No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well that's always a drawback with internet speeds. If the site you are dl'ing from won't let you go past 5mbps then you aren't going faster
    Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by DeanUK View Post
      again possibly the server the file was sat on is the bottleneck?
      It's not just the server, you also have to factor in all the points in between you and the server. Unless the server is in another building next to yours and you have a direct link to it (rather than say have to have it routed through another city before actually connecting to you), you're going to run into many potential speed "bumps".

Some of the DNS servers may figure out faster paths to your fiber connection, but you probably won't notice.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
        I can understand that point of view completely. But, I do love having Office on my phone and being able to open up an Excel document that's on my PC with my phone (via SkyDrive). The Windows Phone 8 interface is beautiful and fluid, and the hardware that Nokia has is just ridiculously top notch. It's really a pleasure to use.

It is still a little green and not for everyone. I hope it takes off because the interface is just so much better (IMO) than iPhone and Android.
        None of that really matters, the carriers hate Windows Phone, especially outside of the US. Go look up Nokia and how they dominated 4 continental markets, abandoned 5 continental markets that make up 93% of the global cellular market (population wise) and decided to focus on that last 7% (the US/NA market).

Windows Phone doesn't really have a chance, unless they sell Skype (source of carrier hate, as quoted by the Nokia CEO), which isn't going to happen. Didn't have a chance before Nokia partnered with MS, and still don't have a chance afterwards.

Lumia 920 is a nice phone, it's never going to be very popular.
        Last edited by Adamantine; January 11, 2013, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• Check this gigantic tablet out mass-

In addition to announcing some traditional all-in-ones today, Lenovo is introducing the IdeaCentre Horizon 27 Table PC. It too is a full-fledged, battery-powered desktop, but it can collapse into table-top mode, becoming a 27-inch, 1080p slate optimized for multi-user touch input. The design is quite similar to the Sony VAIO Tap 20 we saw at IFA, with a built-in stand that supports the screen in an upright position. The 17-pound design feels sturdy, but it's also very thin, at 27mm (1.1 inches) thick. The blood and guts are what you'd expect of a high-end AIO: processors range from Core i3 to i7, graphics max out at NVIDIA GeForce GT 620M and storage tops off at 1TB. Users can switch between the Aura moon-dial UI, which is a hub or games, photos and other media, and the standard Windows 8 interface. As you can imagine, the Horizon is ideal for multi-player games, and EA Games has pre-loaded several titles, including Monopoly, that are primed especially for this machine. Incidentally, Lenovo also bundles the Table PC with joysticks and an e-dice. There will also be an optional stand, which supports use in flat table mode as well as desktop mode -- with an included keyboard, to boot. Lenovo says pricing will start at "approximately $1,699," with a release date slated for early summer. Check out our hands-on video past the break for a closer look. Follow all the latest CES 2013 news at our event hub.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk2OFlVhB7U"]Lenovo Horizon Table PC | Engadget At CES 2013 - YouTube[/ame]
          Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• And some touch screen windows 8 pc's that are more like desktops than tablets

In addition to announcing new touchscreen notebooks today at CES, Lenovo is unveiling a trio of Windows 8-optimized desktops. You can get the lowdown on the new Erazer X700 gaming system here, but for now we'll take a look at the two all-in-ones. Up first is the IdeaCentre A730, a 27-inch multi-touch all-in-one that measures just 0.9 inch (24.5mm) thick. Still, the system has room for an optical drive, which is integrated into the base. You have your choice of a 2,560 x 1,440 or 1,920 x 1,080 frameless display, and like many Windows 8 devices we've been seeing lately, the screen is adjustable -- from -5 degrees to 90 degrees. The desktop comes with up to a Core i7 processor, storage maxes out at 1TB and graphics options include an NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M chip with 2GB of dedicated memory. The A730 will go on sale for $1,499 and up in June. Lenovo is also adding to its C series desktop lineup with the new 23-inch C540. It's more budget-friendly than the A730, with the non-touch model starting at $549 and processor options topping out at a Core i3 chip, and it will be available both with and without a touchscreen. (The resolution is 1,920 x 1,080 for both versions.) The highest-end graphics option will be a NVIDIA GeForce 615 chip with 2GB of RAM, and you can outfit the system with up to 2TB of storage space. The non-touch IdeaCentre C540 will be available in February, and touch models will hit the market in June. Hit up the press galleries below for a look at both systems. Follow all the latest CES 2013 news at our event hub.
            Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• ...and some touch laptops..

