No announcement yet.

Non-football related stuff that really makes your day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did MM and let's just say I took the wrong fork in the road! So I'm heading back to banking / investments. It will be a longer commute and the schedule will be an adjustment, but it will totally be worth it
    More money, better benefits and no more douchebag boss.
    "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
      We were fortunate to have lunch with BENNIE BLADES (an old favorite of mine) and LOMAS BROWN at Slow's BBQ yesterday.
      Oh man, that's sweet! And you went to Slows!! I was off yesterday :(
      #birdsarentreal

Comment

We were fortunate to have lunch with BENNIE BLADES (an old favorite of mine) and LOMAS BROWN at Slow's BBQ yesterday.
        AWESOME. Gonz, need your # again.

Congrats, Kay. Wish I could have joined you.
        Last edited by DanO; October 1, 2013, 04:27 PM.
        GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• I can't believe Gonz braved Corktown to go to Slows BBQ. Right behind the train station is literally the scariest underpass I've ever seen.

Comment

• I drive by there a few times a week (taking Michigan to the Ren Cen is often faster than 94). Where is the parking for Slows? Street parking in on the ave is always full.
            #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
              I drive by there a few times a week (taking Michigan to the Ren Cen is often faster than 94). Where is the parking for Slows? Street parking in on the ave is always full.
              Lunchtime parking on Monday was behind on the little side street.
              19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Very minimal parking out front. Side street is where it's at.
                GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• That's pretty sweet guys. Did you have a chance to talk with them at all?

Congrats, Kay! I hope the new job works out well for you and your family.
                  2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

Thanks...how was the food?
                    #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                      I can't believe Gonz braved Corktown to go to Slows BBQ. Right behind the train station is literally the scariest underpass I've ever seen.
                      I was the tour guide.

Actually, we parked behind the buildings on the service drive which could be considered an ally and on our way out, we were approached by a pan handler but......

I asked both Panoptes and Dustdog if they ever felt threatened or unsafe and the answer was no.

Bottom line is as long as you are aware of your surroundings and know what you are doing, Detroit is not as bad as the national media makes it out to be.

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                      Yup. We could have parked behind Mercury Grill in a secured lot for 3 bucks but, there was really no need for the time of day.

Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                      Thanks...how was the food?
                      Well, great question.

I ordered pulled pork to see if it was as good as mine. I will admit the first bite I took also had burnt parts (which I like the best) and was salty, and said so on the first bite. Overall though, it was really good but of course, I will always rate mine better.

Gonz chose a combo plate and the ribs would make or break it. They were dry rubbed and were dry on the plate. I am not sure why they would not think putting sauce on them would make them juicer, but I am guessing a lathering of sauce and quick heat up would have made them impossibly good but, that is not the way they were served.

Briscut could have been trimmed better and I refused a sample because I already know the last two times I did one, this would not compare because again, they looked dry on the plate. Mine have a bit of juiciness to them (if I do them right).

Really, it was not bad but, it was not something an out of towner would say those are the best they ever had.

.......oooops. I am talking for Gonz and should not be but, that is my take.
                      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• DET may be the ex champ murder capital of the country but bad hoods dont skeer me. I've trolled crazy neighborhoods all over much of the Western hemisphere without much issue. Hell, L.A. has equally scary hoods that we've walked. Panhandlers (skids as ULFs friend rightfully refers to them as) everywhere, in any language, really fn bug ith their crack head lies though.

As for Slows, the best part was the company i was sharing lunch with, the Rogue beers I slugged down and the mac and cheese was quality.

The bbq wings were just ok. Nothing special.

The St. Louis rib half rack was dry as all get out. I could see it having potential from the smokiness it had but it clearly wasnt fresh and was dried out under a light.

The brisket was smokey, tender and tasty with the right sauce on it but like Marko alluded to, it was poorly trimmed (the fat cap was basically left on, yuk) leaving a visual mess on the plate.

As for my personal BBQ ranking compared to the places ive patronized, this place would rank in the 2 out of 5 star range.

Seeing BLADES and BROWN in the house doesnt even raise the house ranking.

In leaving the place i gave for one second the thought of buying a tshirt but quickly justified not advertising for the place.
                        Last edited by Panoptes; October 2, 2013, 12:58 AM.
                        19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Well, good to know I'm not missing out on anything there. I've gone to Billy Sims' BBQ once or twice now and have liked it...guess I'll stick to that place for BBQ.
                          #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                            I was the tour guide.

Actually, we parked behind the buildings on the service drive which could be considered an ally and on our way out, we were approached by a pan handler but......

I asked both Panoptes and Dustdog if they ever felt threatened or unsafe and the answer was no.

Bottom line is as long as you are aware of your surroundings and know what you are doing, Detroit is not as bad as the national media makes it out to be.
                            I agree, Corktown is somewhat booming for a Detroit neighboorhood. We go down there quite a bit for the St. Patricks Day parade and the Gaelic League. Its pretty safe around there

I'm just saying that underpass I'm talking about is totally creepy. Not something out of a movie. What did they think about the Depot?

Comment

• We did not go past the Depot, we came from Downtown then doubled back and went to Belle Isle. We did acknowledge the Tiger Stadium site though.

Your Gaelic League building is in the same block as the Malteese Club. There is another Malteese Club building in Dearborn. Haven't been to either in a while but did notice the one on Michigan still has all it's markings. Not sure if it is still occupied, though.
                              I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• I actually caught a train from the depot back in 1980. It took me from Detroit to Chicago and the Navy
                                Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

Working...
                                X