Detroit Tigers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The King View Post
    Fulmer/Chafin/Soto should be dealt. They all could bring back quality, but it’s a deep relief market.
    Soto I would keep. Chafin I would be open to moving and Fulmer I would like to bring back even if they dealt him at the deadline.
    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
      Fulmer/Chafin/Soto should be dealt. They all could bring back quality, but it’s a deep relief market.
      I agree with this. Immediately thought about a Yankees-Tigers trade after hearing Michael King is out for the season.
      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post

Last year they got Reese Olson (RHP) for the inconsistent Daniel Norris.

Detroit has seemed to unlock another level with Olson being able to strikeout people up 3.6 K/9 this year at Erie (AA) while lowering his walk rate by 1.7BB/9. He is striking out 35% of the batters he has faced so far this season and walking only 7.5% of batters faced. He is a touch more hittable this year but his WHIP is down a tick. A touch more homer prone and hasn't gone deep into games, but overall he is taken a step or two forward this year. He should be in the mix next year (not going to make the team out of ST).

Cool, and I'm sure you'll be ready for the Tigers to sell him off when they're 20 games under .500 next year.

Comment

• Part of my logic in this is thinking “what’s more likely to get Avila fired?”

The Tigers losing 100 games (sellers at the trade deadline) as opposed to 80 or 90 games (buyers at the trade deadline) SHOULD drive down attendance numbers. One can believe that Chris Ilitich only looks at the financials. Not the box score of actual games.

Maybe there’s a higher probability of Avila being fired if the financials decline.

SELL. The objective is to get rid of the incompetent GM. We know for a fact that Avila is a negative as GM.
          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
            Part of my logic in this is thinking “what’s more likely to get Avila fired?”

The Tigers losing 100 games (sellers at the trade deadline) as opposed to 80 or 90 games (buyers at the trade deadline) SHOULD drive down attendance numbers. One can believe that Chris Ilitich only looks at the financials. Not the box score of actual games.

Maybe there’s a higher probability of Avila being fired if the financials decline.

SELL. The objective is to get rid of the incompetent GM. We know for a fact that Avila is a negative as GM.
            The only thing Illitch looks at in regards to Avila is how much it would cost to replace him; which appears to be a higher price tag than he is willing to pay.

Comment

• All we have seen since Chris I has owned the team is that he is no better of an owner than WCF and Avila is his Millen.....

Comment

• Originally posted by ghandi View Post
                All we have seen since Chris I has owned the team is that he is no better of an owner than WCF and Avila is his Millen.....
                And if Chris Ilitch lives for another 2-3 decades and remains the Detroit Tigers Owner, then this Franchise is doomed to be as irrelevant and awful as they are right now.

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                My friend Ken L

Comment

• I know everyone wants to fault Avila. But let me put this to the forum here. And be honest.

At the time were you against

Schoop signing a 15 million over 2 year extension?

Trading for Barnhart and picking up his 7.5 million option?

Signing Erod to his 75/5 year deal?

Signing Baez to his 6 year deal?

Signing Chafin and Pineda to their deals?

Should have Avila anticipated

the offensive declines in Grossman, Barnhart, Candelario, Schoop?

The struggles of Torkleson (to this degree)

The huge, huge amount of injuries this year?

2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• When you put all your chips on "the farm," you better invest in "the farm," which by all indications Chris I. hasn't done. Gotta remember, the minor league development infrastructure for the Tigers has NEVER been particularly good, and Mike's son by all accounts has done less than nothing to correct that.

So yeah, the struggles of "the farm" were more than forseeable, and Froot and I especially have been saying so for years.

Comment

• You have to go back to the 1981 Blue Jays to find a team scoring less runs per game than the Tigers are now. In that sense I think they are performing under what even detractors expected. That also means they could be quite a bit better and still be bad. Some certainly expected struggles but not quite this bad.

Comment

• I went to Saturday's game and the offense was utterly putrid. I have been to three games this year and they have not yet hit a ball in the air that reached the warning track. Greene was the closest with the triple he had.

Valenti is bringing up a stat that they haven't had 30 homer guy since Cabrera in 2016. Also, the Tiger's farm system has the oldest age of any franchise.
                        Last edited by froot loops; July 25, 2022, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post
                          I know everyone wants to fault Avila. But let me put this to the forum here. And be honest.

At the time were you against

Schoop signing a 15 million over 2 year extension?

Trading for Barnhart and picking up his 7.5 million option?

Signing Erod to his 75/5 year deal?

Signing Baez to his 6 year deal?

Signing Chafin and Pineda to their deals?

Should have Avila anticipated

the offensive declines in Grossman, Barnhart, Candelario, Schoop?

The struggles of Torkleson (to this degree)

The huge, huge amount of injuries this year?
                          Why do you keep on trying to excuse Avila? Where is the path forward with this team?

They have two things going on. First off, Avila is bad and the gap between Dombrowski and Avila has been catastrophic for this team. Secondly, even if they had a top notch GM, Chris Ilitch would handcuff him.

Comment

• Remember when Hinch was a coup?

Turns out when the franchise is dogshit led by a skinflint owner, it really doesn't matter what guy is leading the dugout.

Comment

• His managing was peculiar Saturday night. His Tiger tenure has been reminiscent of the Phil Garner regime.

Comment

• Avila needs to go. Agree on that.

Comment

Working...
                                X