Non-football related stuff that really makes your day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
    Hope that stays true. I had a four day class the week before Thanksgiving. Taught by a 70 year old French dude. Covering one day's worth of material. I think I'd rather work.
    It was more about the photo that failed to attach - my class is in West Palm Beach. Although I would be down with a 70 year old French dude as my teacher, but that's just me. :-)
    Attached Files
    "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

• Ohh niceeeeeeee!

The French dude was cool. But so slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
      #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Woooo Ha!

Tomorrow my Dad turns 85.

Yesterday he had a valve replacement and triple bypass at Uof M.

He sold his house in Arizona to come back and live here because he knew he was in declining health and my Mom is wheelchair bound and he was no longer able to be her primary caretaker and moved back to where their kids are for help.

We were concerned because he was labeled a bleeder from previous surgeries and working on the heart.....and bleeder....well, seriously, I said my last goodbyes on his way into the operating room because I thought the odds were stacked against him.

The one thing I knew just might be a variable that would defy all odds was his strong desire to continue to be the primary caretaker of my Mom.

Since Mom is wheelchair handicapped they both agreed it would not be a good thing for her to accompany Dad to the hospital and endure the grueling waiting time while he was going through the procedure. The kids took over and there is a strong network of help for both parents and their needs during this difficult time for two independent people who relied on no one and helped everyone they could.

The look in their eyes and on their faces when they said goodbye to each other on the morning of surgery melts my heart and is a moment I will never forget.

Today was a very difficult day for Dad as he had to overcome a lot of odds stacked against him to get out of ICU and be well enough to go home to care for Mom. I spent 17 hours at the hospital yesterday and was elated that many of the signs I was told to expect were not present after coming out of surgery (which honestly, I had my doubts he would make it off the operating table). While he was resting, I ran home to catch 4 hours of shut eye and returned many hours before dawn to monitor his status and be his advocate.

Today was a big day for him as they set goals he needed to make to get into a regular room and go home. Yesterday he was semi conscious and knew I was there because he responded to my voice and had extremely limited ability to communicate. This morning, he seemed to be aware the moment I entered the room despite the fact it was very early and he really should have been under the influence of pain killing medication. Our communication began the moment I entered the room and was much improved from the few hours since I had left.

Today he not only achieved but, surpassed all of the physical and medical goals they set for him. He affirmed both vocally and literally that his desire to get back home to take care of my Mom is a strong motivational reason for his success today.

It has been a long two days but, a lesson that I am grateful to have witnessed which is, true love, and strong will, can overcome statistical obstacles.

I am one happy (but tired) puppy.
        I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• That's great news, Mark! I'm glad that everything went well. I hope he can continue to improve and get back to your mom soon.
          2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• Tanks Jer.

Comment

• That is wonderful news Mark!

I hope & pray your Dad continues to make a full recovery.

And BTW, Happy Birthday to your Dad!

Comment

• Damn, dude, almost made me cry.
                "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

• Originally posted by YT View Post
                  That is wonderful news Mark!

I hope & pray your Dad continues to make a full recovery.

And BTW, Happy Birthday to your Dad!
                  Thanks, Stan.

Originally posted by Sharkbait View Post
                  Damn, dude, almost made me cry.
                  It brought me to tears few times. (I guess I lost my man card).

Gotta go get some shut eye because got to be back early again tomorrow and work too.

Comment

• it's the circle of life Maltus...my dad jokes sometimes saying "live long enough to be a problem to your kids" and it is joking...but we do end up having to care for them, as they cared for us.
                    Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Mark, that's wonderful news!! Your Dad is a fighter.
                      #birdsarentreal

Comment

• good news Mark! Best wishes to you and your Dad!
                        Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Yay papa Malto!
                          "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

• Great news, Mark
                            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by Coop View Post
                              it's the circle of life Maltus...my dad jokes sometimes saying "live long enough to be a problem to your kids" and it is joking...but we do end up having to care for them, as they cared for us.
                              That tis, Coop

Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                              Mark, that's wonderful news!! Your Dad is a fighter.
                              Thanks Deb and you are correct, he is a fighter.

Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                              good news Mark! Best wishes to you and your Dad!
                              Thanks Tony

Originally posted by kayrone View Post
                              Yay papa Malto!
                              Thanks Kay

Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                              Great news, Mark
                              Thanks, Jim.

Update. Got to the Hospital about 4:30 this morning and he was sitting in a chair instead of his bed. It was because he had phlem in his lungs that he was not coughing up. He was asleep so I just sat and waited for him to wake. He woke about 35 minutes after I got there and noticed I was there immediately upon waking. About 5 minutes later, he coughed up the lugie he was having problems with.

While I was there, 4 out of his 5 doctors were in to see him and he is going to have more tubes removed today and later this afternoon he will be moved from ICU to an Acute Care room in the general hospital. (Currently he is in the Cardiac Wing)

With this good news, he probably will be home by the weekend.

With today's technology, Mom and Dad were able to talk to, and see each other last night via smart phones (not mine, mind you. I still have a flip dinosaur). I am going to have to get me one of those things.

Comment

• all of what was said before! Great news, glad everything is working out well. Get some sleep.
                                AAL:to be determined

2011 NFL Draft Wish List:

1. Patrick Peterson Cornerback LSU
                                2. Mark Herzlich Outside Linebacker Boston College
                                3. John Moffitt Center Wisconsin
                                4. Steve Schilling Guard Michigan
                                5. Jeremy Kerley Wide Receiver TCU
                                6. Carl Johnson Tackle Florida
                                7. Johnny Patrick Cornerback Louisville

Comment

Working...
                                X