No announcement yet.

Forumites and their Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonny sounds like such a special guy even among Goldens. You were truly blessed to have him in your life. My three Goldens made it to 14, 12 and 11.
    Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Thanks for sharing, guys
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by Islair View Post
        Hey Deb, I know Sonny meant the world to you. So I have a little suggestion that might help.

I got a Springer Spaniel named Jake when I was in 5th grade, and with all pets that kids get, he sort of became my Dad's dog. Still Jake was a huge part of our family life for 14 years. When we finally had to put him down, us kids had a watercolor painted for him from a photo we had, and not some little painting either. It was about 16x24 and about 26x34 when it was framed. The painting hangs at the bottom of the stairs in the den where Jake use to spend a lot of time with my Dad. When we gave the painting to my Dad it was one of those rare times I saw my Dad tear up, he is a typical "tough guy" that doesnt like to show his emotions.

You could probably contact a local shelter, or even one of those trendy dog bakery places and find out if they know local artists that do dog portraits. That way Sonny will always have a home with you.
        Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
        Sounds like a very nice idea.
        I know someone based out of Northville, and in fact Mr. was the photographer for the Lions several years including the calander. Mrs. is the artist and will do one from sittings or picture.
        I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Deb-
          Mrs. SLF sends her condolences too. As you may remember we lost our corgi, Harvey, to cancer around thanksgiving 2009, so we know how hard it can be.

We "replaced" him too soon though, and spent several months frustrated that Nicky wasn't Harvey. It wasn't fair to Nicky or to us, and I know that we got a new dog too soon. I'll never try to "replace" one friend with another....
          To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• I went from November to February. My remaining dog was lonely and that helped drive the process when Charlie came along
            Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Yeah Tony, we went like three weeks because Nicky was needing a home...but, I haven't regretted bringing him home for a second.

Comment

• Tony, that was a great story, thanks for posting it.

I have looked at the rescue site but seems most of their dogs they are saying must have a fenced in yard (I'm in a condo). Not sure they would qualify me, but I may still try that eventually.

Slif, good advice, I shouldn't rush in...it's tempting though. As a distraction from the grief.
                #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Oh and Slif, thanks to you and the Mrs. The cancer thing is terrible. I'm sorry you lost your Harvey to it. I have been going through everything in my house, wondering if something I did or have here gave him cancer. And if we had stayed in Ludington would he have gotten it? Etc. I know I'm driving myself crazy (short trip), but I can't help it.
                  Last edited by -Deborah-; April 22, 2011, 10:19 PM.
                  #birdsarentreal

Comment

• I think its safe to say Sonny lived a happy full life, PL don't put any blame on yourself at all Deb, I think its normal to feel like you could have done something different when losing a loved one.. None the less, this really sucks.

SLF had some good advice about replacing him. Not sure what else to say, everyone's different when grieving... I have been somewhat reluctant to click on this thread for bad news, but im sure you will be feeling better as time gos by.
                    Last edited by WingsFan; April 22, 2011, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                      Oh and Slif, thanks to you and the Mrs. The cancer thing is terrible. I'm sorry you lost your Harvey to it. I have been going through everything in my house, wondering if something I did or have here gave him cancer. And if we had stayed in Ludington would he have gotten it? Etc. I know I'm driving myself crazy (short trip), but I can't help it.
                      We had similar thoughts of course Deb. But we always did our best and in the end that has to be enough. :(

Comment

• I have been going through everything in my house, wondering if something I did or have here gave him cancer.
                        Unfortunately that's one of the major issues with the breed now. Unless you made him smoke cigarettes or fed him asbestos I'm very sure there was nothing you could have done different.

In a strange way, the last lesson our dogs teach is how to let go and deal with loss.

Comment

• About a year or so ago, I think I mentioned that I took Sonny to PetCo and they had a photographer there who offered a free 8x10 photograph. I had always wanted photos of me and Sonny so I jumped at the chance. Of course I wound up with much more than my "free" photograph. My avatar photo is one of the pics from that day, but I wanted to post the ones that meant the most to me...

For anyone who is in the "it's just a dog" camp, these photos may seem strange. But I'm so grateful to have these! And, yeah, I know I'm ugly but at least my dog loved me.
                          Attached Files
                          #birdsarentreal

Comment

Attached Files
                            #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Nice pics Deb.................Oh, and you're far from ugly.

GO LIONS "11" !
                              GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• I love that first picture.

Comment

Working...
                                X