Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
    Doesn't change the fact that i'd still like to punch him in the face for it. That pick really f'ed SVG start to his Piston career.
    But the 2 guys picked in the 8th and 9th spots in this years draft are really struggling...im not sure they would have helped much at all.......Now the horrible free agent signings and trades, that is another story.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
      I still want to strangle Gores for handcuffing Joey D trading Gordon and that first rounder
      He's really making it harder and harder to like him...The Palace was named by the fans and Pine Knob took on naming rights in order for the Palace to keep it's name...Davidson continues to spin in his grave.

Gores with yet another DICK move:

Palace considers naming-rights deal following upgrades
      By Carol Cain

The Name Game is on ? Motor City style!

As we head into 2015, some executives in this sports-crazy town will be focusing on two questions ? what's in a name, and, what's it worth?

Count Dennis Mannion, president of the Palace Sports & Entertainment where the NBA Detroit Pistons play and others events also held, among those pondering the questions.

After spending more than $40 million in upgrades at the Palace, which includes a new scoreboard and renovations of suites, the 26-year-old facility is now in search of its first naming-rights sponsor.

It's a deal that would likely reap millions.

"There's no timetable," said Mannion, who is working with Premier Partnerships of Santa Monica, Calif., to help in its quest.

dfp cain 0104 (4).JPGBuy Photo
      The Palace of Auburn Hills(Photo: Detroit Free Press file photo)
      "The timing is great due to all the renovations, strong concert business and young team on the rise. It's an iconic building with both a great reputation and, now, cutting-edge amenities," he said.

Since Flint native Tom Gores, who owns Platinum Equity, purchased the Detroit Pistons franchise and the Palace from the late William Davidson's family in 2011, sports-marketing enthusiasts assumed they would look for a company to puts its name on the arena.

The Palace is one of two NBA arenas that currently does not have a naming-rights deal. Madison Square Garden is the other.

Comerica paid $66 million over 30 years in 2000 for the right to put its name on the place where the Detroit Tigers play, and Ford paid $40 million over 20 years in 2002 to have its moniker adorn the field where the Detroit Lions play.

The late William Clay Ford of the auto family purchased the Lions in 1963. His widow, Martha Ford, now owns the team. Their son, Bill Ford, serves as vice chairman of the NFL team.

Gores and the Palace could face some competition in the naming-rights marketplace from the Ilitch family, who own the Detroit Red Wings and Tigers. A new $450-million hockey arena is being built in downtown Detroit and set to open in 2017.

FREEP
      Tom Walsh: Arena plan builds sense of hope for Detroit
      Though it's early, sports-marketing experts said they expect Ilitch Holdings to go looking for a naming-rights sponsor.

One company with recent marketing history with the hockey team is Amway, the Ada-based health and beauty aids company owned by the DeVos and Van Andel families.

Amway had a marketing deal a few years ago with the Red Wings, which found its logo embedded in the ice at Joe Louis Arena and other places. The contract ended two years ago.

Amway has used sports to help market its products. It announced a $40-million deal in 2009 over 10 years to have its name on the arena where the NBA Orlando Magic play.

Like the Ford deal, it's all in the family of sorts as Rich DeVos, patriarch who cofounded Amway with the late Jay Van Andel, also owns the NBA Magic franchise with his family.

Might they consider putting their moniker on Detroit's new hockey arena?

"We have no plans to partner in this way, but are pleased to see the positive action taking place in Detroit ? a benefit to all Michiganders," said Amway spokesman Nick Wasmiller.

And regardless of how the Detroit Lions end their season, the fact they reached the playoffs has spurred cash registers to ring as fans can't seem to get enough of the team's merchandise.

The Lions are among the top half of teams when it comes to sales of their team merchandise ? at least according to NFL 2013 statistics ? the latest available.

Contact Carol Cain: 313-222-6732 or clcain@cbs.com. She is senior producer/host of "Michigan Matters" airing 11:30 a.m. Sundays on CBS 62. See L. Brooks Patterson, Kelly Rossman-McKinney and Chris Holman on today's show
      "I eat a lot of corn, so it's actually fairly easy for me to find kernels in my shits."-fontes91

Comment

• Since being traded to the Pistons I've hated Jennings but he's been on a tear. I hope I was wrong and he continues
        Last edited by jaadam4; January 5, 2015, 08:31 AM.
        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Ditto.

Comment

• He has definitely been a different player since Smith is gone...It also seems like he is getting the green light to shoot more...Maybe SVG isnt trying to mold him into a pass first PG and jsut letting him play his game?

Comment

• Originally posted by D_boy View Post
              Josh smith is trash though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I repeat

Josh smith is trash

Pistons are looking great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• F*** Josh Smith
                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Let's be honest, this team is going to make the playoffs :-o

Comment

• the way they're playing, they could absolutely make it.

It isn't just that they're winning, it's that they are destroying teams. They clearly have a system that works for them and even if they drop a few here or there, they are going to win so many games against weak east teams that the playoffs is very realistic.

The teams currently between Detroit and the #8 are Miami, Indiana, Boston, Orlando and Charlotte. They play those 4 teams a combined 14 times between now and april. That's a lot of time to make up ground.
                    Last edited by Kstat; January 6, 2015, 01:19 AM.

Comment

• Rockets blow a lead late in loss to Bulls. Smith leads them with 21 pts but the Rockets were also -19 with him on the floor, easily the worst on the team. It's (the effect Smith had on the Pistons and now seems to be having on the Rockets) been one of the strangest things I have ever seen in the NBA, and I have been watching since Lew Alcindor was teaming with the Big O and Dandridge in Milwaukee and Bing and Lanier were leading the Pistons.

Comment

• You can't out hustle teams to victory for very long. At some point you have to have something other than some good role players. As soon as the adversity hits after this fun little honeymoon, and they lose, they will have one righteous hangover where reality hits them hard bro.
                        The Lions went 11-5 in 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                          You can't out hustle teams to victory for very long. At some point you have to have something other than some good role players. As soon as the adversity hits after this fun little honeymoon, and they lose, they will have one righteous hangover where reality hits them hard bro.
                          If you think they're winning by out-hustling teams, you haven't been paying attention, bro. I can only assume you haven't watched a single second because that is just an ignorant assessment.

They have 53 more games left. Yeah, I'm pretty sure they are going to eventually lose some games.

That does not change the fact they look a hell of a lot better than the teams immediately in front of them.

The Hawks are arguably the best team in the NBA right now after the Warriors. Remind me who the "superstars" on that team are?
                          Last edited by Kstat; January 6, 2015, 01:26 AM.

Comment

• Houston lost again? What a surprise!?!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kstat View Post
                              If you think they're winning by out-hustling teams, you haven't been paying attendion, bro.
                              They are in a Loyola Marymount in 1990 kind of zone. You only get that in that zone when your popular best player dies midseason or if you waive Josh Smith. They are absolutely out working other teams right now. Not sustainable.

It's a blitz. It ends soon.
                              The Lions went 11-5 in 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                                They are in a Loyola Marymount in 1990 kind of zone. You only get that in that zone when your popular best player dies midseason or if you waive Josh Smith. They are absolutely out working other teams right now. Not sustainable.
                                LOL first they were "hustling" and now they're just "in a shooting zone"?

You going to make up your mind about which excuse you want to use?

They're getting good, rhythm shots for once. They're playing team basketball. SVG has won a lot of games playing this exact same style. It's very sustainable.

Without Smith there are no more ball-stoppers between the point guards and the rest of the team. Monroe and Drummond inside, everyone else outside, very simple, sustainable basketball.
                                Last edited by Kstat; January 6, 2015, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X