No announcement yet.

Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They would have won with Carlisle, Brown was overrated. He was the ultimate take a crap team and get them to playoff coach that wore out his welcome. That's kind of what the Pistons need right now.

Comment

• Carlisle was definitely on his way up but theres no chance that 04 team gets by Indy without LB. Brown was a great coach that year. IMO the change in scenery made Carlisle great but Brown was the real deal.

I was lucky enough to work with Chauncey Billups cousin in Denver. It was before social media and all the instant rumors and news mill. I got all the dirt. They hated LB with a passion but they also respected what he brought to the team. They’d play the best ball they could to spite him.

Besides being a prick they severely disliked how LB would be a different person around the media which in hindsight was prob the right decision. CB used to say that during practice LB would have Darko doing jack shit but once the media would come around he’d treat him like his favorite son and do extra drills with him.

They said he was all a show with the media. It’s too bad for the Stones that Carlisle turned out as good as he did in the long run.
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Yeah we're going to disagree on that, Brown was a glory boy always looking for an exit. Overrated as a coach in my view. He always knew where the camera was and abandoned the team in a middle of a playoff run. He deserves nothing but scorn and probably should have his ring confiscated. The Indiana series was a rock fight series and the Pistons were the better team, at no point did I think his coaching was anything special in that series.

Comment

• The Carlisle firing is still mysterious, he did or said something that Davidson didn't like and was fired because of it.

Comment

• If the players don’t think the coach is a right fit they can also have a play in a firing.

Comment

• While that may be true, it was reported specifically during the ongoing playoffs that Carlisle would be fired and it's always been attributed to something that Davidson didn't like off the court.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

To expand on that, coaching matters more in the NBA than many other leagues for the same kind of reason that one exceptionally talented player has; because there are significantly fewer moving parts on the court and on the bench, as a result each individual contribution matters more. That said, I think it's still true that good coaching doesn't win games more than bad coaching can lose them. Good coaching decisions still don't matter if the players don't have the talent to execute, but bad coaching decisions still can fuck over a team even with a loaded roster.
                The late Flip Saunders was Prime Exhibit A on that category.

He couldn't make adjustments in the Playoffs to save his Coaching life, and was always exposed in them.

I thought we were the better team in '05-'06, but Pat Riley was way better than Saunders and took him to the woodshed in the '06 NBA Eastern Conference Finals.
                "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                My friend Ken L

Comment

• I thought Flip always got a bad rap. I'm not sure the Pistons were better that year. The year before the Pistons barely squeaked by the Heat in the ECF and Chauncey was coaching that team, Brown had already checked out.

The 2005-2006 team had a prime Wade (2nd team all NBA) and Shaq (1st team All NBA). Maybe Riley out coached him, I don't remember that specifically but when you have two all NBA players, it's hard to say they weren't at least level with the Pistons in talent.

Comment

• Miami just did not look like they had their legs tonight.

Comment

• Denver looks really good.
                      GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                        I thought Flip always got a bad rap. I'm not sure the Pistons were better that year. The year before the Pistons barely squeaked by the Heat in the ECF and Chauncey was coaching that team, Brown had already checked out.

The 2005-2006 team had a prime Wade (2nd team all NBA) and Shaq (1st team All NBA). Maybe Riley out coached him, I don't remember that specifically but when you have two all NBA players, it's hard to say they weren't at least level with the Pistons in talent.
                        Probably so. I'm just still mad at the way that the Going to Work team slowly lost steam and then became the mess that we've seen on (and off) the court the last 15 seasons.

But honestly, if I'm a NBA Owner, I'd rather have Pat Riley, Gregg Popovich, or the late Red Auerbach as my Head Coach/GM. They could put teams together that knew how to win.

I wasn't alive (or old enough) to watch Auerbach, but I was around when he built the Larry Bird era Celtics. Man, could he build a hoops team.

I almost wished that I was old enough to see the Bill Russell Celtics back in the day. From watching clips on YouTube, they were a force to be reckoned with.
                        "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                        My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                          Miami just did not look like they had their legs tonight.
                          I think it's a bad matchup for them. I agree with the legs, it might explain the bad shooting. I kind of think they have some positives to take though. They are good enough defensively that it disrupts the Denver offense as much as you can. Miami plays hard and disciplined and that helps even if the matchup is terrible for them.

Comment

• Joker had an average game and he had a triple double. Adebayo had a good game and he should have a decent series, if they are to make this a competitive series he has to continue that.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post

I think it's a bad matchup for them. I agree with the legs, it might explain the bad shooting. I kind of think they have some positives to take though. They are good enough defensively that it disrupts the Denver offense as much as you can. Miami plays hard and disciplined and that helps even if the matchup is terrible for them.
                              Sure, Denver certainly is not a good matchup for them, but the Heat had plenty enough open looks that they could have stolen Game 1 had they been hitting them, and it's not hard to look at how sluggish the Heat looked for long stretches in Game 1 and think that the short rest and having to quickly jump up to high altitudes was a factor. That's not a fun convergence, even for highly trained professional athletes.

Comment

• I hate the Av’s and Donkeys fanbase. I’ve been in so many altercations at the Pepsi center from when the Wings would come to town. They’re a miserable bunch of fucks

but even with that said, I don’t mind the Nuggets
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X