No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have actually thought about back to window 7, but I guess I will try the free windows 10 first. I hate windows 8.1

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    "Great leaders are almost always great simplifiers, who can cut through argument, debate and doubt, to offer a solution everybody can understand."
    Colin Powell

Comment

• Originally posted by LionsNC View Post
      I have actually thought about back to window 7, but I guess I will try the free windows 10 first. I hate windows 8.1

What do you hate, the start screen? It's pretty easy to add a start menu.
      "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Lots of complaints coming in on Windows 10 updates that are not wanted by companies.
        19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• On a separate topic, Directv was gouging us for around $70 on equipment fees. Our bill for just TV, no internet or phone, was $205 per month when everything was tallied up.

So I switched from Dtv to Charter and setup a whole-home PVR system. Now I've got two HDHOMERun primes with cable cards feeding six tuners. I've got an i5 laptop running Windows Media Center (WMC) for the DVR and running a Kodi interface for all the back end channels also on laptops.

WMC has a restriction of only seeing four tuners but I ran TunerSalad and upped it to 32 tuners, (so it sees my six easily), but for some reason we can only record four shows concurrently, still working on that one.

Comment

• Packfan you are in my neck of the woods with this - look at KODI (formerly XBMC) has native support for the HDHomerun Prime, I put one in May of 2014. It is an all in one media solution....
            Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• I reference KODI because M$ killed of WMC (the best free un advertised feature of Win 7, now pay for with Win 8.x) with Windows 10.
              Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by UKBB View Post
                What do you hate, the start screen? It's pretty easy to add a start menu.
                Actually the thing I hate the most is that I constantly adjust the size of my window without trying or wanting to. Usually when I am trying to click and drag something, it's a real pain in the ass.
                "Great leaders are almost always great simplifiers, who can cut through argument, debate and doubt, to offer a solution everybody can understand."
                Colin Powell

Comment

• I have that happen in Windows 7 too.
                  "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• I still use 7. I updated to it just prior to 8 coming out. I don't sit and think about it all the time, however, I still don't understand what 8 does so much better than 7. And now there's 10?

Do these updates REALLY make things better? I'm pretty certain they do not, and the frequent updates are just a way to get more money out of consumers.
                    ------------
                    <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• Windows 8 was very different than Windows 7 (it's debatable if it was different good or different bad). Windows 10 is a FREE update. If they're trying to get more money out of consumers with a free update, they're doing it wrong.
                      #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Deb, How do you like windows 10 so far? I will probably try it soon. My only hesitation is I had a little trouble getting my gov home use office to reload. I have cd somewhere, but I can't find it.

Colin Powell

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                          Windows 8 was very different than Windows 7 (it's debatable if it was different good or different bad). Windows 10 is a FREE update. If they're trying to get more money out of consumers with a free update, they're doing it wrong.
                          It's possible MS is playing catch up with Apple, which would be a good thing, I suppose.

I personally hate updates. How shitty are these apps that they have to be updated every other week?

The answer is, they weren't shitty and didn't need updating that quickly.

I swear, I could still get by on 90s MS office apps, but everytime they come out with a new iteration, the military buys it and forces us all to adapt to it. I have to learn the entire app all over again, finding where they hid the things that worked well if they didn't remove the capability altogether.
                          ------------
                          <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• Curious about ten as well. Saw the free update pop-up a couple times.
                            "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

• Originally posted by LionsNC View Post
                              Deb, How do you like windows 10 so far? I will probably try it soon. My only hesitation is I had a little trouble getting my gov home use office to reload. I have cd somewhere, but I can't find it.

It's fine, no real changes for what I do on my PC. The upgrade was super easy and no need to reinstall anything, you can just do an update and keep your programs in place.
                              #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Thanks, I guess that makes it easy.

Colin Powell

Comment

Working...
                                X