X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NFL’s quest for 18 games continues, more than a decade later

Posted by Mike Florio on July 19, 2021, 9:46 AM EDT

Getty Images

The NFL finally has managed to expand the regular season from 16 to 17 games. The NFL still wants to expand the regular season to 18 games.

It’s a desire that has existed for years. In an excellent oral history of the 2011 lockout, Daniel Kaplan of TheAthletic.com shares a nugget that underscores the duration of ownership’s desire for 18 regular-season games.

“We were in separate rooms, the players in one, the owners in the other,” Giants co-owner John Mara told Kaplan. “And Jerry Jones said, ‘I’m going to go in there and I’m going to sell them on 18 games.’ I said to Jerry, ‘You have no chance of doing that.’ He said, ‘You watch me.’ I said, ‘Jerry, if you go in there and sell them on 18 games I will wear a Cowboys jersey in Times Square every day for the next week.’ We all go in there, as soon as he mentioned 18 games, ‘No way. Absolutely not. We’re not even discussing.'”

Obviously, Jerry failed to make the sale. The strategy emerging from the 2011 CBA also failed to get the players to agree to 18 games.

The deal that ended the lockout swapped the NFL’s previous ability to unilaterally add two games for the ability to shrink the preseason by two weeks. At the time, the league planned to eventually cut the preseason in half, hopeful that the union would see the impact of the lost weeks on the salary cap and then volunteer to add two regular-season games in order to offset the losses. The owners, however, never got to the point where they believed that strategy would work, because the players were so vehemently opposed to playing 18 regular-season games — and because the financial impact of losing two weeks of the preseason affects the individual players far less significantly than it would affect the individual owners.

Last year, the owners got to 17 games by making it clear from the outset of talks that the next deal would entail 17 games. The union knew that, if the league didn’t get 17 games voluntarily, it would reprise the 2011 lockout and, at some point, get the 17th game.

The question now becomes whether the league can finagle an 18th game before the current CBA expires in a decade. As legalized sports betting continues to spread throughout the country and the value of each additional game mushrooms, the two sides may realize that they want/need to add what would be another 32 total games in order to capture the extra cash. The union, however, may decide to publicly insist that 18 won’t happen, hopeful of privately ending up with an even better deal when finally agreeing to it.

Regardless, the NFL has wanted 18 games for more than 10 years. Chances are that, within the next 10 years, the NFL will finally get it.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• MELVIN INGRAMDL, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
      Free agent LB Melvin Ingram will visit the Steelers.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora added that the Steelers had interest in Justin Houston but the two sides could not strike a deal. He also noted that Ingram could be the first of multiple visits for Pittsburgh this week. The Steelers lost Bud Dupree in free agency and have yet to make a move to replace him. Ingram has finished the year on injured reserve in two consecutive seasons but still garnered interest from a handful of teams this offseason. He was unable to record a single sack during his seven games in 2020 but picked up seven sacks in his 2019 campaign.

... See More
      RELATED:
      SOURCE: Jason La Canfora on Twitter
      Jul 18, 2021, 5:09 PM
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• RUSSELL OKUNGT, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
        Free agent OT Russell Okung is “waiting for the right situation” before signing with a team.

Okung is willing to skip training camp as he waits out teams. The 32-year-old was limited to seven games with a calf injury in his only season with the Panthers. The Chiefs “checked in” on Okung in March and he’s been linked to the Steelers. Okung, who’s fully healthy, could see his market heat up if a team loses a tackle in camp.

SOURCE: ProFootballNetwork
        Jul 17, 2021, 12:43 PM

Comment

• JURRELL CASEYDL, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
          Free agent DT Jurrell Casey has “multiple offers” from teams.

Casey, released from Denver in February, has interest but “isn’t close to signing.” The Broncos made Casey a cap casualty after he lasted just three games before landing on IR last year. One of the league’s top interior rushers when healthy, Casey had at least five sacks in his previous seven seasons. Casey, who’s 10 months removed from surgery, is holding out for a better deal. The five-time Pro Bowler should be fully cleared when training camp starts.

SOURCE: ProFootballNetwork
          Jul 17, 2021, 11:37 AM

Comment

• Saints To Pursue Xavien Howard If Dolphins Make Him Available For Trade

July 18th, 2021 at 12:09pm CST by Rory Parks

The Saints have been linked to free agent cornerback Richard Sherman throughout this offseason, but Sherman’s recent legal troubles have probably severed that link, at least for the time being. Still, New Orleans would probably like another quality corner to line up opposite Marshon Lattimore, and GM Mickey Loomis could have his eye on one of the best DBs in the league.

