X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texans sign Jeff Driskel to 53-man roster

Posted by Myles Simmons on December 14, 2022, 3:27 PM EST

Getty Images

The Texans used both Davis Mills and Jeff Driskel in their Week 14 loss to the Cowboys.

They may or may not do it again against Kansas City this week. But the’ll at least have the option.

Houston announced that Driskel has been signed to the 53-man roster off the team’s practice squad. Driskel’s gameday elevations had been maxed out, as he’d previously appeared in two games earlier in the season.

Driskel finished 4-of-6 passing fof 38 yards with a TD. He also took seven carries for 36 yards. But he failed to get in the end zone on a late fourth-and-goal, which allowed the Cowboys their opportunity to go down the field and score a game-winning touchdown.

Driskel has appeared in 19 career games with nine starts. He’s completed 58.7 percent of his passes for 2,158 yards with 14 touchdowns and eight picks.

Houston also signed receiver D.J. Montgomery to its practice squad, brought back offensive lineman Jordan Steckler from the practice squad/injured list, and placed receiver Jalen Camp on the practice squad/injured list.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Cardinals to sign David Blough off Vikings practice squad

Posted by Josh Alper on December 14, 2022, 3:10 PM EST

Getty Images

With Kyler Murray out for the rest of the year with a torn ACL, the Cardinals had a need for a quarterback that they are filling on Wednesday.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the Cardinals will sign David Blough off of the Vikings practice squad.

Blough has not appeared in any games this season, but he played seven games for the Lions over the last three seasons and started five of them in 2019. He was 94-of-174 for 984 yards, four touchdowns, and six interceptions in those starts.

The Cardinals will start Colt McCoy against the Broncos and they also have Trace McSorley on the 53-man roster. Carson Strong is on their practice squad.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Jim Caldwell: Minority Coaching Candidates Deserve Real Opportunities

Comment

• Always a touchy subject and I may be wrong but it seems to me that minority coaches do get opportunities. There are a few guys I agree with him are probably great HC candidates, but you could point to a bunch of white guys who are as well. Does Teryl Austin deserve a HC job over anyone else today? I don't know. Is his race the reason why he isn't? I don't know that either. I think there is more to the picture than simple white:minority ratio.

I don't agree with trying a force a certain number of minorities and that teams should not disqualify or qualify someone based on race.

Kingsbury is the guy I hear most often and people wonder how exactly he landed the job he did but the rest of the HC staff I feel earned their jobs.

Comment

• Most owners are old fucks who were around when it was common for restaurants to hang signs saying that a certain race of human beings was not allowed to enter. When civil rights laws were passed, the signs slowly started coming down, but there wasn't a magic switch in everyone's brains that made them no longer racist.

In today's world, I think elite billionaires are people who've adapted to modern times. I don't think they're gonna hire a less-qualified guy based on race, but it's fairly likely that if two candidates are basically equal then they'd pick the guy with the skin color they prefer. I'm not sure if this aspect of racism will go away any time soon. Human beings are social creatures and social interaction creates in-groups and out-groups.
            "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
            Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• Marty Mornhinweg: Creative Ways to Motivate Players from Checking Out

Comment

• Originally posted by kreton View Post
                Always a touchy subject and I may be wrong but it seems to me that minority coaches do get opportunities. There are a few guys I agree with him are probably great HC candidates, but you could point to a bunch of white guys who are as well. Does Teryl Austin deserve a HC job over anyone else today? I don't know. Is his race the reason why he isn't? I don't know that either. I think there is more to the picture than simple white:minority ratio.

I don't agree with trying a force a certain number of minorities and that teams should not disqualify or qualify someone based on race.

Kingsbury is the guy I hear most often and people wonder how exactly he landed the job he did but the rest of the HC staff I feel earned their jobs.
                Oh boy. I didn't post that article for the article. I posted it because it is from Caldwell.

As far as your views? I would say very naïve. The NFL owners and their staff tend to be a "Good old Boy" network that many minorities could not break into because a lot of jobs went to the guys they wanted to be around. So this is why they went to this system. To put minority coaches/GMs in contact with owners and decision makers so that they could see there was value there. It has nothing to do with what you're intimating. I also do not think you, or any of us, have the list of qualified coaches or what makes them qualified. As far as Austin? Who knows. From my view from my couch there are a few minority guys that are more qualified. Is he the only one you know? Why display him?

I don't particularly like the current system, but the "system" does not requires minority hires, nor states to teams to hire, minorities. They do require that a minority candidate be interviewed. Of which tends to end up being a fake interview(s) meant to clear this hurdle.

I would suggest reading up a little on the subject. Seems you have issues with other things and are just lumping this into those.

Comment

• Like he (Marty Mornhinweg) ever was 'great' at being Head Coach of the Detroit Lions in the '01 and '02 Regular Seasons (Overall record: 5-27-0).

Heck, even Matt Patricia had a better season-to-season record than this clown, and he was abysmal!!
                  "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                  My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by whatever_gong82 View Post

Like he (Marty Mornhinweg) ever was 'great' at being Head Coach of the Detroit Lions in the '01 and '02 Regular Seasons (Overall record: 5-27-0).

Heck, even Matt Patricia had a better season-to-season record than this clown, and he was abysmal!!
                    At least FMP made the right calls on the field. He'd never take the fucking wind.
                    "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                    Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• Did he include the use of motorcycles and motorcycle riding?

Comment

• Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Seahawks sign Godwin Igwebuike to the active roster, place Joey Blount on IR

Posted by Charean Williams on December 26, 2022, 8:12 PM EST

Getty Images

The Seahawks signed Godwin Igwebuike to the 53-player roster from the practice squad on Monday, the team announced.

Igwebuike was out of standard elevations from the practice squad, having played the past three games.

Igwebuike, who signed to the team’s practice squad earlier in the season, took over kick return duties three weeks ago. He has 255 yards on nine returns, including returns of 50 and 48 yards.

In a corresponding move, the Seahawks placed safety Joey Blount on injured reserve. He injured his knee in Saturday’s loss to the Chiefs.

Blount, who made the team as an undrafted rookie, became a core special teams player with eight tackles and a fumble recovery.

The Seahawks also announced they signed running back Tony Jones Jr. to the practice squad after waiving him last week.

Jones has appeared in four games for Seattle after joining the team earlier this season.

Comment

• I liked Godwin but he had a few terrible fumbles....

Comment

• Jaguars kicker Riley Patterson named special teams player of the week

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 28, 2022, 8:49 AM EST

Getty Images

Jaguars kicker Riley Patterson had the first four-field-goal game of his career on Thursday night, and he’s been honored for it.

Patterson went 4-for-5 on field goals against the Jets and was named AFC special teams player of the week as a result.

The biggest reason for the Jaguars’ improvement this season has been the upgrade at head coach, from Urban Meyer to Doug Pederson. But another reason is that the special teams have improved, partially thanks to Patterson. He’s been only so-so on field goals and kickoffs this year, but the Jaguars were a disaster on field goals and kickoffs last year, so even a so-so kicker has been a major improvement.

With the Jaguars playing for the AFC South title in Week 18 and then perhaps playing in the postseason, Patterson may get some big opportunities to make big kicks on a big stage.

Comment

• Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

Working...
                                X