Anyhow all screens will be expected to be touch screen very soon

Remember we said lots of PC makers were going to play it safe at this year's CES, introducing touchscreen versions of their existing laptops? That definitely applies to Lenovo: the company just announced four touch-enabled notebooks, and they all look pretty similar to its earlier offerings -- save for those touchscreens, of course. First up, there's the IdeaPad U310 Touch and U410 Touch, which have the same industrial design as the U310 and U410 Ultrabooks, just with a little extra heft (the U310 is 3.85 pounds / 18mm thick; the U410, 4.4 pounds / 21mm thick). Other than that, the specs closely match the current U310 and U410: up to 4GB of RAM and 500GB of storage on the 13-inch model, and up to 8GB of memory and 1TB of space on the big guy. Both will be offered with a Core i7 processor, but only the 14-incher has a discrete NVIDIA GPU (the U310 gets by on Intel's integrated HD 4000 graphics). The U410 also offers four USB ports, while the U310 makes do with three. Finally, battery life is bound to differ: the U310 is rated for up to six hours, compared with eight on the U410. Whichever you choose, though, the screen resolution tops out at 1,366 x 768, and the hard drive can be paired with a 24GB SSD to help speed up boot times. The U310 will arrive in March starting at $779, while the U410 is slated to land in April with a starting price of $850. Additionally, Lenovo announced two mainstream laptops, the 14-inch IdeaPad Z400 Touch and the 15-inch Z500 Touch. Unlike with the U310 and U410 Touch, the specs here are pretty consistent, other than the difference in screen size. Both measure about an inch thick, even with an optical drive on board. They'll be offered with Core i7 processors (standard voltage), a 2GB NVIDIA GT645M GPU, up to 8GB of RAM and up to 1TB of HDD storage. Additionally, they'll come standard with backlit keyboards and will be available with optional 1,600 x 900 displays -- both nice-to-have features, we'd say. The two laptops will start at $699, according to Lenovo, but the Z400 will arrive in March, while the Z500 is scheduled to ship in April. Follow all the latest CES 2013 news at our event hub.

Comment

• I saw that the other day. I wonder how expensive it's going to be.
                2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• They claim 1600 or 1700

Comment

• this is cool...

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.
                    Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by nhwbrooklyn View Post
                      They claim 1600 or 1700
                      Understandable, but a bit more than I'd spend on it.
                      2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• Originally posted by nhwbrooklyn View Post
                        ...and some touch laptops..

Anyhow all screens will be expected to be touch screen very soon

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/06/l...00-z500-touch/
                        Thanks Brook ... so far I'm loving the Sony. Just took a little while to get used to windows 8.
                        Forever One!

Comment

• Originally posted by Adamantine View Post
                          None of that really matters, the carriers hate Windows Phone, especially outside of the US. Go look up Nokia and how they dominated 4 continental markets, abandoned 5 continental markets that make up 93% of the global cellular market (population wise) and decided to focus on that last 7% (the US/NA market).

Windows Phone doesn't really have a chance, unless they sell Skype (source of carrier hate, as quoted by the Nokia CEO), which isn't going to happen. Didn't have a chance before Nokia partnered with MS, and still don't have a chance afterwards.

Lumia 920 is a nice phone, it's never going to be very popular.
                          Cept the thing that you ignored is that by focusing on US and EU sales that Nokia that they were able to focus on Margin and make their company profitable again.

Sure there are problems both market wise and the OS/Hardware annoyances that will affect the future of Windows 8 for phones. I don't believe for a second that App store will be one of them. All of them needed time to grow, but the new phones basically have the support of WinRT and Win8 to help spur development. But the fact Nokia had to start over and had to shudder a lot of their company and will have to grow slowly to avoid over stretching themselves at this sensitive state. They burned through almost all of the MS money in one quarter of still selling those 3rd world phones and more expensive better built phones are selling better in the US and EU then ever before. A lot of that is spearhead by the iphone. People have been spending more and more on phones since its popularity rose (which it wasn't too long ago that the iPhone barely sold in the EU).

Eventually Nokia will work the other sales back in. They won't be a 3rd world phone provider again while paying Licensing fees to MS. But they will offer cheaper phones in the future and already have a 600 series and 500 series to push into the "cheaper" markets. They just haven't rolled out Win 8 versions yet.

The biggest problem that Windows phones has been having has actually been CDMA. Microsoft and Nokia worried sooo much about GSM that they basically ignored the biggest market in the US which severally stunted their growth. I guess they hoped that Nokia would be larger attraction in the EU compared to HTC or Samsung, but they basically ignored the fact that they typically slow adopters of anything and that even if it was a hit the EU is about 6 months to a year behind on trends.

But none of those are reasons not to get Lumia or other Win8 phone (outside storage the HTC 8X is pretty decent to).
                          AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                            Very cool.

Comment

• It is, but the planes over the U.S. look like they're all gonna collide!
                              #birdsarentreal

Comment

• If you click on the aircraft symbol and then choose cockpit view it gives you the google earth view of the heading and altitude. Just followed one in to detroit that was cool picking out the landmarks

Comment

Working...
                                X