According to Jeff Duncan of The Athletic (via Twitter), the Saints will be heavily involved in the bidding for Dolphins cornerback Xavien Howard should Miami make Howard available via trade. Howard has four years remaining on his current contract, so the Dolphins are understandably reluctant to rework it, but Howard is said to be dug in on his desire for a new deal. If player and team cannot find some common ground, Howard could be on the move, despite the blow that would deal to Miami’s hopes of contention in 2021.

Though the five-year, $75MM pact Howard signed with the ‘Fins in 2019 made him the highest-paid corner in the league at the time, his $15MM AAV is now the sixth-highest mark in football. And on the heels of a terrific 2020 season in which he led the league with 10 interceptions and graded out as the second-best CB in the NFL per Pro Football Focus’ advanced metrics, Howard is trying to strike while the iron is hot.

Howard is attached to a $12MM salary for 2021, so the Saints, who have about $10MM of cap space, would need to carve out some room to accommodate a Howard acquisition (unless Miami kicks in some cash). But financial constraints never seem to be much of an issue for Loomis, who, along with vice president of football administration Khai Harley, continues to manipulate the cap in new and creative ways.

Obviously, Howard’s desire for a market-topping contract wouldn’t change if he ends up in New Orleans, so Loomis would also need to be prepared to pony up a $20MM/year deal in addition to premium draft capital. Such a maneuver could lead to a Lattimore departure in 2022, but at least for one season, the Saints would boast perhaps the top CB duo in football.

Although the Dolphins still have leverage over Howard given the amount of time left on his contract and the hefty fines that the CBA imposes for training camp holdouts, veteran NFL reporter Michael Silver says trade chatter is swirling around the 28-year-old (Twitter link). Silver adds that Howard is unlikely to get the new deal he wants from Miami, and that there are several teams in win-now mode that are considering a trade. He does not specifically name the Saints as one such club, though New Orleans does profile as a win-now outfit.

With training camp fast approaching, there should be more clarity on Howard’s future fairly soon.

Comment

• Justin Fields visits Chicago gunshot survivor who wouldn’t die before seeing him play

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 20, 2021, 4:33 AM EDT

Scott Morrow

Last month a Chicago resident named Scott Morrow was walking down the street when he suddenly felt a sharp pain and collapsed to the ground. He had been shot in the back and was now in a fight for his life, but as he rode in an ambulance to a nearby hospital, he was inspired by the thought of Justin Fields.

A lifelong Bears fan, Morrow thinks Fields has what it takes to be the best quarterback Morrow has ever cheered for, and he wants to live long enough for it to happen.

“Within a couple moments, I thought well, I’m 41, pretty much all of Chicago has gone our whole lives without even having great prospects for a franchise quarterback, I can’t die before seeing Justin Fields take the field,” Morrow said on 670 The Score. “I don’t plan to die before he’s a Hall of Famer.”

When Fields heard about that, he decided to pay Morrow a visit while he recuperates. Morrow documented it on Twitter.

Just met Bears rookie QB and future Hall of Famer @justnfields (as well as his lovely parents)! I can’t believe they came out to to visit a little ol’ gunshot victim,” Morrow wrote.

Morrow’s GoFundMe page says that he still has a long road to recovery, after having his spleen and one kidney removed, as well as damage to his stomach, pancreas and abdomen.

Comment

• Report: Geno Atkins cleared for all football activity, is expected to take visits soon

Posted by Charean Williams on July 19, 2021, 6:02 PM EDT

Getty Images

The last we heard anything about free agent Geno Atkins, he was expected to be cleared for all football activity by July 1. That has, in fact, happened.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Dr. Dan Cooper, the Cowboys’ team physician, gave Atkins the go-ahead in mid-June to return to action. Atkins is expected to “start taking visits and weighing interest soon,” according to Rapoport.

The Bengals released Atkins on March 19, and he has remained a free agent since.

The defensive tackle is coming off a torn rotator cuff that required surgery in January.

Atkins, 33, played 11 seasons in Cincinnati and made eight Pro Bowls. He was first-team All-Pro in 2012, 2015 and 2016.

Atkins made 384 tackles, 172 quarterback hits and 75.5 sacks with the organization.

