No announcement yet.

osu 63, Michigan 39

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M needs to stop the stop Dobbins, Weber and force Haskins to beat them through the air, which he's capable of.

Comment

Have to make them one dimensional, which I think we can, and get punishing pass rush, which is highly dependent on Winovich's ability to play.

On offense, need to consistently run and convert third downs. Don't leave points on the table. Feel good about the first two and less good about the last one.

Comment

I'm not sure about that. Ramsey, uncharacteristically dropped some sweet long balls right into his receiver's bread basket. This was a well known limitation to his game from the start - lacks a great arm is a statement that appears all over the place from recruiting profiles to his current level of play until yesterday where Debord dialed those plays up like I predicted he would and he got done what he was asked to do.

Originally posted by iam416 View Post
        Haskins can throw crossing routes. He led OSU on 4 drives last year against M and scored 3 times and missed a FG on the other.
        I was disappointed in what Brown continued to do v. Debord who kept dialing up these slants because Brown's mantra of solving problems with aggressiveness was creating problems. To wit: the LBs were over-playing the run or were a part of Brown's (Dr. Blitz) packages, coached to do so, and the consequences be damned. I think he backed off a bit in the 2nd half but I'll have to wait for the UFR to see if that is actually so.

I thought Debord's slants were designed to fit the space that relatively deep out routes were clearing out the Ss in the middle zone. My perception is that ufm prefers slants from his slots or WRs closer to the LOS, e.g., tunnel screens. IOW, haskin's throws on these slants are a beat quicker than Ramsey's. They are designed to get a guy like Campbell the ball on his break where he routinely beats LB coverage. That was the thing in 2017 when haskins came in. M's starting LBs last year and how Brown deployed them weren't good at beating that kind of play.

Yes, Ramsey presents a run threat similar to McSorely, when he was healthy. I still thought, compared to PSU, Brown did a shitty job of accounting for this. Ramsey's runs in the middle were either planned for and run out of the same formations and routes that led to wide open slants or caught M in blitz packages that got picked up leaving space for him to scramble into vacated LB areas. He was really good at reading the impending blitz and who was coming and from where. I mentioned in another post that M's O might have been predictable resulting in easy choices for LBs to fill gaps correctly. The same might be said for the D. Tendencies may have made it easy for Ramsey and his OL to pick spots to run to.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Lead official in the 2016 Ohio State vs M game was Daniel Capron. I thought someone on his crew lives in Columbus or something.

Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

On your second point ....... you're saying talent is sandbagging? He's not. I've picked up on his detailed criticisms and seen them all myself.

LB play isn't good. Like talent and in the case of Don Brown as a point of comparison, I'm not sure if it's Brown's or schiano's schemes and what they coach the players to do when we see a unit give up a big play. It's probably a bit of both and not worth pinning down at our level. But, It's frustrating. I trust talent's take on schiano though. Something was clearly not working in the 1st half at Maryland and it took a long time to clean it up. schiano has had more than one game like that. I have also seen bad S and CB play both as a matter of coaching and execution that does not seem to improve or get corrected. The parallel for me is that we never saw M's OL improve last season. It has improved dramatically in 2018 with the exit of Drevno and Frey and the entry of Warriner. That is not a coincidence. Both strange and talent have called for shciano's departure. We should trust them on this .....osu's defense is suspect and can be exploited in a way that probably has not been present for along time.

Watching the Ohio St vs Maryland game, it was very clear how terrible Ohio St's rush defense is. Particularly, when MD rushed to the left, they picked up huge chunks on at least a dozen carries. Now, M SHOULD take advantage of this running to the left with Higdon behind Runyan, Bredeson, and Ruiz.

We'll see if Schiano can do anything to fix that weakness in The Game. I'm expecting the worse because of M losing 13 of 14 in this series.
          Last edited by Cody_Russell; November 18, 2018, 06:03 PM. Reason: Spell Check
          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Comment

Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

How many mortgages can you take out?

Comment

HARBAUGH!!! 38 MEYER!!! 23
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

"I'll be back" doesn't say anything about the timing of his return. I also think that he's saying exactly what he is told to say about his condition. It's to Harbaugh's advantage and completely consistent with how he plays injuries to not say or have Winovich say if he will play or not play v. osu.

I'm skeptical he will be ready. I'll be elated if he lines up at his usual spot on the first defensive series.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

I'll add this. You can sports tape low degree AC separations/sprains. It limits ROM but it still permits limited use of the arm, in this case the left. He could play under these circumstances. Think of Gary's situation. I know he tried to go, he was probably taped and it hurt his performance.

We'll see.

Comment

If the game had been played in Ann Arbor about 3 weeks ago, I'd say Michigan wins. However, I see the Michigan offense struggle in the red zone vs Indiana and I can't believe they'll be able to get ahead of osu at home. Haskins has put up good numbers the last 2 weeks, and the M defense is susceptible to a good passing game. Lewerke was hurt. McSorley was hurt. Hornibrook chokes in big games. Like Cody said, I'll believe it when I see it. OSU 34 M 26.
                        Last edited by Rocky Bleier; November 18, 2018, 08:50 PM.
                        I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

Comment

Correct
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

I have to think that Harbaugh designed this whole season with this game in mind and that these last two weeks were just rehearsals for a full gameplan that will be revealed next Saturday. I also think there's something seriously wrong with ohio to have so much talent on the field and sidelines yet playing with desperation against Nebraska and Maryland. That was not fake exasperation from Urbz in College Park

I believe Michigan has the better team and will be better prepared on Saturday. I also believe in karma. That could be bullshit, though.

This is Michigan's best matchup since 2003 and they represent the best chance for a Big Ten rep in the CFP. There's just no room for excuses.

Comment

I have to think that Harbaugh designed this whole season with this game in mind and that these last two weeks were just rehearsals for a full gameplan that will be revealed next Saturday

That's what I thought in '16, and then we got Pepcat on fourth down.

I also think there's something seriously wrong with ohio to have so much talent on the field and sidelines yet playing with desperation against Nebraska and Maryland. That was not fake exasperation from Urbz in College Park

That very well could be. It's one thing to take a step back from the elite level they've been playing at; a different thing entirely to struggle with bad teams. Maybe the contrasting injury reactions of Bosa and Gary are indicative of something off in the mix there this year. Then again, Talent makes the compelling case that there's been a fall-off in talent in the back 7 on D. And it's a big adjustment for Meyer to go from Barrett to Haskins. Dunno. Either way, we'll get their best game and shouldn't expect anything less. And if anything is a lesson in the limited value of the belief in karma, OSU is it. But our best game should be enough to get the win.

Comment

Working...
                                X