G B U - Just 1 bounce short of the Super Bowl edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dpatnod View Post

I got a call from my mom's cell phone about a month after she passed. A total WTF moment. I answered and no-one was there except for some mumbling background noise.

Found out days later, my sister had given my nephew that phone (flip phone), and he had been playing with his new toy. Weird couple of days there.
    Buddy……. I come in peace……. Is it ok to laugh my fkn arse off at this?! I just did. Sorry 🤦‍♂️
    You told that beautifully
    "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• I apologize that I haven't posted since the game. I really enjoy this community, but I needed some time to digest it for myself. I probably would not have been pleasant company if I had.

I want to preface by pointing out that as a former player, coach, official and administrator, I've been directly involved in literally thousands of competitions. It gives me a certain jaded perspective on competition. It doesn't make me a better person or anything, just more experienced at competition than most.

A competition typically falls into one of two categories, (1) a game between two fairly even teams where one team has a few more things go their way and wins. I call them coin-flip games. (2) A game in which one team is better than the other on that day and will win as long as a large number of things don't go their way.

For me, the games that are hardest to digest are the ones where the team I want to win is the better one on the day but loses anyway. In other words, so many breaks go against the team that being better isn't enough. It's probably because it hurts my sense of fairness which is a huge reason why I enjoy sports.

That was Sunday's game. Of course, what makes it particularly difficult to swallow were the stakes of the game. If it were a coin-flip game (like, for example, the Dallas playoff game in 2015) or a game in which the Lions were outplayed on the day, it would not be so bad to me.

So, that's why I haven't posted since. I'm still a little depressed about it.​

Thank you for being a place I can make a post like this.

Comment

• Now, what I saw with this game, the mistakes fell into three categories:

1) The lights were too bright issues. These are mistakes that a team normally doesn't make, but the greater pressure of the situation lent itself to errors. Josh Reynolds's drops fall into that category.

Those can be remedied with experience.

2) Routine errors; things like communication mistakes, general execution blunders, etc. The Gibbs fumble falls into this category. Those things are going to happen in every game because humans aren't infallible and simply have to be overcome.

3) Talent issues; the player simply wasn't good enough. A better CB finishes the interception that instead bounces off Vildor's helmet for a 51-yard gain and an easy touchdown for the 49ers. Better pass rushers finish the play instead of letting Purdy break contain and extend drives that lead to points.

As I replay the game, the bulk of the collapse occured because of (1) and (3). I think it's too easy as fans to look at the first half and think, "We had this! We blew it!" But the Lions are also that team in the second half; not good enough at enough positions to finish the job.

I get that it sucks, but they have to get better. That's the only way to reliably get over the hump. It was only a missed opportunity if they fall off from here, which I don't think they will.

Comment

• They took a big step this year....The defense was just awful two years ago....they finished this year in the 15-18 range, maddle of the pack but an imporvement.....Take another step forward and the team will be right there....I dont see any reason why the offense wont be stellar again...If they can improve the defense to top 10, then we are talking good shot at super bowl...easier said than done though that is for sure.....CB1 and Edge 2 are biggest needs and those dont grow on trees.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post

Buddy……. I come in peace……. Is it ok to laugh my fkn arse off at this?! I just did. Sorry 🤦‍♂️
            You told that beautifully
            Yes, no argo thread required..... yet!
            Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio and Rich Eisen discuss the role analytics played in Dan Campbell’s controversial decisions in the Lions NFC Championship Game...
              3,062 carries, 15,269 yards, 5.0 yards/carry, 99 TD
              10x Pro Bowl, 6x All-Pro, 1997 MVP, 2004 NFL HoF

Comment

• Originally posted by Kstat View Post
                That hurt. It really, really hurt. That was the most painful Lions game I've ever experienced.
                Can't say it was the most painful. I can think of three that were all just awful, ironically all against Green Bay. The first - the final game of the 2008 season, finishing 0-16 @ Lambeau. The second - December 3, 2015 - Packers @ Lions and the "hail mary" pass that mathematically ended any faint hope of playoffs as time ran out. The third - October 19, Packers @ Lions on SNF when Clete Blakeman called 5 awful (and very questionable) penalties at critical moments during the game giving the Packers the W. I almost put all my stuff in boxes and quit being a fan that next day.
                Got Kneecaps?

Comment

Working...
                X