X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvin Jones wants to sign where he can both get a ring and get paid

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 19, 2021, 6:43 AM EST

Getty Images

Lions wide receiver Marvin Jones is about to become a free agent, and he’s hoping for two things: To sign with a contender and to get paid what he’s worth.

Jones said on SiriusXM NFL Radio that a ring is a high priority.

“At this point in my career, that’s what I want,” Jones said of winning a Super Bowl, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press.

However, Jones clarified that he’s not just going to take a bargain-basement discount contract because a good team offers it to him.

“That is what I want, but at the same time, it’s not going to be — I’m not going to just straight sacrifice and not get what I’m worth just because I’ve put in my work to get where I’m at and it happened the first time and I did it, and I think I outplayed it the second time,” Jones said.

Jones was born and raised in Southern California and has said many times that he loves playing with Matthew Stafford. The Rams would be a logical choice for Jones for those reasons, and because they’re contenders in 2021, but given their salary cap situation, they may not be able to pay Jones the kind of contract he thinks he’s worth.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Joe Barry: I’m proud of my scars from past coaching experiences

Posted by Myles Simmons on March 2, 2021, 2:12 PM EST

Getty Images

Packers head coach Matt LaFleur said he hired Joe Barry as defensive coordinator in large part because of his communication skills.

LaFleur and Barry worked together with the Rams in 2017, so the two men have familiarity with one another. But Barry also has been a defensive coordinator before, with poor results.

In 2007 and 2008, Barry was the DC and the Lions ranked last in yards allowed and points allowed both seasons. Then in 2015 and 2016, Washington ranked 28th in yards allowed both seasons and 17th and 19th in points allowed.

LaFleur said earlier on Tuesday that Barry learned a lot from his previous experiences. Addressing the Green Bay media for the first time on Tuesday, Barry agreed he’s grown since his last time as a coordinator.

“I’m really proud of my scars, I really am. And I think that in life, I think that you’re hardened in life by tough experiences,” Barry said. “I think the No. 1 thing, when you do experience those lows, when you do get those scars, shoot, if you learn from it, and you grow from it, and you expand, then you don’t have to wear sleeves and cover them up. You can wear them and say, yeah, that was a tough experience. That was brutal. that one hurt. But I learned from it, I got better, I grew. And I would hope to think that 36, 37-year old Joe Barry is a lot different than 50-year-old Joe Barry.”

Barry spent the last four years as the linebackers coach/assistant head coach in Los Angeles, and LaFleur’s goal has been to have Barry implement the scheme that was so successful for the Rams in 2020. L.A. ended the year first in both points allowed and yards allowed.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Kyle Van Noy “surprised and disappointed” by Dolphins release

Posted by Josh Alper on March 2, 2021, 1:51 PM EST

Getty Images

Linebacker Kyle Van Noy‘s time with the Dolphins is up.

Van Noy was informed by the team that he will be released after playing one year of the four-year contract he signed with them as a free agent last year. Van Noy released a statement saying he was not expecting the move and felt he fulfilled expectations during his one year in Miami.

“I am surprised and disappointed in their decision,” Van Noy said, via Mike Garafolo of NFL Media. “As a captain, I gave my all to the team. I fought through a painful hip injury during the season, including spending a night in the hospital after a game. I was brought there to be a leader and I know my teammates looked up to and respected me. I am looking forward to making an impact on my next team.”

Van Noy’s release will clear $9.775 million in cap space for Miami.

Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports that the Dolphins never broached reworking the contract as a way of holding onto Van Noy. They paid him $15 million for one year of work and now he’ll be able to find someone else to pay him in 2021.

Comment

• Comment

• Levine Toilolo restructures contract with Giants

Posted by Josh Alper on March 8, 2021, 1:50 PM EST

Getty Images

Tight end Levine Toilolo signed a two-year deal with the Giants last year and he’s reworked it in order to stick with the team for the 2021 season.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Toilolo has agreed to a restructured contract with the team. The details of the restructure were not part of the report, but Toilolo was set to make a base salary of $2.95 million before reworking his deal and that number will surely go down.

Toilolo had five catches for 46 yards while appearing in all 16 games last season. He previously played for the 49ers, Lions, and Falcons.

The Giants also have Evan Engram and Kaden Smith at tight end. Engram is heading into the final year of his contract.

Comment

• I love the Joe Barry news.

Comment

• Anyone want him back at RT?

Vikings release Riley Reiff

Posted by Myles Simmons on March 10, 2021, 5:13 PM EST

Getty Images

Minnesota has made a move to get under the salary cap, releasing left tackle Riley Reiff.

According to several reports, the Vikings wanted to restructure Reiff’s contract to retain him. But they were apparently unable to do so and now Reiff will hit the open market.

