NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LightninBoy View Post
    How much say does Sweat have in the trade partner, I wonder?
    He and Young have a lot to say considering any trade for those guys would probably want them to sign an extension.
    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Notable trade. Seahawks are trading a 2nd and 5th to the Giants for DT Leonard Williams. Seems like an overpay, but Williams should make the Seahawks a little better. Like the Eagles (Byard) and 49ers (Gregory) trades.

The Lions NFC competition has marginally improved. Just about 24 hours to see if Brad Holmes responds. I would guess that the timing of any Lions trade would be after the game to avoid a distraction. Maybe my thought process is wrong there… who knows.

Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

Oh man. That defense is really good but they’re f’ing insane if they think they can win this year.
      Agree. The Falcons are not a contender. Barring a ridiculous QB trade. That’s what they need.
      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post

The Lions NFC competition has marginally improved. Just about 24 hours to see if Brad Holmes responds. I would guess that the timing of any Lions trade would be after the game to avoid a distraction. Maybe my thought process is wrong there… who knows.

I'm pretty sure you're right. Before the game is a complete opposite approach Holmes would take. They don't like any negativity to the troops.
        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Leonard Williams is a pro bowler so its a solid move but a 2nd rounder for a player thats contract is up after this year is a lot. i guess these are the moves that you have to make if you want to contend.
          F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Yeah, was thinking the same around timing, they wouldn't do anything or announce anything until after the game to avoid the distraction.

Comment

• Damn, Leonard Williams in his 9th year.

Comment

• Yup. Dude is pushing 30
                F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Now that Cousins is done for the year the Lions should go get Danielle Hunter as a rental. Shouldn't cost that much.
                  Apathetic No More.

Comment

• image.png
                    #birdsarentreal

Comment

• lol and I just saw the bad Matthew McConaughey Texas Chainsaw movie where he went crazy…

I hope the Lions are able to make a trade. I’ve never seen the Lions win a playoff game. 1 Lions playoff win in my parents’ lifetime. With all of the evil and negative things that’s going on in the actual world (Gaza, Ukraine, etc) … my mindset is to live in the now. Lions will be fine in the future regardless of giving up a little draft capital. The NFC North should be the Lions division for the taking. I’m not scared of any of the NFC teams when compared to great teams historically. Let’s win a playoff game at Ford Field! Let’s win a Michigan college football title too,

Give me Kendall Fuller or Montez Sweat. Whoever it is.
                      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Nice timing with the bye for the Lions for once, would give them extra time to integrate any new acquisitions.

Comment

• Revisiting the 2022 NFL trade deadline: Which deals were hits (McCaffrey) and misses (Claypool)?

(Personal note: Due to the game coming up soon, I'm only highlighting some of the trades from last year.)

By Mike Jones
                          Oct 27, 2023

The Athletic has live coverage of the NFL trade deadline including the latest deals, rumors and analysis.

This season’s NFL trade deadline is now just days away. Already, we have seen several teams fill needs via trades, and more deals could take place before Tuesday’s 4 p.m. ET deadline.

Historically, the NFL trade deadline doesn’t feature as much action as other pro sports leagues. Last year, though, 19 transactions took place from the start of the season until the deadline as teams tried to position themselves for greater success.

But how did those deals actually play out? Did they help strengthen teams, or would those squads that acquired talent have been better off passing?

Here’s a look at those 19 trades and what we now know in hindsight about those deals.

Falcons get: CB Rashad Fenton

Chiefs get: Conditional 2023 seventh-round pick

Verdict: Waste of a deal.

Fenton appeared in just one game for the Falcons last year, recording four tackles, and was inactive in six of the next seven games. He signed with the Cardinals this offseason but is now on injured reserve.

Bears get: WR Chase Claypool

Steelers get: 2023 second-round pick

Verdict: Regrettable move for Chicago. Win for Pittsburgh.

