No announcement yet.

New Members - Welcome! Check in here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome apham. There's usually a way to watch the Lions online, if you're interested.
    #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Welcome apham

GO LIONS "11" !
      GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Welcome lurkers.

Now get to work posting unseen articles and data about the Lions.

This place is like a MLM firm.

You come in, the Seniors get to stop doing the foot work.

;)
        19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
          Welcome apham. There's usually a way to watch the Lions online, if you're interested.

It seems like that might be tougher this year. Lots of sites got shut down.

Comment

• Hey all,

First post, long-time viewer of this forum and even longer-time Lions fan. I first started watching this forum around the time the Lions had that fake success in 2007, you know, when we started 6-2 and then went 1-9,000 over the next 9,001 games.

The Lions are my only team, not only in the NFL (it's weird but I know of some people who root for several teams equally... ^_-) but they're my only team in all sports. I don't care for baseball, hockey, college football, whatever. I casually liked to watch Ducks games when Joey still had potential, but that's about it.

I've been a Lion since midway through the 1995 season, and the first game I ever watched was that raping in the wildcard game in Philadelphia. I went into the game thinking the Lions were invincible (all Lions fans probably did) and that game just shredded me... I have always dreaded the number 19 since that day.

I became a serious fan of the game and of the Lions in particular in 1997, and I saw all of the games that were broadcast in my area (which is California, and I've never set foot in Michigan). The most memorable of course was Barry's game against the Jets--the interception by Westbrook that clearly was not an interception, Barry's 2,000 yards, both teams needing a win for the playoffs, and of course #59... :(

That game of course was followed by yet another disappointment in the playoffs, but at least this time there was something funny--Reich spiking the ball on 4th down, lol.

Finally in 2001 I upgraded to NFL Sunday Ticket so I could see every game, just in time for the Matt Millen era! I was so excited... lol... ow it still hurts.

During the 0-16 season we had that game at San Francisco, and after the game I disowned the Lions. I thought I'd never do that, not ever, but the years upon years of torture had worn on me and I'd had enough. That game was just another loss, and the score wasn't as bad as I'd seen in my days, but that game in particular I just saw a complete lack of effort. That was what drove me over the edge. But then as we all know, there was the miracle, almost as though Ford Jr and I were mind-locked, and he single-handedly caused the firing of Millen. I'm not superstitious or religious, but of course in sports superstition is physical reality and so I felt that this was a sign, and I took the Lions back and didn't miss the next game. I stood in there for the next 3 months of punishment in that epic season.

Then there was the win over the Redskins, which was Stafford's first as a Lion and the first win for all of us in an eternity, I'll just rely on your guys's memories of how you felt during that last Redskins drive rather than trying to describe how I felt, since mere words would not do it justice. The Browns game that same year was epic of course, that goes without saying.

Now fast-forward to the last four games of last year and I think we're finally becoming legit again, and I've been here all along. The most promising game in my opinion was not shutting out Rodgers in the first half or winning that first game on the road in years or getting -omg- a road winning streak, but really the last game vs Minnesota. Granted, they were the most inferior team of the last 4 we played, and they were coming off an unprecedented Tuesday game, and to top it off their season was stitched up and falling apart worse than Frankenstein's creature, but the thing that impressed me was that we simply dominated them despite our mistakes. In the past, we needed everything to go right to get a win; here, we were fumbling on the goal line and they were getting freak pick-sixes by D-linemen and yet the game was never close. I say we turned a corner with that game.

Also I think it's worth mentioning, and I don't recall the year of when this game was played, but another of my favorite games was that one against Baltimore where they committed a million penalties and we got several interceptions on them and we got more rushing yards against them than we'd ever gotten against anyone in forever and it was also more than they'd given up against anyone since forever. That game was just a weird haze, partly because I was pulling an all-nighter and partly because the events on the field would have been seemingly unreal even if I was fully awake.

So that's all I have to say for now, I'm going to see how the hot topics have progressed since I last checked in here on the draft days and I'll maybe post some responses for the first time ever. Thanks all,

~The Iron Lion
            Last edited by Iron Lion; May 5, 2011, 01:21 AM.
            "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
            Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• Wow, very nice introduction, Iron Lion. You mentioned things I had long forgotten....Reich spiking on fourth down, omg.
              #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Welcome Iron Lion.

Nice intro but I hope all your posts won't be that lengthy. :-)

GO LIONS "11" !
                GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Welcome, bandwagoner Iron Lion!

:-D
                  It's so flat you can watch your dog run away for three days.

Comment

• Welcome Apham & IL.
                    2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• You from Zion iron lion? Were you the one bob Marley spoke about? Very good opening post, liked that very informative. I look fwd to some lengthy discussions about football, hockey, haggis, single malts from the isle of islay and SEAL team 48. People think they don't exist, but fuck them, I know I'm right!
                      "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Can't wait till I'm called a bandwagon fan...

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Lion View Post
                          Can't wait till I'm called a bandwagon fan...
                          You BWF.
                          Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• =]

Comment

• Technically not a new member but I've been missing for a good wee while!

Comment

• Sorry your slot as the Scottish guy here has been filled. Deb will email you if it opens up again.
                                Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

Working...
                                X