Comment

• NFL knows it must reconsider accountability for hiding and faking injuries

Posted by Mike Florio on July 19, 2021, 5:11 PM EDT

Getty Images

The NFL publicly has had nothing to say about the news that quarterback Tom Brady played the entire 2020 season with a torn MCL in his knee without the Buccaneers ever disclosing the injury. Privately, the NFL recognizes the potential problems that can arise from teams violating the injury report.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the league realizes that it must reconsider the degree of accountability when it comes to the hiding and/or faking of injuries. Last year, the league had a handful of situations involving failure to report injuries, and at least two situations where the league identified the faking of an injury during games.

The league has approached these matters with less and less transparency, refraining from making it known to the world that its teams lie and cheat when it comes to injuries. Put simply, the league doesn’t want those who may regulate (or prosecute) responsible persons to realize how widespread the problem is. The league nevertheless knows that it must insist on greater compliance in order to prevent future problems with politicians or prosecutors, and that could result (sooner or later) in the league-imposed penalties increasing for violations — along with a more aggressive effort by the league to enforce infractions.

Flipping widespread violations to uniform compliance will require a dramatic shift in the culture of secrecy that prompts teams to keep opponents in the dark when it comes to the true health or lack thereof of its players. The Buccaneers understandably hid Brady’s knee injury to keep defensive players from “testing” the knee. One hit, intentional or accidental (or “accidental”), could have ended the season for Brady and, in turn, for the team.

Thus, it won’t be easy to get teams to embrace the importance of transparency and accuracy regarding injury information. It’s nevertheless critical to do so. Without compliance, inside information exists. Gamblers will try to find it. Persons who have it could be contacted and potentially corrupted for it. Those relationships could grow, and what began as an effort to obtain inside information regarding the health of a given player could expand. Eventually, depending on the role of the person involved, efforts could be undertaken to shave points or rig a prop bet.

Put simply, inside information becomes the potential gateway for gamblers to infiltrate the sport. It already may be happening. It possibly has been happening for years. As legalized sports betting spreads, however, a renewed urgency emerges to create a clear and potent firewall. That begins with eliminating inside information when it comes to injury, and thus making the pursuit of inside information fruitless.

Of course, other types of inside information will remain. That’s why the league must be concerned not only about minimizing inside information but also about protecting the inside information that exists. It’s one of the biggest current threats to the integrity of and public confidence in the game of professional football, because the legitimization of sports gambling puts public skin directly into the game — and that will invite public officials to take steps to ensure that the millions of dollars in hard-earned money now legally wagered on games won’t be undermined by shenanigans driven by certain gamblers and facilitated by certain players and/or coaches.

Comment

• Melvin Ingram signing with Steelers

Posted by Myles Simmons on July 19, 2021, 4:25 PM EDT

Getty Images

Apparently the visit went well.

The Steelers hosted former Chargers edge rusher at their facility on Monday. Now before the close of business, the veteran has agreed to sign a one-year deal with the club, according to multiple reports.

Ingram told reporter Josina Anderson that he was heading out of town after completing the deal.

“It’s definitely a dope organization and environment; so I definitely feel like it’s the place for me,” Ingram told Anderson. “I met with coach [Mike] Tomlin. You can tell he’s very involved and a players coach. That’s what stood out to me. He wants to win and that is what I am on. My role is role. He just told me to come in and be me. Everyone knows how I play.”

The Steelers have star T.J. Watt on one side at edge rusher and Alex Highsmith is expected to take over as a full-time starter for his second season.

In 113 career games, Ingram has 49.0 sacks, 70 tackles for loss, and 108 quarterback hits. He played just seven games last season while dealing with knee issues. While he did not have a sack, he did record an interception, a pair of passes defensed, and five QB hits.

Comment

• NFL Network to air a record 23 live preseason games

Posted by Myles Simmons on July 19, 2021, 2:43 PM EDT

USA TODAY Sports

The NFL eliminated one week of the preseason to create a 17-game regular season. But what the league has dubbed its “biggest season ever” will begin with more exhibition matchups than ever before on NFL Network.

The NFL announced on Monday that a record 23 live preseason games will be carried on NFL Network in August, with quadruple-headers in Week One and Week Two, plus a pair of triple headers in Week Three.

The league’s press release touts rookie quarterback Mac Jones’ debut for the Patriots as part of the first matchup between New England and Washington on Thursday, Aug. 12. No. 1 overall pick Trevor Lawrence’s likely preseason debut for the Jaguars will also be televised, with Jacksonville taking on Cleveland on Saturday, Aug. 14.

