No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, a conversation came up between Mama and Tailgunner. They both need to renew their anit-virus programs and both were going to purchase Norton.

I have had big problems with Norton upon renewal and even more problems with support to the point that when my subscription expires, I will not renew with Norton.

I respect the opinions of the knowledge of those who have IT and computer experience on this forum and would like a few suggestions for the best Anti-virus programs for laptops.

Thanks..........
    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Seems like we've discussed this a few times. I've used Norton for like 15 years without a problem, but my PCs are usually well-powered machines. Not sure how it performs on older PCs. Some people rail against Norton, but I'm happy with it.
      #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
        Seems like we've discussed this a few times. I've used Norton for like 15 years without a problem, but my PCs are usually well-powered machines. Not sure how it performs on older PCs. Some people rail against Norton, but I'm happy with it.
        I use Norton. I have never had a virus. That is good enough for me.
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• The only complaint I hear about Norton is it tends to be a resource hog. I had it initially on this laptop when I bought it but I've been using AVG ever since it expired.
          Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• "The only complaint I hear about Norton is it tends to be a resource hog."
            ------------------perfect match for Malto.

GO LIONS "10" !!!!!!!!!!!
            GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• How about just getting some Norton X400 Turbo running shoes? That'll solve all these problems.

Christmas Tree lights? Now there is a serious technology problem that I can't solve. They had me cursing tonight......, cursing on Xmas day! How bad is that? I feel terrible. Stupid fkin Xmas tree lights.
              "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                Seems like we've discussed this a few times. I've used Norton for like 15 years without a problem, but my PCs are usually well-powered machines. Not sure how it performs on older PCs. Some people rail against Norton, but I'm happy with it.
                I know we have discussed this before but I wondered if something had changed since the last discussion.

I have used Norton for almost the entire time I have had a puter but last time after purchasing Norton 360, it gave me a host of issues and the support line comes through Bangladesh and they do not listen to you. They only read from a script. I tried the online chat and they too, do not read what you are saying. You will tell them the problem then they will ask a series of questions and about 4 questions later ask you if you are having an issue that you already told them about.

I believe that being a resource hog was my main issue even though the machines it was installed in had 500+MB processors (I know by todays standard that is not much but, it was huge when the machines were purchased).

Thanks all for your input..........preciated.

Comment

• I'm scaling down a bit and definitely going for a 32 inch for my bedroom.

I don't think I'll be attaching a cable box to it, or at least not for a while, so any suggestions? Should I worry about 720P if its just connected to a coax?

Anyone have a really sweet 32 inch they would like to recommend?
                  Upgrade DB, LB, OL in the offseason and I will gladly drink the cool-aid and eat corn bread all season long.

Comment

• Originally posted by Laimbeer Returns View Post
                    I'm scaling down a bit and definitely going for a 32 inch for my bedroom.

I don't think I'll be attaching a cable box to it, or at least not for a while, so any suggestions? Should I worry about 720P if its just connected to a coax?

Anyone have a really sweet 32 inch they would like to recommend?
                    I have the HD/DVR package in my living room, and my 32" in my bedroom picks up HD channels (great quality too) from the coax sans converter box.

It shows up like this: Broadcast station 24 is channel 10 through my cable provider, but the HD version of that channel is 24-1 on my television.
                    "Low on the totem, till he showed 'em defiance, giant scrotum"

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                      I know we have discussed this before but I wondered if something had changed since the last discussion.

I have used Norton for almost the entire time I have had a puter but last time after purchasing Norton 360, it gave me a host of issues and the support line comes through Bangladesh and they do not listen to you. They only read from a script. I tried the online chat and they too, do not read what you are saying. You will tell them the problem then they will ask a series of questions and about 4 questions later ask you if you are having an issue that you already told them about.

I believe that being a resource hog was my main issue even though the machines it was installed in had 500+MB processors (I know by todays standard that is not much but, it was huge when the machines were purchased).

Wish I could recommend one for you but they all have issues. Mcafee and Norton mean the best definitions available. Some of the other stuff has to rely on data sharing and end up making up for it with some really restrictive heuristics. The one my work uses is called Avira and it throws false positives all over the place. It also seems to have a bug that when triggered slows Explorer to a crawl, without any reasoning in the task manager.
                      AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Originally posted by Topweasel View Post
                        Wish I could recommend one for you but they all have issues. Mcafee and Norton mean the best definitions available. Some of the other stuff has to rely on data sharing and end up making up for it with some really restrictive heuristics. The one my work uses is called Avira and it throws false positives all over the place. It also seems to have a bug that when triggered slows Explorer to a crawl, without any reasoning in the task manager.

I have Avira on my laptop...doesn't interfere with anything I do at all. Almost seems like it's not working...like it's being lazy.
                        "Low on the totem, till he showed 'em defiance, giant scrotum"

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post

AVG Free. Never any issues, doesn't slow you down too much. But Marky boy, those 'puters be obsolete.
                          Apathetic No More.

Comment

• Originally posted by dsred View Post
                            AVG Free. Never any issues, doesn't slow you down too much. But Marky boy, those 'puters be obsolete.
                            Ya, I know the desktops are dinosaurs by computer standards but when you put 3 grand into a machine, you keep running it as long as it will run.

The youngest of the machines is about 6 years old and has a 80G hard drive. The kids have used up all but 190MB with their games. I deleted most of the ones they don't use any more but they have this one called World of Warcraft that eats huge amounts of the hard drive.

........which brings me to another question.

There are a ton of programs that load automatically upon booting and most of them are only used occasionally. They are sucking up a lot of Ram.

I loaded skype tonight and installed a web cam so I can communicate with the eldest in Texas but that really locked things up.

I am running XP and spent about three hours trying to figure out how to disable the automatic startup on the programs that only get used occasionally, to no avail.

Can anyone give me a hint how to accomplish this?

Comment

• Mark, try out this page:

If you've been using Windows XP for a while, you may have noticed that your computer is taking longer to boot up. This is because programs are adding themselves to your start up, and they all have to load before you can start using the...
                              Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks Frank.

Comment

Working...
                                X