Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "What a heckuva career the kid had for the Wings."
    ----------------------------------Ya a HOF one. :-)

GO LIONS "11" !
    GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• USA Today thinks he is coming back

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
        "What a heckuva career the kid had for the Wings."

GO LIONS "11" !
        Red Wings Hall of Fame? Absolutely.

NHL Hall of Fame? Ehhhhh... no.

Comment

• USA Today updates with the news that Osgood is going to retire.

Comment

• Thank goodness! I saw it on ESPN bottom line saying he was going to return. Time to hang'em up.
            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
              "What a heckuva career the kid had for the Wings."

GO LIONS "11" !
              NOPE!!!
              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I don't think you guys realize how many people are in the NHL Hall of Fame. This isn't the baseball Hall of Fame, Osgood has the stats and is better than some of the goalies in there. Dino Ciccarelli is in that Hall of Fame for goodness sakes.

Comment

• Oh, I'm sure Osgood will be, froot. But he would not get my vote.

I tend to be very picky about what I think HoF worthiness is, though.

Comment

• Osgood is definitely what baseball folks like to call a compiler. They normally do it with disdain. A guy who stuck around long enough to amass stats, but not really ever the dominant player. They use it as something against someone for a Hall of Fame candidacy. To me, being able to stay around for a long time is underestimated.

What I think a Hall of Fame should be, I probably wouldn't vote for Osgood. But if I was a voter and I saw who was in the Hall of Fame, I would have to vote for him.

Comment

• Well, there is a sliding scale when it comes to "compilers".

If you could argue that a player was one of the best for a stretch of years (was considered for end of season awards, was a finalist a few times, a handful of All-Star appearances), then yeah, a long career can give those compiled stats meaning.

But if the guy had mediocre numbers and just happened to play 20 years, no, that's not enough.

In Osgood's case, he kinda falls right in the middle. He had some good years... a few awards (although the Jennings trophies he has are shared with Vernon and Hasek respectively)... a couple All-Star appearances... but really, his career was good, not great, when you look back on it.

Now, he was definitely one of the best Red Wing goaltenders they've had (Hasek's best years really were in Buffalo, and one could argue Vernon's best were with the Flames), and what Osgood did to step in and take over in net in the 2008 playoffs was gutsy and showed incredible poise. If we were talking about the Red Wings Hall of Fame, he would absolutely get my vote hands down, every time.
                      Last edited by chemiclord; July 19, 2011, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• He definitely has the numbers to get into the HOF.

I will agree however, he did not strike fear into the opponents or the opponent fan base.

He has the numbers and the Cups to get in.

Rumor has it, he was going to ask Jaadam to introduce him on induction day.
                        I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• But if the guy had mediocre numbers and just happened to play 20 years, no, that's not enough.

Thats not the case with Osgood however.

Comment

• He got 30 wins playing for the Islanders and Blues each during the early 2000's...he was a really underrated goalie in his prime
                            2013 2014 AAL: Glover Quin #27

Comment

• Oz was a great wing. Sad to see him go, but yeah, it was time.
                              AAL: KhaDarel Hodges

Comment

• Thanks Ozzie. Good luck to you.
                                ------------
                                <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

Working...
                                X