No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd love to buy a real NAS like that, but can't budget it at the moment. I bought one of those WD MyClouds and it has really fallen short for remote access. Basically, I use it as an external hard drive. It does all right at serving stuff within my network, but outside it stinks.

I kind of knew going in that it was "too good to be true" at the price, but gave it a try.
    The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• I haven't been doing a good job of uploading everything to the MyCloud, but I know my dad enjoyed being able to get all the pictures/video off of it. It certainly made that sort of thing easier. I guess I should get off my butt and catch up with all of those over the holidays.

My main (and newer) monitor, a Dell 2711, started having issues again a few weeks ago. On the right half of the screen, the blue pixels just go crazy depending on what's on the screen. If it's white or red, you can't really notice it, but with any other color it's very distracting. Apparently, it's a pretty common problem with that monitor. First world problems and all, but I had not realized how convenient having two monitors was until I had to go back to one.
      2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• bim - it's consolidating everything. Mainly a media center....loaded it with qty (8) x 4 TB drives.
        Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• forum cool guy was to be ( 8 )
          Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Coop View Post
            forum cool guy was to be ( 8 )
            Odd. I didn't know they made a symbol for hemorrhoids.
            Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

• Been having an odd issue happening for the past week or so, and I can't seem to find anything on google that sounds the same.

I usually just put my pc at home in sleep mode when I'm done for the day. Up to now, sometimes it'll start up overnight or during the day to update windows. I've also seen it turn back on if the keyboard or mouse gets bumped, but that's not what is happening either.

This new issue is that it'll start itself back up for about 20-30 minutes, power down for a short time and then start up again. I noticed this cycle happen about 4-5 times yesterday morning. Last night I had put it in sleep mode and then went downstairs, but I could hear the fans running so went back up to turn it off completely. When I hit "shutdown" it came up saying that if I did that all users wouldn't be able to continue their work, which I thought was a bit odd.

I've run Malwarebytes and my virus check and both have come up clean. Anyone have some insights?

Comment

• Originally posted by LionsFanInJapan View Post
                Been having an odd issue happening for the past week or so, and I can't seem to find anything on google that sounds the same.

I usually just put my pc at home in sleep mode when I'm done for the day. Up to now, sometimes it'll start up overnight or during the day to update windows. I've also seen it turn back on if the keyboard or mouse gets bumped, but that's not what is happening either.

This new issue is that it'll start itself back up for about 20-30 minutes, power down for a short time and then start up again. I noticed this cycle happen about 4-5 times yesterday morning. Last night I had put it in sleep mode and then went downstairs, but I could hear the fans running so went back up to turn it off completely. When I hit "shutdown" it came up saying that if I did that all users wouldn't be able to continue their work, which I thought was a bit odd.

I've run Malwarebytes and my virus check and both have come up clean. Anyone have some insights?
                Did you try:

1. Go to Start, type Device Manager and then press Enter
                2. Expand Network adapters
                3. Right click a network adapter and then click Properties.
                4. Click Power Management
                5. Make sure the box, Allow this device to wake the computer is NOT TICKED.

Apply this to all network adapters.
                Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

• Sleep has always been an issue with Windows. Chances are it is a bios issue if you have a DIY mobo might want to search for sleep issues with it or try the latest bios. I have a pc at home that for the life of me I can't get to stop waking up from sleep or hibernate after 10-20 minutes.
                  AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• I'll check that when I get home, Trick.

It's always turned on from time to time, but why would it turn itself back off again...and then immediately power right back on?

Comment

• Originally posted by Topweasel View Post
                      Sleep has always been an issue with Windows. Chances are it is a bios issue if you have a DIY mobo might want to search for sleep issues with it or try the latest bios. I have a pc at home that for the life of me I can't get to stop waking up from sleep or hibernate after 10-20 minutes.
                      I would wonder about the motherboard, but it's one I've had for 5+ years now. It just seems weird it'd be an issue that would start now.

Comment

• Originally posted by LionsFanInJapan View Post
                        I would wonder about the motherboard, but it's one I've had for 5+ years now. It just seems weird it'd be an issue that would start now.
                        Wake up uses small power fluctuations to to instigate the wake-up. So it could be a sign of a minor problem coming up. I would recommend using the tips above for removing wake up from some devices, mainly the nics and the mouse specially if it's a wireless mouse. Also make sure wake on LAN is disabled in the BIOS. Also check that the system is set to stay off after you receive power after a power outage.

That's the sledge hammer approach. After that you can turn them on one by one to figure out which was causing it.
                        AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Cheers guys. I'll tinker with it tonight.

Comment

• My PC started having wake issues when I updated to Windows 10, but it boots so quickly now that I just shut it down when I'm done with it.
                            "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• It wasn't the network adapters, but I went into the BIOS and the LAN wake up was on. I'll see if it happens again, but it looks like that did the trick.

Comment

• If you've got 10 minutes, this was pretty entertaining.

What happens when you reply to spam email

Comment

Working...
                                X