OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bimmer84 View Post
    Nice unit Top. Have fun. I still love my QuadCore. IT has been so long ago I don't remember the specs, but it is still plenty fast with the SSD.
    Thanks. Over all I think a machine with small alterations throughout the year can last longer then they ever did before. Even this machine, 1 game, and 1 rare use case, really made me push for this setup. Otherwise only part failures (Memory, CPU especially) would have really driven me to do this fresh build. Come a long way from replacing the CPU/Mobo/or video card almost 2 annually a piece.
    AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Bimmer - had a quad core on the desktop I replaced, and I have to say it's the build that lasted me the longest from a performance standpoint. We really are at a point where 2nd and 3rd generation processors still hold their own.
      Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Anyone got the new ipad? This case/keyboard from logitech looks very good. Logitech IMO does very good work (most of the time).

Logitech announced its Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for the new iPad and iPad 2 a couple of weeks ago, and today we got our grubby mitts on the thing. In case you forgot, it attaches to your Apple tablet like a Smart Cover when not in use, but perhaps you didn't know that those magnets secure the slate in stand mode as well. And secure is the operative word, once you slot your slate in, it takes a concerted effort to dislodge it -- plus, there's virtually no shaking of the screen while typing away on the keyboard. As for those chiclets, they have a predictably short throw, but aside from a hollow feeling when pressing the spacebar and shift keys, the rest of the grid gave a satisfying snick with each button press. Build quality of the keyboard was good, without any massive seam gaps or other glaring defects, and the aluminum back makes for quite an attractive package when attached to the iPad. The deck is, unfortunately, slathered in glossy black plastic -- a customer preference, Logitech was quick to point out -- which results in plenty of finger and palm prints when typing. Other than those niggles, however, it's a compelling option for folks wanting to do some tactile tablet typing.

Also, if anyone wants to get on the xbox train (good cable alternative with hulu+ and netflix these days too) they might be pretty cheap soon (with contract for online service).

Microsoft has long been pushing to get the Xbox 360 into as many living rooms as possible, and it looks like it could now be about to attempt a new tactic to further expand its reach. According to The Verge's sources, the company will launch a new bundle next week that will include both a 4GB Xbox 360 console and a Kinect sensor for just $99 -- the only catch being that you'll also have to sign a two-year contract at a rate of $15 a month. That will give you access to the Xbox Live Gold service, and potentially some additional streaming content, as well as a two-year warranty (there's also naturally an early termination fee for those that break the contract). From the sound of things, though, the new offering could be getting something of a soft launch -- the only outlet mentioned for the bundle so far is the rather limited number of Microsoft Stores in the US.
        Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Originally posted by nhwbrooklyn View Post
          Anyone got the new ipad? This case/keyboard from logitech looks very good. Logitech IMO does very good work (most of the time).

Logitech announced its Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for the new iPad and iPad 2 a couple of weeks ago, and today we got our grubby mitts on the thing. In case you forgot, it attaches to your Apple tablet like a Smart Cover when not in use, but perhaps you didn't know that those magnets secure the slate in stand mode as well. And secure is the operative word, once you slot your slate in, it takes a concerted effort to dislodge it -- plus, there's virtually no shaking of the screen while typing away on the keyboard. As for those chiclets, they have a predictably short throw, but aside from a hollow feeling when pressing the spacebar and shift keys, the rest of the grid gave a satisfying snick with each button press. Build quality of the keyboard was good, without any massive seam gaps or other glaring defects, and the aluminum back makes for quite an attractive package when attached to the iPad. The deck is, unfortunately, slathered in glossy black plastic -- a customer preference, Logitech was quick to point out -- which results in plenty of finger and palm prints when typing. Other than those niggles, however, it's a compelling option for folks wanting to do some tactile tablet typing.
          Very cool.
          #birdsarentreal

Comment

• I have to admit that I FN hate my home land line and DSL provider, AT&T.

But I have to give major kudos to their tech department today. A state side tech dude answered my call in regards to the replacement router they sent me (2nd one in 8 years). My problem was that the new router was not showing any wireless connection. By ethernet for set up, sure. Wireless, no.

I set the other two up just fine but this new router had me by the nads.

Turns out, because I am still using a Windows XP OS, the new router is defaulted to use a WAP key but the XP will only allow WEP keys. Not being a tech guru of any kind, I had no idea about the default issue.

I had the AT&T tech on the line with me for almost 1.5 hrs and he never waivered in his troubleshooting efforts to figure things out. He actually sounded interested and challenged by my connection issues. Eventually he said he ran across some things he never saw before and appreciated the opportunity to learn from this experience.

Normally I would be hot about a call taking so long but this dude was so thorough and so knowledgable, I just let him do his thing w/o any 'tude.

So for this deal, kudos to the AT&T techie. Dude knew his (checklist) shit!
            19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• My Dad has had similar experiences with their tech support. He raves about them. Sounds like they have ONE department with their act together, at least.
              #birdsarentreal

Comment

• -G- haven't heard that XP can't handle WAP..that's wireless G...(Ha!) were you using the built in XP wireless utility or another?
                Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Coop View Post
                  -G- haven't heard that XP can't handle WAP..that's wireless G...(Ha!) were you using the built in XP wireless utility or another?
                  Wireless B and G.

N is too high up the alphabet for me to get to just yet. ;)

And to answer your question (i think), we used whatever is built into this XP dinosaur Toshiba Qosmio G25 AV513 to get it hitched to the router.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                    Wireless B and G.

N is too high up the alphabet for me to get to just yet. ;)

And to answer your question (i think), we used whatever is built into this XP dinosaur Toshiba Qosmio G25 AV513 to get it hitched to the router.
                    The two problems are 1: WPA or WPA2 is what security their router is using. 2: It isn't XP, its either A. Driver or B.: more likely the adapter that doesn't support the WPA options. In that case you need to set the router up for WEP. The question is if it is provided by AT&T can you actually get in to make the change. I have run into a couple Uverse boxes that don't let you make changes to the router (including password) and were locked on WEP.
                    AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• OK, so use guys never cease to impress me with your knowledge with the new bells and whistles that are available for all of the tech gadgets we purchase.

I have a question.

I have a Sony flat screen TV that is one of the earliest models of flat screens.

I love the picture quality but the sound sucks, especially if you are playing a DVD.

I would like to get a surround sound system to complement the audio but the catch is, it has to be wireless because stringing wires to the area it is used will not work.

Any suggestions?
                      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Use the AMAZON link above

Type what you think you need

Then sort by reviews. Look for signs of acceptance and then study the product.

Starting with name brand wouldn't hurt.

:-D

Good luck.

I thank you in advance for management for using the hotlinks.

Comment

• That reminds me. I have to preorder the new Halo for my son.
                          GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                            Use the AMAZON link above

Type what you think you need

Then sort by reviews. Look for signs of acceptance and then study the product.

Starting with name brand wouldn't hurt.

:-D

Good luck.

I thank you in advance for management for using the hotlinks.
                            Already did that.

They do not give info on whether they are hard wired or not.

When I purchased the TV, home theater systems were all hard wired.

I can not run wires all around the room the TV is in.

Seeing that I have never purchased a home theater system before it is the same as someone who has never purchased a vehicle googling "new car'.

That is why I asked the question.

At least I asked in the correct thread.:-D
                            I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Malto,

From what I found in a quick google search, it seems that only the rear speakers are wireless. And even then they'll need power which means a wire going to an outlet.
                                2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

Working...
                                X