Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
    The pressure is irrelevant to the fact that the Wings are simply right now playing better than Chicago is. Those 3rd period penalties all started coming AFTER they were already down 3-1 in the game.

Personally, I find it a bit insulting to the Red Wings to insinuate that anything other than their level of play is the reason they are leading this series.
    Personally?

Hmmmmmmmmm.

This says you are a (homer) Red Wing fan, as I am.

You have changed your take but continue to only pay homage to what happened, not what can/or might happen.

According to your way of thinking, it is time for the inconsistency of the regular season to kick in.

I am going to give you grief with each win (and understand you have no problem eating the crow).
    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
      Personally?

Hmmmmmmmmm.

This says you are a (homer) Red Wing fan, as I am.

You have changed your take but continue to only pay homage to what happened, not what can/or might happen.

According to your way of thinking, it is time for the inconsistency of the regular season to kick in.

I am going to give you grief with each win (and understand you have no problem eating the crow).
      Well, that's pretty much how I roll. I form my opinions based on the trends that have developed, and try and keep sentiment out of it as much as I can.

It's not some exact science or anything. Trends get bucked quite often, as it looks like we're starting to see in this case with this Red Wings team. Could they return to form tomorrow and lay a stinker? Sure.

I'm far more interested to see if Chicago gets their act together, though, because they ARE bordering on a meltdown. IF they sort themselves out and play like they CAN play... not even the Wings best could be enough. The Blackhawks still have the better team in terms of pure talent from top to bottom, and can still impose their will on this series.

But the Wings are doing what they need to do. They've delivered a body blow that rocked the Blackhawks in Game 3, and now we'll see if Chicago has an answer.

Comment

• I wish Holland would have gutted the team in the offseason. The Wings' future would be much more appealing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom View Post
          I wish Holland would have gutted the team in the offseason. The Wings' future would be much more appealing.
          I'm still not sure who is going to step up and fill Zetterberg and Datsyuk and Kronwall's roles in the next 2-3 years when age starts to catch up to them. THAT much hasn't changed. This core they have is aging, and I'm not convinced Detroit has that next generation ready and waiting to take over. They still lack a power forward to step in, and I'd actually have to see Jurco in action at the NHL level for more than spot duty to be comfortable with him as the distributor to take over for Datsyuk. Brunner is a great offensive threat... but he's not exactly young either (though he's not exactly OLD at 27 either). Defensive depth is still a bit shaky, though Colcevechio and DeKeyser (and Smith in flashes) have definitely shown that the cupboard isn't bare for the future either.

But it looks like Holland was right in that this core had at least one more run in them. Even if Chicago rattles off the next three and advances, Detroit wasn't a fish for anybody in these playoffs. I'm okay with that, really... especially in a weird strike shortened year where craziness was the norm.
          Last edited by chemiclord; May 22, 2013, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
            The pressure is irrelevant to the fact that the Wings are simply right now playing better than Chicago is. Those 3rd period penalties all started coming AFTER they were already down 3-1 in the game.

Personally, I find it a bit insulting to the Red Wings to insinuate that anything other than their level of play is the reason they are leading this series.
            Chem, the reality is the Red Wings already demonstrated this kind of play in the regular season against these same Blackhawks. In fact I'd argue that the Red Wings outplayed them in two of those loses - but unlike the regular season they stopped shooting themselves in the foot in this series.

This was never going to be a blowout like Chicago had in Rd 1 - wasn't going to be the case. The trend in the regular season suggested as much. 4 games, 1 blowout, 3 games going OT/SO.

This series isn't over, it's just getting started. I don't expect Chicago to roll over any more than I expect the Red Wings to shit the bed. Should be some good games on tap the rest of this series - the regular season meetings suggest as much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post
              Chem, the reality is the Red Wings already demonstrated this kind of play in the regular season against these same Blackhawks. In fact I'd argue that the Red Wings outplayed them in two of those loses - but unlike the regular season they stopped shooting themselves in the foot in this series.

This was never going to be a blowout like Chicago had in Rd 1 - wasn't going to be the case. The trend in the regular season suggested as much. 4 games, 1 blowout, 3 games going OT/SO.

This series isn't over, it's just getting started. I don't expect Chicago to roll over any more than I expect the Red Wings to shit the bed. Should be some good games on tap the rest of this series - the regular season meetings suggest as much.
              Nah. The only one of the four games Detroit really "outplayed" Chicago was the one that the Blackhawks barely squeaked in a game tying goal with 2 minutes left.

There was more than ample reason to think (especially with how Detroit ran hot and cold all season) that the series could be over quickly. Fortunately, outside of Game 1 (which can be explained away from jet lag of the Anaheim series), they haven't had any of those narcoleptic moments that plagued them all season and even at times against Anaheim.

I mean, the Wings blew two multiple goal leads in the third period as recently as the last series. If even one of those games played out differently in OT, we're sitting here wondering "what if...?" rather than having this discussion. Pardon me for not having complete faith they'd be able to maintain a high level of play as this series started.
              Last edited by chemiclord; May 23, 2013, 01:03 AM.

Comment

• I don't see a Zetterberg or Datsyuk either, but I also don't think trading them gets you one. That was always my point. They are going to have to find one in free agency or a trade. You are much better off trading a few prospects for someone like that. 4 quarters for a dollar as opposed to trading a dollar for 4 quarters.

But I do think that Joakim Andersson is going to be sweet.

Comment

• You have to remember, we did not see Datsuk in advance he just showed up and started to amaze.

I am saying just because we don't see their replacements does not mean they are not already somewhere away from our (and others) eyes.

Comment

• That's true as well. All I remember about Dats when he first arrived was Brett Hull talking about how great Pavel was going to be.
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I thought both Datsyuk and Zetterberg had advanced billing. At least I had heard about them a lot. But back then Art Regner was on the radio and he devoted a lot of time to the Red Wings. He spoke with Holland on the radio a lot. Now, Datsyuk wasn't nearly as hyped as Grigorenko but he didn't come out of nowhere. Zetterberg was tearng it up with Team Sweden as a prospect. In the World Juniors tournament, he dominated.

Comment

• I did hear a lot about Zetterburg prior to him making the roster but I don't recall hearing anything about Datsyuk.

Comment

• I still haven't heard as much about Datsyuk as he deserves.

Comment

• Those playoff announcers love them some Datsyuk. If he is anywhere near the puck they are gushing.

Comment

• Both were billed as late round steals when they were drafted and the prospect reports I remember reading left no doubt they would be good.
                              Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Wings with some pretty typical at this point turnovers giving the Blackhawks some chances, but Howard's kept 'em off the scoreboard, and the Wings gave as good as they got in the first.

But the Wings strike first on the power play. Good to see them taking advantage.
                                Last edited by chemiclord; May 23, 2013, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X