After telling teammates he expected to be cut just before the start of the 2020 season, Reiff restructured his deal to stay with the club. He played 15 games last season, missing the final contest due to a stint on the COVID-19 list. The Vikings re-worked Reiff’s contract so that he would earn a $1 million bonus after just missing his playing-time incentive.

Reiff was set to have a cap number of $14.95 million in 2021. Releasing him will save $11.75 million against the cap, with a dead cap charge of $3.2 million.

Reiff, 32, was Detroit’s No. 23 overall pick back in 2012.

Comment

• Washington from Washington is still hanging in...

DWAYNE WASHINGTONRB, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

Saints re-signed RB Dwayne Washington.

Washington played a total of 13 snaps on offense in 2020, so this is strictly a special teams move. The soon-to-be 27-year-old has been in New Orleans since 2018. He'd need Latavius Murray to be released to have any dynasty or redraft value.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter
                  Mar 9, 2021, 7:31 PM

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                    Washington from Washington is still hanging in...
                    He'd need Latavius Murray to be released to have any dynasty or redraft value.
                    What is "dynasty" and "redraft value"?

Comment

• Originally posted by LightninBoy View Post

What is "dynasty" and "redraft value"?
                      Fantasy football terms for when a league keeps the same owners and said owners keep some of the same players from the previous year(s).

Comment

• Andrew Whitworth: Matthew Stafford has respect across NFL

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 12, 2021, 3:02 AM EST

Getty Images

Just because Matthew Stafford hasn’t been a part of significant team success during a decade-plus spent with the Detroit Lions doesn’t mean he doesn’t have the respect of his peers across the NFL.

Veteran tackle Andrew Whitworth will be a part of the group protecting him as the Rams left tackle next fall. In an interview with Bleacher Report, Whitworth said that Stafford is appreciated across the league for the way he plays the game and for what he’s shown he can do on the field.

For all NFL guys that have been around Matt’s career and what he’s been able to do, you look at a guy that you think of as just toughness and a chip on his shoulder a little bit to how he plays and competes,” Whitworth said, via Camerson DaSilva of Yahoo Sports. “Has not had the best run with teams there in Detroit and talent around him, I would say, but a guy that there’s nobody in this league that doesn’t have a lot of respect for that dude, the way he competes, some of the throws he makes and really the style of play he plays with at the quarterback position.”

The Lions made it to the playoffs three times in Stafford’s 12 seasons as their quarterback. In those three trips to the playoffs, they bowed out in the Wild Card round each time with a loss to the Dallas Cowboys in the 2014 postseason being the closest they got to advancing. But that doesn’t all fall on Stafford as porous defenses, anemic rushing attacks and lacking weapons in the passing game have all played a part at one time or another.

The Rams team he’s joining seems to be the most talented roster he’s even been a part of with a stout defense, solid receivers and a blossoming running back in Cam Akers. The trade that sent Stafford to Los Angeles in exchange for Jared Goff and swaps of draft picks will become official with the start of the new league year next week.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                            Andrew Whitworth: Matthew Stafford has respect across NFL

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 12, 2021, 3:02 AM EST

Getty Images

Just because Matthew Stafford hasn’t been a part of significant team success during a decade-plus spent with the Detroit Lions doesn’t mean he doesn’t have the respect of his peers across the NFL.

Veteran tackle Andrew Whitworth will be a part of the group protecting him as the Rams left tackle next fall. In an interview with Bleacher Report, Whitworth said that Stafford is appreciated across the league for the way he plays the game and for what he’s shown he can do on the field.

For all NFL guys that have been around Matt’s career and what he’s been able to do, you look at a guy that you think of as just toughness and a chip on his shoulder a little bit to how he plays and competes,” Whitworth said, via Camerson DaSilva of Yahoo Sports. “Has not had the best run with teams there in Detroit and talent around him, I would say, but a guy that there’s nobody in this league that doesn’t have a lot of respect for that dude, the way he competes, some of the throws he makes and really the style of play he plays with at the quarterback position.”

The Lions made it to the playoffs three times in Stafford’s 12 seasons as their quarterback. In those three trips to the playoffs, they bowed out in the Wild Card round each time with a loss to the Dallas Cowboys in the 2014 postseason being the closest they got to advancing. But that doesn’t all fall on Stafford as porous defenses, anemic rushing attacks and lacking weapons in the passing game have all played a part at one time or another.

The Rams team he’s joining seems to be the most talented roster he’s even been a part of with a stout defense, solid receivers and a blossoming running back in Cam Akers. The trade that sent Stafford to Los Angeles in exchange for Jared Goff and swaps of draft picks will become official with the start of the new league year next week.
                            Oh fuck that guy, he didn't even sign Harry Boyle's kid's Slurpee during his seperated shoulder game.

He should have time-warped Barry Sanders into the 20-some,things and slayed all of Mordor.

That you guys can't see it is just fukkin amazing.
                            Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Comment

• I wish we could have gotten Daniel.
                                "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                X