X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
    Smokescreen?

Why?
    Only thing I can think of is if they think one guy is the sure thing 2nd best qb in the draft and they don't want the Jets even thinking about taking that guy or trading

Actually, or maybe just so they really do get the best workout from all these guys just in case
    WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• The only thing I can think of is that maybe they're trying to get the Jets to think about Jones at #2, and they figure they might as well give it a shot?

Comment

• That's a bunch of foolishness that has no way of working. But okay. After Quinn's (2020) "Nobody wants to trade with me. Waaaaaa," I guess I can't knock them from trying. BUT, why give up all those picks to go up there and play these games? Because they can, I guess.
        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• I would think you would have a guy you love soooo much that you're willing to give up the "Matt Stafford" deal for. They should have just traded for MS.
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Giants know aggressive offseason could make next year challenging cap-wise

Posted by Josh Alper on April 21, 2021, 7:06 AM EDT

Getty Images

The Giants have made the playoffs once since winning Super Bowl XLVI and they’ve gone 18-46 over the last four seasons, so it was little surprise to hear co-owner John Mara say recently that he’s getting impatient for the team to put up better results.

That impatience played out in free agency. The team usually avoids contract restructures that push cap hits down the road, but they did several of them as they moved to sign wide receiver Kenny Golladay, cornerback Adoree' Jackson, and tight end Kyle Rudolph as free agents under a shrinking salary cap.

Defensive lineman Leonard Williams also re-signed on a long-term deal and assistant General Manager Kevin Abrams admitted on Tuesday that it was “uncommon” for the team to be so aggressive. Abrams suggested that 2022 could be a more difficult landscape to navigate as a result of the moves.

“I’m more optimistic that nothing that we’ve done last year or this year puts us in any kind of precarious position,” Abrams said, via the team’s website. “Next year could be a little bit of a challenge, we’ll see. It’s going to depend on science and state legislatures and fans in stands and a lot of other variables and we’ll see where it goes. I don’t think we’re in a bad spot cap-wise, but next year could be a little more challenging than probably the years after that.”

If the Giants can shake off the losing stench they’ve had for the last four years, it will make it a lot easier to stomach any bills that come due next offseason. If they can’t, it’s hard to believe the changes will be minor ones around the organization.

Comment

• Jameis Winston: I’m outworking everyone at my position

Posted by Josh Alper on April 21, 2021, 6:48 AM EDT

Getty Images

Taysom Hill has shifted the focus of his offseason workouts to playing quarterback full-time ahead of his competition with Jameis Winston for the starting job in New Orleans.

During a speech to kids at a football camp held by one of his Florida State teammatess, Winston spent some time making it clear that he’s putting in time to make him the Saints’ choice as well. Winston traced his own career trajectory from first overall pick to taking on a backup role in New Orleans last season.

Winston said “it’s been tough” and that there will continue to be “challenging days,” but that he is approaching them with a redoubled work ethic.

“I went from being the No. 1 draft pick to being . . . everybody laugh at me. But guess what? I’m about that business. I’m outworking everybody at my position. I’m doing things every single day. Commit to the dream. Because that’s the thing, we have to go back to being little kids about this football game. Because this is a kid’s game that men play,” Winston said, via Jeff Nowak of NOLA.com.

The Winston-Hill competition will be a crucial storyline for the Saints’ season and it seems both players will be coming into it with a full head of steam.

Comment

• Lavonte David discusses Jameis Winston’s “eat a W” speech

Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2021, 9:23 PM EDT

Getty Images

Many shook their heads when witnessing former Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston‘s notorious “eat a W” pregame speech. Among those who shook their heads were Winston’s teammates.

“I was right in the heart of it,” linebacker Lavonte David told TheUndefeated.com, via JoeBucsFan.com. “My boy Jameis, he’s a very, very, very energetic, animated guy. That was just something that he thought up off the top of his head. And he came out with it and it was weird, man. It was weird, honestly. He knows it was weird. Everybody wasn’t really thrilled with it for a hype-up speech, but unfortunately, that’s going to follow my guy Jameis for his whole career.”

The speech happened in New Orleans, before a 2017 game against the Saints. Tampa Bay lost the game, 30-10.

“He meant well by it,” David said. “But that particular thing didn’t go over well with the rest of the team, and the outcome of that game kind of proved it. It definitely was something that kind of caught me off guard. I was kind of like, ‘What?’ It is what it is, though. We all love Jameis. He meant well. He’s a great competitor, but unfortunately, that’s going to follow him for a long time.”

