X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolphins bring in a receiver

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 31, 2020, 9:45 AM EDT

Getty Images

With just days before they cut the roster to 80, the Dolphins brought in a new receiver.

The team announced the signing of wide receiver Andy Jones. To make room for him on the roster, they waived linebacker James Crawford.

Jones spent some time on their practice squad last year, but was waived in April. He’s also spent time with the Cowboys, Texans, and Lions. He’s played in 11 career regular season games.

The Dolphins apparently needed some depth at receiver this week, with DeVante Parker missing some practice time in recent days with an undisclosed issue.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• DWAYNE WASHINGTONRB, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

Saints placed RB Dwayne Washington on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Washington has operated almost exclusively as a special teams player since signing in New Orleans two years ago. He was likely fighting with Ty Montgomery for the No. 3 job behind Alvin Kamara and Latavius Murray. This news could give Montgomery the inside track but neither are expected to be contributors on offense without multiple injuries ahead of them.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter
      Aug 30, 2020, 5:29 PM
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Report: Riley Reiff agrees to redo deal with Vikings

Posted by Josh Alper on September 1, 2020, 2:05 PM EDT

Getty Images

There won’t be a change of address for left tackle Riley Reiff after all.

It looked like Reiff would be moving on from the Vikings on Monday. They asked him to restructure his deal with the team and take a lower salary in order to remain with the team. Reiff told teammates he expected to be cut, but things have changed since that point.

According to multiple reports, Reiff as agreed to a new deal in Minnesota. Reiff was due to make base salaries of $10.9 million this year and $11.65 million next year, but the details of the revised pact aren’t clear.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Reiff’s agent called around about a potential trade before agreeing to the pay cut. He didn’t find anyone willing to make the deal, which leaves Reiff in position to return for a fourth season in Minnesota.

Comment

• Smart move. Reiff wasn't gonna get even close to that in FA. The only reason for him to refuse would be if he hated playing in Minny, and no reason to believe that
          WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• The fans wanted him to leave

Comment

• Falcons release Khari Lee with injury settlement

Posted by Darin Gantt on September 3, 2020, 2:57 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Falcons made one of the 27 moves they need to make on Thursday.

The team announced that tight end Khari Lee had been released with an injury settlement.

He’s spent time with the Texans, Bears, Lions, and Bills, and was in the XFL prior to joining the Falcons this offseason. He has two career receptions in the NFL.

The Falcons are now down to 79 on the roster, as they prepare to move to 53 by Saturday’s 4 p.m. deadline.

Comment

• Report: Dolphins fielding trade inquiries on Josh Rosen

Posted by Josh Alper on September 3, 2020, 11:46 AM EDT

Getty Images

Quarterback Josh Rosen might be on the move again.

The Dolphins acquired Rosen in a trade with the Cardinals after the Cardinals picked Kyler Murray at the top of the 2019 draft. The arrival of another first-round pick in Miami would be the impetus for any other deal.

Tua Tagovailoa was the fifth-overall pick this year and he’s shown the team that he’s healthy after the hip injury he suffered during his final season at Alabama. As a result, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the team is fielding trade inquiries concerning Rosen.

Miami traded a 2019 second-round pick to Arizona for Rosen and a 2020 fifth-round pick a year after the Cardinals traded up to make Rosen the 10th overall pick of the 2018 draft. Theres no word on what kind of compensation the team would be looking for this time around.

Rosen started three games for Miami last year and 13 games for the Cardinals as a rookie. He has completed 275-of-502 passes for 2,845 yards, 12 touchdowns and 19 interceptions in 20 overall appearances.

Comment

• Kyle Van Noy excited to face Patriots in Dolphins debut

Posted by Josh Alper on September 10, 2020, 7:21 AM EDT

Getty Images

Kyle Van Noy left the Patriots for the Dolphins as a free agent this offseason, but he won’t have to worry about hearing any boos in his return to Gillette Stadium.

There won’t be any fans on hand for Sunday’s game between Miami and New England, which may make it easier to hear what players are saying to one another on the field. Van Noy thinks that will be “a cool experience” for people watching the game on TV because he thinks there will be plenty of jawing between him and former teammates.

“Yeah, going against them, they’re familiar with me. I’m familiar with them. I’m excited for this task,” Van Noy said, via MassLive.com. “They’ve been talking trash the four years I’ve been there, so I’m excited to see if we both can back it up.”

Linebacker Elandon Roberts and center Ted Karras also jumped from New England to Miami, so there should be plenty of pleasantries exchanged as the AFC East teams try to get an early leg up on the divisional race.

Comment

• Ziggy Ansah leaves 49ers without signing

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 15, 2020, 6:13 PM EDT

Getty Images

After a workout in San Francisco, Ziggy Ansah remains a free agent.

Ansah, the veteran defensive end who was a Pro Bowler in Detroit, worked out with the 49ers but could not agree to terms on a contract, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

This was the second time Ansah visited the 49ers, having also met with them in August and left without signing a contract. It’s unclear if there’s any remaining interest or the two sides have decided to go their separate ways.

The No. 5 overall pick in the 2013 NFL draft, Ansah had a couple of very good years in Detroit, recording 14.5 sacks in 2015 and 12 sacks in 2017. But he has struggled with injuries and been ineffective when he did play the last couple of years. He’ll continue looking for a team interested in adding him to its roster.

Comment

• I know he'd end up in the hot tub for 75% of the games, but that would be an improvement over what they have.

