No announcement yet.

Celebrity Death Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really? Radio just about killed that one song of hers: "Tried to make me go to rehab, but I said noooo, noooo, nooo!!"
    #birdsarentreal

Comment

• I hadn't ever heard her music, either, but a couple of months ago after reading about another one of her scandalous episodes I decided to download some and I must say, it is pretty good (I'm actually surprised to hear that it got a lot of radio play - doesn't seem like it would but what do I know about radio these days). It is bizarre though - you would never think it was her - her voice sounds like a 60 year old depression-era black woman.
      Last edited by kayrone; August 14, 2008, 08:59 PM.
      "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

• Originally posted by kayrone View Post
        I hadn't ever heard her music, either, but a couple of months ago after reading about another one of her scandalous episodes I decided to download some and I must say, it is pretty good (I'm actually surprised to hear that it got a lot of radio play - doesn't seem like it would but what do I know about radio these days). It is bizarre though - you would never think it was her - her voice sounds like a 60 year old depression-era black woman.
        Bingo Kay. I felt much like someone seeing Janis Joplin for the first time must have felt.

(btw, the band backing her up on that single are the "Dap-Kings." They've had several of thier own albums with Sharon Jones, which borrow heavily from the Stax sound. 100 days, 100 nights is the latest I think, and is a lot of fun.)
        To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• I just listened to samples at amazon and she does have a cool voice. But I hadn't heard the rehab song. I don't listen to radio much except in the morning and then it's shows, no music.
          "And I'm a million different people from one day to the next..."

Comment

• Her music sounds old because of the production. All of the arrangements sound dated in a cool kind of way, and if you heard just the instrumental tracks without the voice, you'd swear it was at least 40 years old. Actually, alot of the music sounds like Motown to me.

She's a freaking mess but has a very cool voice.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
              Bingo Kay. I felt much like someone seeing Janis Joplin for the first time must have felt.

(btw, the band backing her up on that single are the "Dap-Kings." They've had several of thier own albums with Sharon Jones, which borrow heavily from the Stax sound. 100 days, 100 nights is the latest I think, and is a lot of fun.)
              Another artist in the same vein (but with her head screwed on straight) is Duffy. Her song "Mercy" is excellent.

Dap-Kings are great, I have several of their songs...Sharon Jones...damn, that girl can kick it!
              Come take a look at

< The New Lions GM!

Comment

• her band is an awesome blues - show band... her voice makes the hair on my scrotum stand up... it's horrible.
                The only logical explanation is:
                I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

• Deacon: Dam that is a visualization I don't want to see. Go shave yourself man!
                  LionsWhoppeeCushion I'm surrounded with a strange sound after beer, burritos and watching another Lions game.

Comment

• The only logical explanation is:
                    I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

• ^Deac must have took my advice and shaved too close-he can't speak!
                      LionsWhoppeeCushion I'm surrounded with a strange sound after beer, burritos and watching another Lions game.

Comment

• Amy winehouse is always in the news here, her boyfriend is/was inprison for beating up a barman.

Heres a video you may not have seen, she was totally out of it!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

She's not that nice really

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                        AAL Quintez Cephus
                        If you fall during your life, it doesn't matter. You're never a failure as long as you try to get up.

Comment

• Dave Matthews Band sax player LeRoi Moore dies

LOS ANGELES - Dave Matthews Band saxophone player LeRoi Moore, one of the group's founding members and a key part of its eclectic jazz-infused sound, died Tuesday from sudden complications stemming from injuries he sustained in an all-terrain vehicle accident in June. He was 46.

Moore died at Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center, according to a statement released on the band's Web site. The statement did not specify what led to his death.

Moore was initially hospitalized in late June after the accident on his farm outside Charlottesville, Va. He was later discharged and had recently returned to his Los Angeles home to begin a physical rehabilitation program when complications forced him back to the hospital on July 17, the band said.

Galina Shinder, a nursing supervisor at Hollywood Presbyterian, said the hospital could not release any details.

Ambrosia Healy, the band's publicist, said the band's show Tuesday night in Los Angeles was not canceled. Saxophonist Jeff Coffin, who played with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, had been sitting in for Moore during the band's summer tour.

Moore, who liked to wear his trademark dark sunglasses at the bands' live concerts, had classical training but said jazz was his main musical influence, according to a biography on the band's Web site.

"But at this stage I don't really consider myself a jazz musician," Moore said in the biography. Playing with the Dave Matthews Band was "almost better than a jazz gig," he said. "I have plenty of space to improvise, to try new ideas."

Lead singer Dave Matthews credited Moore with arranging many of his songs, which combine Cajun fiddle-playing, African-influenced rhythms and Matthews' playful but haunting voice.

The band formed in 1991 in Charlottesville, Va., when Matthews was working as a bartender. He gave a demo tape of his songs to Moore, who liked what he heard and recruited his friend and fellow jazzman Carter Beauford to play drums, and other musicians.

The group broke out of the local music scene with the album "Under the Table and Dreaming." The band won a Grammy Award in 1997 for its hit song "So Much to Say" off its second album "Crash." Other hits include "What Would You Say," "Crash Into Me" and "Satellite."
                          Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• I've been into DMB for about 15 years, and this news saddens me. RIP LeRoi, I'm gonna put on some UTTAD now.
                            Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• Sure seems like alot of people get killed as a result of ATV accidents.....

Comment

• Man, LeRoi Moore had a great sound...and was a huge part of the Dave Matthews Band....

RIP LeRoi Moore...and keep wailing in the heavens!
                                Come take a look at

< The New Lions GM!

Comment

Working...
                                X