OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmmm.

Don't remember the original, but then again, my grey matter is turning into dust.

Tanks. Will find and do it.
    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Ok. Found an important update available even though my system said I was last updated last Tuesday.

The download took a really long time even though it was supposedly only 758 MB. It took even longer to shut down to make the download working.

The one thing I did notice is that after logging on, I was sent directly to my home screen and not the Aps screen.

Really took a long time though, considering how small they said the file was.

Comment

• MM,

Here is what the update #1 did to W8.1:

19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Re: OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post

The download took a really long time even though it was supposedly only 758 MB.

Really took a long time though, considering how small they said the file was.
          758 MB is NOT small.
          "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by UKBB View Post
            758 MB is NOT small.
            19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Ok, ok. So a novice can mistake MB for KB.

It was downloaded and installed successfully and I am booting straight to desktop instead of Apps page.

That is the most noticeable difference so far.

Thanks for the link, Gonz. Going to read it for the second time to properly digest it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                Ok, ok. So a novice can mistake MB for KB.
                It was downloaded and installed successfully and I am booting straight to desktop instead of Apps page.

That is the most noticeable difference so far.
                hmmmm so kind of like Win 7?
                Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Except I think the infrastructure is much more robust or something. ;)
                  To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• For users of Win 8/8.1. Can you make tiles lead to groups of programs? Sort of like opening a folder on traditional windows, or does every tile always go to an idividual program?

I for one use a lot of programs. a LOT. It seems like if it were all tile shortcuts, like my xbox 360 or Droid that I would have a lot more work swiping screens of tiles to get where I want to go versus the good old start menu.

It sounds like Microsoft is understanding that - in theory one system for everything is nice - but some different environments are more suited for one user interface versus another? Duh?
                    Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Weird - it is as if people use their computer differently than their phone.

Or perhaps they don't? Do most people just do chat and social media these days on their computers? Maybe now people who use computers AS computers need to be called 'power-users' and a new branch of windows needs to be offered?

By saying people who use computers AS computers I just mean who do things their phone would not work well for. I just wonder if Microsoft is marketing to a crowd that would be just as happy on a phone, tablet or PC because they are only using a PC for apps, chat or whatever?
                      Lions Fans.

Comment

• Also, they no longer teach cursive. And the sky is falling.

Where are my keys?
                        Lions Fans.

Comment

• I use my home PC mostly for gaming and sometimes for work. I hardly use the metro UI at all, since everything is there on the desktop. The Metro UI isn't horrible for finding programs, and you can get rid of the tiles for more of a list like the start menu (although it still takes up the whole screen). I thought they were bringing back the start menu, or is still a separate downloaded program?
                          2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• I know there is an add-on program to add a start menu. But I believe I read they are adding it back in with an update.

But I have never yet touched 8, which is why I asked. I am leary of it. Still interested, but I got into the details because I was needing to replace several XP systems. I already decided to go with 7 and bought 3 machines with it. But I suspect Microsoft will push everyone up faster than they did with XP going forward.
                            Lions Fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by dpatnod View Post
                              For users of Win 8/8.1. Can you make tiles lead to groups of programs? Sort of like opening a folder on traditional windows, or does every tile always go to an idividual program?

I for one use a lot of programs. a LOT. It seems like if it were all tile shortcuts, like my xbox 360 or Droid that I would have a lot more work swiping screens of tiles to get where I want to go versus the good old start menu.

It sounds like Microsoft is understanding that - in theory one system for everything is nice - but some different environments are more suited for one user interface versus another? Duh?
                              I have several folders on my droid that group apps to reduce the side swiping
                              Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• I did on my old Droid that I gave to my daughter. My new one I do not. I don't use it for a whole lot that I need any folders, so I haven't bothered with it.

But can the Windows 8 tiles be setup to do the same?
                                Lions Fans.

Comment

Working...
                                X