Comment

• 49ers sign Ziggy Ansah

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 21, 2020, 3:50 PM EDT

Getty Images

After a long negotiation and multiple visits, Ziggy Ansah is finally signing with the 49ers.

San Francisco coach Kyle Shanahan said today that the 49ers and Ansah have agreed to terms, and he’ll officially sign once he passes through the league’s COVID-19 testing protocols.

Although the 49ers and Ansah had been talking for more than a month, the team had more of a sense of urgency about signing the veteran defensive end after their top two players at the position, Nick Bosa and Dee Ford, both suffered injuries. Bosa is expected to miss the rest of the season with a torn ACL suffered on Sunday, and Ford was already dealing with a neck injury.

The No. 5 overall pick in the 2013 NFL draft, Ansah had a couple of very good years in Detroit, recording 14.5 sacks in 2015 and 12 sacks in 2017. But he has struggled with injuries and been ineffective when he did play the last couple of years. The 49ers hope he can show he has something left and can contribute to a defense that was one of the best in the NFL last year, but is operating at less than 100 percent this year.

Comment

• N’Keal Harry: Quandre Diggs reached out, helmet-to-helmet hit was unintentional

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 23, 2020, 6:37 AM EDT

Getty Images

Seahawks safety Quandre Diggs was ejected for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Patriots wide receiver N'Keal Harry on Sunday, but there’s no personal animosity between the two players.

Harry said Diggs contacted him to say he wasn’t trying to target his head, and Harry had no hard feelings.

“He made it clear he was not trying to hurt me,” Harry said, via NBC Sports Northwest. “It was not intentional. When it happened, I did not think it was intentional. I know out on the field stuff happens super, super quickly. I never felt like it was intentional. It was just one of those football plays. I had already kind of figured he wasn’t trying to do that. Him reaching out definitely meant a lot in the same regard.”

Diggs wrote on Twitter that he never intends to hurt anyone. Diggs is expected to be fined but not suspended for the hit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                            49ers sign Ziggy Ansah

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 21, 2020, 3:50 PM EDT

Getty Images

After a long negotiation and multiple visits, Ziggy Ansah is finally signing with the 49ers.

San Francisco coach Kyle Shanahan said today that the 49ers and Ansah have agreed to terms, and he’ll officially sign once he passes through the league’s COVID-19 testing protocols.

Although the 49ers and Ansah had been talking for more than a month, the team had more of a sense of urgency about signing the veteran defensive end after their top two players at the position, Nick Bosa and Dee Ford, both suffered injuries. Bosa is expected to miss the rest of the season with a torn ACL suffered on Sunday, and Ford was already dealing with a neck injury.

The No. 5 overall pick in the 2013 NFL draft, Ansah had a couple of very good years in Detroit, recording 14.5 sacks in 2015 and 12 sacks in 2017. But he has struggled with injuries and been ineffective when he did play the last couple of years. The 49ers hope he can show he has something left and can contribute to a defense that was one of the best in the NFL last year, but is operating at less than 100 percent this year.
                            Sorry, just couldn't resist ...

Ansahs deal with SF will reduce his Social Security direct deposit benefits by 100%.

*I still believe he's lying about his real age. By a lot.
                            19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Drew Lock will remain on active roster

Posted by Charean Williams on September 23, 2020, 3:25 PM EDT

Getty Images

Drew Lock is not going to play Sunday and likely won’t return to the field for multiple games. How many remains to be seen.

The Broncos discussed putting their starting quarterback on injured reserve, coach Vic Fangio said, but decided to give Lock a chance to return sooner than the three games he would have to miss on injured reserve.

“We considered putting him on IR,” Fangio said, “but there’s a chance he might not have to miss three games. At the same point, there’s a chance he might have to miss four or five. So rather than eliminate the possibility of him coming back if he’s healthy enough, we’ve kept him on the active roster at this point.”

Steelers linebacker Bud Dupree hit Lock on a sack in the first half Sunday, with Lock’s shoulder driven into the ground as he lost a fumble. Doctors diagnosed Lock with a rotator cuff strain.

The initial prognosis was Lock would miss at least two games before the condition of his shoulder is re-evaluated to see if he’s ready to return to action.

Jeff Driskel replaced Lock and went 18-of-34 for 256 yards with two touchdowns and an interception Sunday. Driskel will make his eighth career start. He is 1-7, including 0-3 last year in Detroit.

Comment

• Damon Harrison visiting Seahawks next week

Posted by Darin Gantt on September 24, 2020, 11:04 AM EDT

Getty Images

The Seahawks are looking at a potentially big addition to their ailing defensive line.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, former Lions, Giants, and Jets defensive tackle Damon Harrison is visiting the Seahawks next week after contemplating retirement.

The man known as “Snacks” reportedly also had interest from the Bears, Packers, and Bengals.

The Seahawks could could certainly use the help, as defensive tackle Poona Ford is their only healthy starter on the defensive line at the moment.

Defensive tackle Jarran Reed popped up on the injury report with a back problem, and defensive end Benson Mayowa has a groin injury. They also lost pass-rusher Bruce Irvin to a season-ending ACL tear, and defensive end Rasheem Green remains out with a pinched nerve in his neck.

Defensive end L.J. Collier, was listed with a new wrist injury, though he was a full participant in practice yesterday.

The 31-year-old Harrison was released by the Lions in February, and would offer some immediate run-stopping help.

Comment

Working...
                                X