No announcement yet.

Detroit Tigers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I wasn't expecting the playoffs by any means this year, but was at least hoping for improvement. They just suck."
    --------------------Ditto!
    GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
      I wasn't expecting the playoffs by any means this year, but was at least hoping for improvement. They just suck.

The good news is we're finding some bullpen pieces and the young SP are getting looks. We have A LOT of depth at SP and it's showing. Guys like Briske and Faedo have performed well. Wentz got rocked, so he's not really ready, but he's another guy coming off TJ.

I think Madden is going to be REALLY good. He may even be up at some point this year.

Garrett Hill is a guy dominating right now in the minors. He's older, but he could be another good find.
      That's a problem with the farm system, you named off a few pitchers with a chance but in this era of baseball, everyone has pitchers. The team is starved for position players. In the Comerica Park era they have produced maybe five above average position players with Granderson, Castellanos, Infante, Avila and Inge.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post

That's a problem with the farm system, you named off a few pitchers with a chance but in this era of baseball, everyone has pitchers. The team is starved for position players. In the Comerica Park era they have produced maybe five above average position players with Granderson, Castellanos, Infante, Avila and Inge.
        And none of them were even Hall Of Fame worthy as everyday players.

Miguel Cabrera, as HOF worthy as he is, wasn't originally drafted by this team, and only came here due to the shrewd skills of Dave Dombrowski.

You'd have to go back to Allan Trammell for the last quality everyday Hall Of Fame player this Franchise has produced.

Heck, even Travis Fryman was a decent player, with better career stats than the 5 players that you mentioned, but he was traded from Detroit over 2 decades ago, despite still having some good years left in him (thanks to the inept Randy Smith!)

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
        My friend Ken L

Comment

• The farm system in the draft era for the Tigers can be boiled down to three drafts 74-76 and the first round picks in the mid 2000s where they were spending well above slot. Getting any useful players past the 2nd round is herculean task and the international players don't hear any fruit. If you are relying on that janky development system to do a wholesale rebuild you are going to fail. He we are 7 years later.

Comment

The farm system in the draft era for the Tigers can be boiled down to three drafts 74-76 and the first round picks in the mid 2000s where they were spending well above slot. Getting any useful players past the 2nd round is herculean task and the international players don't hear any fruit. If you are relying on that janky development system to do a wholesale rebuild you are going to fail. He we are 7 years later.
            And I look lovingly at what Tampa has been doing since around 2008, and they don't even have the history or fanbase that Detroit has, but have developed better players than Detroit has, and they compete in perhaps the toughest Division in MLB, the American League East, and they'd stood up to the Yankees and Red Sox and ended up getting into the World Series twice,
            My friend Ken L

Comment

• Hey, the Tigers actually won a game yesterday!!

Miggy with 2 RBI hits (one a double), including his 504th HR, and Detroit beat Baltimore, 4-2.
              My friend Ken L

Comment

• Yeah Soto had to get yanked in the 9th, he loaded the bases without giving up a hit.
                Last edited by froot loops; May 14, 2022, 12:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by whatever_gong82 View Post

And I look lovingly at what Tampa has been doing since around 2008, and they don't even have the history or fanbase that Detroit has, but have developed better players than Detroit has, and they compete in perhaps the toughest Division in MLB, the American League East, and they'd stood up to the Yankees and Red Sox and ended up getting into the World Series twice,
                  Yeah, when they started this rebuild they talked about being efficient like the Rays. They said the same thing in the 90s but instead they talked about being like the Twins. But to me it doesn't seem like anything ever changes in their player development. They have been in Comerica Park for nearly a quarter century and they have yet to produce really good defensive players or left handed power hitters. They made a conscious decision to make a pitcher's park for some reason, but a don't produce players that fit the park.

Comment

Yeah, when they started this rebuild they talked about being efficient like the Rays. They said the same thing in the 90s but instead they talked about being like the Twins. But to me it doesn't seem like anything ever changes in their player development. They have been in Comerica Park for nearly a quarter century and they have yet to produce really good defensive players or left handed power hitters. They made a conscious decision to make a pitcher's park for some reason, but a don't produce players that fit the park.
                    I agree, froot loops , and outside of the era when Dave Dombrowski ran the team, especially from 2006-2014, the Ilitch family have been gosh darn awful at running a baseball team, almost William Clay Ford Sr. like in their incompetence.

Why can't this team find some decent scouts and coaches to develop players that can play in Comerica?

I'm at the point where I'll pay attention to Opening Day, and maybe check out a game online via MLB Audio since I left Michigan almost 2 decades ago, but otherwise, I'm paying attention to the NBA Playoffs and the opening of training camp for the Detroit Lions.

And once the NFL pre-season starts, I don't pay attention to the Tigers the rest of the year.
                    My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                      Well, Joey Wentz (part of the return in the Shane Greene trade a few years ago) making his first start is part of that reason. Understandable.

The pitching has been fine. If the batting wasn’t pure crap, maybe the team is near .500 … Injuries on the pitching staff to Mize, Manning, Alexander, and Turnbull doesn’t help.

The Tigers started the season 6-7. 3-15 record since that start. Averaging what, 1 or 2 runs a game? Oof.
                      Alexander injury is not a bad thing. That guy should not be in our top 5 rotation. I'd rather see the AAA guys come up and get a shot.

Comment

• Looks like the Orioles came to town just in time.....

Comment

• Originally posted by whatever_gong82 View Post

I agree, froot loops , and outside of the era when Dave Dombrowski ran the team, especially from 2006-2014, the Ilitch family have been gosh darn awful at running a baseball team, almost William Clay Ford Sr. like in their incompetence.

Why can't this team find some decent scouts and coaches to develop players that can play in Comerica?

I'm at the point where I'll pay attention to Opening Day, and maybe check out a game online via MLB Audio since I left Michigan almost 2 decades ago, but otherwise, I'm paying attention to the NBA Playoffs and the opening of training camp for the Detroit Lions.

And once the NFL pre-season starts, I don't pay attention to the Tigers the rest of the year.
                          They don't know how to draft hitters - and that is 1/2 of the game right there.
                          Even in their heyday in the late 2000's, the hitters came from other teams.
                          I'm not sure you can turn a player into a hitter in the Minor Leagues - if they haven't figured it out before getting there they most likely won't.
                          So much emphasis in this game is placed on power and launch angle - and not just driving the ball where people aren't.
                          You got to go a looooooong way back to the late 70's to find a Tigers team that drafted hitters - i.e. guys who understood a strike zone.

Comment

• You should be able to develop some hitters at the minor league level, most players are not fully formed when they are drafted and you have three levels of baseball. But as fans, it's really hard to know why they struggle. Until the franchise can reliably produce everyday players it makes no sense to tear it down to the studs and hope for the best like they did.

Comment

• Tork and Greene are top 10 hitting prospects. We’ll see.

Comment

• Hopefully this series win will lead to some confidence and momentum.

Comment

Working...
                                X