Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point will all you assholes just believe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 million if he leaves, 26 million if he's franchised. 16 million is the difference. He's worth 16 million for one year.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
      10 million if he leaves, 26 million if he's franchised. 16 million is the difference. He's worth 16 million for one year.
      That's a good point. I completely forgot about the dead space Suh will cost regardless of whether he stays or goes.

Yeah, I can definitely see the Lions pulling the trigger on what effectively would be $16 million.

Comment

• You are probably right even though I do not want to admit it.
        I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• What's the record for a guy coming off the franchise tag and resigning (2016 thinking) ? I get the impression it's like a big FU by the organization, and he's going to be leaving the following year.
          The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• Originally posted by unknown lions fan View Post
            What's the record for a guy coming off the franchise tag and resigning (2016 thinking) ? I get the impression it's like a big FU by the organization, and he's going to be leaving the following year.
            In most cases, once a franchise tag is applied, a long term contract follows. It's actually pretty rare for someone hit with a franchise tag to play it out.

Comment

• The key here is his new Agent.

Yes they can franchise him then to keep him, they have to keep franchising him.

Money, money, money, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                In most cases, once a franchise tag is applied, a long term contract follows. It's actually pretty rare for someone hit with a franchise tag to play it out.
                OK, now I remember that. But in the Lions case, they've got two massive contracts in Stafford and Johnson, it seems that it would be unlikely they can (or should) put together another top-of-the-league contract with Suh. That's toploading your team cap pretty heavily.

Also, it just seems that franchised players are unhappy players. Am I wrong?
                The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• The franchise tag would probably be a one time thing. A 2016 tag would be 37 million.

But chemiclord is correct, the tag generally brings a long term deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                    The franchise tag would probably be a one time thing. A 2016 tag would be 37 million.

But chemiclord is correct, the tag generally brings a long term deal.
                    Ya but, the new Drew Rosenhause is his Agent and don't think for a second that franchising him will result in what generally happened before.

Comment

• I think you worry about it too much.

Comment

• CG would agree with you on that but, maybe it is because I have to run a business instead of getting paid to work for one.

Comment

• Yeah that must be it.

Comment

• Suh will be in Detroit next year.

And... Money, blah blah blah, money
                            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Somebody forgot to tell Suh he was supposed to shut it down, he's accomplished enough in this contract year.

Comment

• Originally posted by unknown lions fan View Post
                                OK, now I remember that. But in the Lions case, they've got two massive contracts in Stafford and Johnson, it seems that it would be unlikely they can (or should) put together another top-of-the-league contract with Suh. That's toploading your team cap pretty heavily.

Also, it just seems that franchised players are unhappy players. Am I wrong?
                                Eh, not necessarily. I would suggest that the major reason for the franchise tag is due to an elite player and there not being a particularly good agreement of market value, and the franchise tag being applied as sort of a stay in order to get those negotiations churning more seriously.

In this case, I really think it's a case of that market value not really being established until the season had started (Watt and McCoy didn't sign extensions until midway through the season), and neither Suh or the Lions wanting to muck around with contract talk until after the season was over.

I honestly think Suh wants the Lions to prove they are turning the corner and are going to remain an elite team rather than a flash in the pan. He's going to be paid. He knows he's going to be paid. But I don't think he wants a Barry Sanders arc where he gets totally demoralized because the Lions can't build a contender.

He wants to pick his spot, but I don't think Detroit is out of the question.

Comment

Working...
                                X