man. It has more "slow it down so it'll seem more trenchant", and that's all it has. It's fucking terrible. That's your one.

The Johnny Cash one is evidence you know what you're talking about. His cover of U2's one is my favorite example of an artist (Bono) failing to understand his own material, and Johnny showing up and showing him how it's done.

Comment

• I give Hack credit for being consistent on One after all of these years. He's wrong of course, but he has consistency on his wrong opinion. The Cash version is fine, but it fails to match the original as all covers of the song do, it isn't a showcase for Bono but a showcase for the vocals of Edge.

I'll take NIN for Hurt. I might take Cash over Soundgarden for Rusty Cage, only because Soundgarden's version doesn't know how to end the song.

A best cover list needs the Ryan Adams version of Wonderwall. Liam generally soars on rockers but not ballads.

Comment

• Good memory. It's a drum I have banged more than a time or two. IMO it's a showcase for Bono to be a Bono-filled complete fucking idiot, is what it is.

You do have to have something from Rod Stewart on any top covers list, IMO. Before he went full buffoon, holy hell did he know how to interpret other people's music. Reason to Believe, Tomorrow is a Long Time, others available too. His Man of Constant Sorrow might not be one of the best covers ever, but it is damn good.

Comment

• I disagree re: Disturbed. I thought his vocals were excellent and his deeper voice required a slowing of the tempo. That said, I love both versions. They each evoke different emotions.

Cash also covered Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus" and did a great job.
                    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• You said it last night after that workout you had just returned from, and I was holding on to that as a valid excuse for your having this opinion. You still have it, though. If you tell me you can't stand the fucking Eagles then you will have to get the fuck out of my cab.

One of the best covers is Cher's version of Superstar, which I think I posted a few weeks ago. I can't fucking stand Cher, and it is the last track on an album in which she seems to completely miss the point of the material she's singing, but oh my she nails this one. A whole bunch of people sang it, but hers is best.

Comment

• Dave Matthews does the best all along the watchtower guys. Seriously, AA will fuck anything up.

Comment

• Bono, Cher, Rod Stewart, Dave Matthews...this thread has gone full Birdcage.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

• Oracle? You take Dave Matthews over Jimi Fucking Hendrix?

I don't even know who you are anymore.

Comment

• Dave Matthews did a great Angel from Montgomery.

Comment

• That Disturbed cover is only worth listening to if Beavis and Butt head are commenting on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X