Claypool recorded just 14 catches for 140 yards and no touchdowns in seven games for the Bears in 2022. He had only four catches for 51 yards and a touchdown this season, and after he criticized his coaches for his usage, Chicago traded him to the Dolphins for a seventh-round pick. The Steelers used the second-rounder to draft cornerback Joey Porter Jr., who has an interception and nine tackles in six games.

Dolphins get: LB Bradley Chubb, 2025 fifth-round pick

Broncos get: RB Chase Edmonds, 2023 first-round pick, 2024 fourth-round pick

Verdict: Chubb and Miami win.

The Dolphins got an impact edge player, who in 15 games between 2022 and 2023 has recorded 6 1/2 sacks, 47 tackles and four forced fumbles (this year he leads the league with three). Chubb also received a $110 million extension last fall.

Meanwhile, Edmonds appeared in five games for Denver last year, recording 125 yards on 26 carries and now plays for Tampa Bay. The Broncos sent that first-round pick to New Orleans as part of the compensation for coach Sean Payton. The verdict is still out on that deal.

Vikings get: T.J. Hockenson, 2023 fourth-round pick, 2024 conditional fourth-round pick

Lions get: 2023 second-round pick, 2024 third-round pick

Verdict: Win for Vikings. TBD for Lions.

Hockenson made a seamless transition in Minnesota, recording 60 catches for 519 yards and three touchdowns in 10 games last season, earning Pro Bowl honors. He has followed up a four-year, $66 million extension this preseason with 47 catches for 390 yards and two touchdowns.

The Lions took that 55th pick and used it as a piece in draft weekend deals to help them acquire quarterback Hendon Hooker and defensive tackle Brodric Martin.

49ers get: Christian McCaffrey

Panthers get: 2023 second-, third- and fourth-round picks, 2024 fifth-round pick

Verdict: Win for all parties.

McCaffrey made an instant impact with six rushing and four receiving touchdowns in 11 games, earning a Pro Bowl nod. This year, he’s leading the league in rushing, with 598 yards so far. The Panthers included that second-round pick in a trade package sent to the Bears for the first pick of the 2023 draft, where they selected quarterback Bryce Young.

Mike Jones joined The Athletic as a national NFL writer in 2022 after five years at USA Today, where he covered the NFL, and eight years at The Washington Post, where he covered the Washington Commanders. He previously covered the Washington Wizards for The Washington Times. Mike is a native of Warrenton, Va.

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                          My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                            Notable trade. Seahawks are trading a 2nd and 5th to the Giants for DT Leonard Williams. Seems like an overpay, but Williams should make the Seahawks a little better. Like the Eagles (Byard) and 49ers (Gregory) trades.

Agree. The Falcons are not a contender. Barring a ridiculous QB trade. That’s what they need.
                            Both the Lions and Seahawks badly needed a big time DT in the draft, and both passed on Jalen Carter for character concerns....both teams still are weak in that position.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

He and Young have a lot to say considering any trade for those guys would probably want them to sign an extension.
                              and this is where the Lions have to be careful......Sure they want upgrades but also have alot of guys they will have to pay in the next two years.....For some reason people want to go away from what has made Brad Holmes a good GM: the draft....Giving up draft capital for a rental or for a player that will demand a high salary is just not a good business decision long term.

Comment

• Originally posted by ghandi View Post

and this is where the Lions have to be careful......Sure they want upgrades but also have alot of guys they will have to pay in the next two years.....For some reason people want to go away from what has made Brad Holmes a good GM: the draft....Giving up draft capital for a rental or for a player that will demand a high salary is just not a good business decision long term.
                                I agree, and that's why I'm thinking it might be prudent to just work with what we have, even if it doesn't result in a Super Bowl Championship, or even a Playoff win.

I'm in love with how Brad Holmes seems to find diamonds in just about every round and UDFA, and even his 2nd round mysteries are starting to pan out.

I'd take my chances with Mr. Holmes if he has more bullets in his chamber to shoot for a player than doing the trade bit, unless we're that close to a Championship, and right now, I don't think that we're close.
                                "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                                My friend Ken L

Comment

Working...
                                X