The game between the Jaguars and Browns is part of the first quadruple-header on NFL Network. They’ll televise Dolphins vs. Bears at 1 p.m. ET, Broncos vs. Vikings at 4 p.m. ET, Browns vs. Jaguars at 7 p.m. ET, and Chargers vs. Rams at 10 p.m. ET. That final contest will be the first game with fans at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, Calif.

The following Saturday, Aug. 21, will feature another quadruple-header. And the preseason will finish up with triple-headers on Saturday, Aug. 28 and Sunday, Aug. 29.

NFL Network will also show the rest of the league’s preseason slate throughout the month on a re-air basis.

Below is the full schedule of live preseason games on NFL Network, which will be blacked out in the participating teams’ home markets that are airing the games locally.

PRESEASON WEEK 1

Thursday, Aug. 12
                      7:30 p.m. ET — Washington vs. New England

Friday, Aug. 13
                      7 p.m. ET — Buffalo vs. Detroit
                      10 p.m. ET — Dallas vs. Arizona

Saturday, Aug. 14
                      1 p.m. ET — Miami vs. Chicago
                      4 p.m. ET — Denver vs. Minnesota
                      7 p.m. ET — Cleveland vs. Jacksonville
                      10 p.m. ET — L.A. Chargers vs. L.A. Rams

Sunday, Aug. 15
                      1 p.m. ET — Carolina vs. Indianapolis

PRESEASON WEEK 2

Thursday, Aug. 19
                      7 p.m. ET — New England vs. Philadelphia

Friday, Aug. 20
                      8 p.m. ET — Cincinnati vs. Washington

Saturday, Aug. 21
                      1 p.m. ET — Buffalo vs. Chicago
                      4:25 p.m. ET — New York Jets vs. Green Bay
                      7:30 p.m. ET — Detroit vs. Pittsburgh
                      10 p.m. ET — Las Vegas vs. L.A. Rams

Sunday, Aug. 22
                      1 p.m. ET — New York Giants vs. Cleveland
                      7:30 p.m. ET — San Francisco vs. L.A. Chargers

PRESEASON WEEK 3

Friday, Aug. 27
                      8 p.m. ET — Minnesota vs. Kansas City

Saturday, Aug. 28
                      1 p.m. ET — Green Bay vs. Buffalo
                      7 p.m. ET — Chicago vs. Tennessee
                      10 p.m. ET — L.A. Chargers vs. Seattle

Sunday, Aug. 29
                      1 p.m. ET — Jacksonville vs. Dallas
                      4 p.m. ET — Las Vegas vs. San Francisco
                      6 p.m. ET — New England vs. New York Giants

Comment

• GREG KNAPPCS, NEW YORK JETSJets passing-game coordinator Greg Knapp is in critical condition following a weekend bike accident.

Per NBC Denver's Mike Klis, 58-year-old Knapp's bike was struck by a car. Knapp's agent has confirmed he suffered "serious injuries." Knapp has spent more than two decades as an NFL assistant, including stints as the offensive coordinator in San Francisco, Atlanta, Seattle and Oakland. He served as Falcons QBs coach from 2018-20 before being added to coach Robert Saleh's inaugural staff in New York. Our thoughts are with Knapp and his family.

SOURCE: Mike Klis on Twitter
                        Jul 20, 2021, 12:31 AM

Comment

• Rubbish. They do have Tua right?

DESHAUN WATSONQB, HOUSTON TEXANS
                          Pro Football Network's Adam Beasley reports the Dolphins "would still consider trading for" Deshaun Watson if his legal issues are resolved.

Watson is currently accused of sexual misconduct by over 20 women and both the NFL and Houston police are investigating the claims. For now, Watson should be expected to sit out the 2021 season. If his legal situation changes, he'll still need to find a resolution to his standoff with the Texans. If Miami does enter the fray, they'll likely offer Tua Tagovailoa and multiple first-round picks to cap of their monumental rebuild. Tagovailoa was a promising prospect coming out of Alabama but his rookie season raised more questions than answers. Replacing him with Watson would make the Dolphins an immediate contender in the AFC.

... See More
                          RELATED:
                          SOURCE: Pro Football Network
                          Jul 19, 2021, 10:01 AM

Comment

• akers1.PNG

Comment

• Damn, that's brutal for Akers. There were expectations that he was going to have a breakout season.

Certainly hurts the Rams a little. By how much? IDK. Elephant in the room, Lions own the Rams next two 1st RD picks.
                              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Holy shit! Erin ain’t bs’ing. He turned that down?

Green Bay reportedly was willing to give Rodgers more than $45 million per year, which would have been a huge raise over the $21.5 million that Rodgers is due to make this year
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X