Winston spent five years with the Buccaneers. He signed with the Saints in 2020, and he signed another one-year deal to stay in New Orleans for 2021.

Last year, Winston’s Saints ate a pair of regular-season W’s against the Buccaneers. Tampa Bay, however, ate the one W that mattered most, in the playoffs.

Comment

• Jordan Reed: Lingering concussion issues led to retirement

Posted by Josh Alper on April 20, 2021, 2:35 PM EDT

Getty Images

Tight end Jordan Reed announced his retirement from the NFL on Tuesday and reflections on his career noted that injuries got in the way of what was shaping up to be a prolific career as a receiver.

Concussions were among those injuries and complications from them kept Reed from playing at all during the 2019 season. He was able to play 10 games for the 49ers last year, but told John Keim of ESPN.com that he still felt the impact of previous head injuries and that consulting doctors led to his decision to retire.

“I was pretty sure I was going to keep playing; I was feeling good about where I was at,” Reed said. “But then I had some lingering effects and sought out professional help to get diagnosed. They told me it was not a good idea to keep playing. I agreed with them. . . . Before when I had a concussion I would feel better afterwards and I wouldn’t have lingering effects,” Reed said. “If I didn’t have any symptoms I would have kept playing. I’m OK with it because I know the reason why I’m making the choice is for family and my children, so I can be there for them. It’s just time.”

Reed said his post-football plans include getting into the cannabis industry after choosing to use it rather than opiods to deal with pain during his playing career.

Comment

• First position-specific helmet ranks No. 2 in NFL lab testing

Posted by Josh Alper on April 20, 2021, 2:25 PM EDT

Getty Images

Helmet maker Vicis introduced the first position-specific helmet and the NFL announced on Tuesday that it has performed well in its first round of laboratory testing.

The Vicis Zero2-R Trench helmet is designed for offensive and defensive linemen and it ranked second among all 41 helmet models tested by the league. Another new Vicis model, the Zero2-R Matrix, ranked first and a third, the Zero2-R, rounded out the top three.

“Players have more and better choices than ever before. Continued improvement in helmet design has raised the bar for top performing helmet models,” NFL Executive Vice President Jeff Miller said in a statement. “The introduction of the first position-specific helmet is a promising development within the helmet industry to further customize helmets for the unique safety requirements of each position. The NFL and NFLPA have long supported critical innovation in helmet design through our research and innovation challenges and by providing necessary data to manufacturers, and we’re excited for that effort to yield tangible results.”

The league also noted that three helmets were added to the list of prohibited models and that more than 99 percent of the league’s players used “top-performing” models during the 2020 season.

Comment

• Panthers announce DaQuan Jones signing

Posted by Josh Alper on April 20, 2021, 1:41 PM EDT

Getty Images

Tuesday morning brought word that defensive lineman DaQuan Jones was visiting with the Panthers and that the visit was expected to end with a deal for Jones to play for Carolina.

Expectation became reality on Tuesday afternoon. The Panthers announced that they have signed Jones to a one-year deal.

Jones was a 2014 fourth-round pick of the Titans and he spent the last seven years with the AFC South club. Jones started every game the Titans have played over the last three seasons and made 93 starts over his entire run with Tennessee.

He had 49 tackles, two sacks, and a forced fumble last season.

With Kawann Short and Zach Kerr leaving the team this offseason, Jones will likely play a role beside Derrick Brown on the interior of the Panthers defensive line.

Comment

• Another stupid rule change- the NFL has announced certain positions have expanded number availability
                        imagine a Middle linebacker #2 sacking a QB #2 because RB #1 missed a block.
                        The NFL is doing their best to look like stupid college. The divas will all fight to get # 1 because football, the ultimate team sport , is all about ME,ME,ME!!!

Comment

• NFL schedule to be released Wednesday May 12. Time to plan some road trips baby

Comment

• Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                              JOHN HARBAUGHHC, BALTIMORE RAVENS
                              Ravens head coach Jim Harbaugh said the team would "try and get" wide receivers in the 2021 NFL Draft.
                              John Harbaugh?

"Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Report: Ex-Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields has revealed epilepsy diagnosis to NFL teams

Widely expected to be a top 10 selection in the NFL draft, ex-Ohio State QB Justin Fields has reportedly informed teams of an epilepsy diagnosis.
                                "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                X