No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actually, we also try to leave them with a neighbor when no one is home.

With 39 years of management experience within my industry, I can count on two hands how many times a package was lost because neighbors would not follow through and remit the package.

All but once was when the original order came over a wire service (meaning the sender was out of town) and the recipient was either very new to the neighborhood or the neighbors were resentful for the individuals living there.
    Last edited by DanO; August 24, 2011, 03:38 PM.
    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• "Hell, where I am the UPS and Fed Ex people just leave stuff on our porch. I suppose if we had crappy neighbors they could just steal our stuff, but we've never had problems."
      ---------------------------They have done that as well. I live in a pretty safe neighborhood although I have had $300.00 stolen out of my truck Police said it's kids looking for drug money. Two of my neighbors lost digital camers which are easily sold for cash.

GO LIONS "11" !
      GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• "The carriers customer is the outfit that supplied your goods, not the end user. The supplier can choose to use whichever carrier they wish.

"Their inablity to deliver a product properly is my issue."

They did deliver the product properly according to industry standards, they just did not deliver it according to your standards and/or expectations."
        ----------------------Thank you Malto. Could they adjust their standards to meet yours Tony? Absolutely, and they would pass the added cost to do so on to the rest of us. I'm fine with how it's handled.

"I probably do have a "bigger fucking mouth" but in this case I feel justified in asking those questions and in being unhappy with their response, especially their comment that they won't stop the practice for my address in the future."
        -----------------------Did you suggest you would be willing to pay more for them altering their standard?

"But......., if the driver took it back to base and I had to go collect......, that'd be a 50 mille round trip."
        ----------------------------I only have a 20 mile drive but it's one I'd rather not make. That's 40 miles round trip and 2 1/2 gals of gas. At $3.60/gal that's $9.00 for me to retreive the product when it could have just been left with my neighbor and cost me nothing.

GO LIONS "11" !
        Last edited by DanO; August 24, 2011, 03:36 PM.
        GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• "With 39 years of management experience within my industry, I can count on two hands how many times a package was lost because neighbors would not follow through and remit the package."
          --------------------That's miniscule and absolutely suggests the standard works just fine and changing it would be ludicrous.

GO LIONS "11" !
          GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• In this case i wouldn't have had an issue if I had to go collect it at their depot. I would have preferred it to leaving it with the human bong.

I could have gone with FedEx 2nd day or next day. I had no idea the difference was more than just arrival times. Our Company discount gave us free 7 day shipping so I got the $18 deal for free versus $30 or $45 for the express stuff. Knowing what I know now I would have sprung for the 2nd day air. Oh well, live and learn.
            Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• I am not sure the second day air would have changed anything, Tony. You would need to have a guaranteed delivery before 10 to ensure it would be there within a window that did not make one have to be available all day long to receive the delivery (unless of course, the second day was your day off).

Edit: Generally the charge for guaranteed delivery is 3 to 5 times more than standard delivery depending on the area it is being shipped to.
              Last edited by Malto Marko; August 24, 2011, 07:05 PM.

Comment

• I would like to chime in that I also, am in the delivery business, and its a real pain in the ass when you slackers aren't home to get your shit.
                Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• One aspect of the delivery of botanical products is there isn't a big resale market available where someone can get drugs from their sale.
                  Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                    One aspect of the delivery of botanical products is there isn't a big resale market available where someone can get drugs from their sale.
                    True however, it significantly increases the chance of getting some action with the person that receives them.

There is a definite value to that.;-)

Comment

• Given that most delivery services only deliver stuff on weekdays during business hours, how the hell can anyone EVER be home to get anything unless they don't have a job????

Comment

• Great question. That is why it is common to leave it with a neighbor and more recently, leave it on a porch as long as it appears it will not be tampered with.

FTR, people are not always home when they are off work either so a delivery mans plight does not change on the weekends.

People love the convenience of getting things delivered to their door but it is too much of a burden to have to wait around for the delivery to arrive even if they are aware of what day it is coming or as in my case, a small envelope of time to ensure someone will be there.

Again, shipping costs could be significantly lowered if all shipping (mail and packages) were shipped to centralized distribution points and it was up to the recipient to claim it. I am aware however, how unpopular this concept is.

Comment

• Originally posted by mason reese View Post
                          Now you know what happens when you have dinner with DanO and don't put out. I hope you learned your lesson.
                          Laughed out loud at this.

Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                          human bong
                          ...and again at this.
                          ------------
                          <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• Yes, must admit, the package being delivered to the "human bong" made me and the wife laugh out loud. Was classic.
                            I'm a big enough man to admit that even though some of Tonys stuff annoys me, (as I annoy him) ....., most of his stuff makes me laugh. There is a definite sense of humour there that I like. But not in a Miami gay way!
                            "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Malto, I have sympathy for you since I think you said you do flower deliveries. Usually those are given a pretty tight window to be delivered into. But with stuff from UPS and Fed Ex, I really don't feel bad for them that people aren't home for their deliveries since they give you something like a 10 hour window that they might deliver in. If they gave you a tighter window, most people could probably figure something out.

About the only jerks who get away with giving you a huge window and having you actually be there are the cable installation people.

Comment

• Maybe its because I'm in a small town, but Comcast here is pretty good about showing up in a reasonable amount of time. When I make an appointment, there's a four hour window that they will show up and the dispatcher calls you when they are on the way to let you know.
                                Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

Working...
                                X