No announcement yet.

Michigan Football, the 2020 Abbreviated COVID Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is a very good chance you guys just don't have the right coach. Bama was fading giant when they hired Saban. Clemson was nowhere when they hired that phony. USC has produced the most drafted NFL players of the programs and now they are shit. Back in the 80s and 90s, Miami, FSU and Florida were always in the top 5. Most of the time these big programs have sustained success but then fall off the map when the coach gets old or retires. Harbaugh is good coach but it doesn't seem like he is better than. Hoke at recruiting.

It isn't the power structure as much as the Harbaugh experiment not really returning much on the field, he does enough to fill the coffers.

Comment

• The right coach to rise to the elite level or the right coach for M?

Fans have different expectations for the football program than M's collective administration has. An administration that embraces amateurism and the student athlete like M's does is making a dash for the CFB finish line with "two pianos on it's back" ..... credit for that colorful description to talent.

At the same time, there are fans that are disgusted with that loser mentality and a large cohort of them that embrace it ..... and the later cohort are the ones paying for seat licenses along with their season tickets and donations. As long as the AD is in the black and the administration isn't having to deal with debacles caused by NCAA rules violations or Title IX non-compliance issues, everyone is happy and there is no pressure for championships coming from outside the cocoon Jim Harbaugh has created around his football program.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I don't think you have to make any comparison to know that concentration of talent at the top is something they might do something about, because there's a historical precedent for it. And because you know TV ratings go down when it's the same teams year after year. I wonder if this is in part what Harbaugh had in mind when he said every kid should get one free transfer. Michigan would very likely be amongst a handful of programs that would benefit the most from playing-time transfers from the top schools. All that said, Harbaugh doesn't have to be the better coach or even a coach on par for the reasonable expectation to be a win or two per decade. It's very difficult to argue or even think that inferior coaching or talent gaps have and will continue to explain every single rivalry game Michigan plays. It's not always those things.

Comment

• And because you know TV ratings go down when it's the same teams year after year.
          Is that true for CFB? Or do you just "know" it? I mean, you could make case for it based solely on last year's blowout, but the blowout probably had way more to do with it.

In CFB, huge fanbases and about 8-10 markets really drive ratings. This may come as a shock to you, but Birmingham and Columbus are always the two highest markets for almost ANY game. And when their respective teams are playing, it's through the roof. Ohio State-M is always going to be highly rated. Alabama-Auburn, FFS, is always going to be highly rated.

I don't disagree that there's some viewer fatigue here and there, but CFB fans, by and large, watch CFB. I even watched some of the CFP final last year because I'm a CFB fans. I don't think CFB relies on drawing in stray viewers from the East Coast (Fuck Delaney, on that note).

Fans have different expectations for the football program than M's collective administration has.
          However, just to be clear, the M administration paid HARBAUGH!!!! roughly the same as UFM last year and more than every coach in the country save 2 this year. And considerably more than any coach in the country who has never won shit. And they pay their assistants a fuckton, too. So, let's be clear -- this isn't some sort of half-assed endeavor. I dunno. Maybe the M administration is frivolous and the school wealthy enough that they don't care much if there's a return on that investment.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• The 2012 Bama-LSU rematch was the least-viewed game in BCS history. Two years later there was a new system.

Comment

• So, let's be clear -- this isn't some sort of half-assed endeavor. I dunno. Maybe the M administration is frivolous and the school wealthy enough that they don't care much if there's a return on that investment.

It's pretty easy to see that the M administration cares very much about ROI, but doesn't use the term as a metaphor. The administration knows you have to spend money to make money, and that's what they care about. They also live in fear of a not-on-my-watch incident that would hurt the culture of the institution, which is why winning is, at best, a third priority. First comes profit and second comes dignity.

Comment

• The 2012 Bama-LSU rematch was the least-viewed game in BCS history. Two years later there was a new system.
                (1). It wasn't. https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/col...f-ratings-bcs/

(2). That game was also deathly boring.

Whatever.

Comment

• That link shows the ratings for all of the BCS games, and also that I'm correct. It also is another arrow pointing at the long-term trend I'm talking about, in which reform is driven by ratings. Sub-15 rating in two of the three years before they made the BCS game its own game.

Comment

• That link shows the ratings for all of the BCS games
                    Correct.

It also is another arrow pointing at the long-term trend I'm talking about, in which reform is driven by ratings. Sub-15 rating in two of the three years before they made the BCS game its own game
                    You'll see what you see. From 2004 to 2008, 3 of the 5 games were sub-15. The statement, of course, was "because you know TV ratings go down when it's the same teams year after year." Interestingly, the Ohio State-Wisconsin B10 CG was the most watch B10 title game since 2013. The THIRD time OSU and Wisky have played in the last 6 years and the 3rd straight time OSU has played in it. It was up over 60% from last year's "novel" B10 CG against nFw. Because no one cares about nFw.

The 2012 Bama-LSU rematch was the least-viewed game in BCS history.
                    Still incorrect.

I could be way off, but I think LSU-Clemson is going to be the 2nd highest rated CFP game of all-time. People will watch that because there are two really good teams playing, even though they have to watch Clemson for the 4th time in 5 years. Ohio State-LSU would be even higher because everyone wants to watch Ohio State.

Comment

• The BCS games are tagged "BCSNC". Anyone can look at your link and see for themselves that what I said is right.

Comment

• The 2012 Bama-LSU rematch was the least-viewed game in BCS history.
                        If semantics is the name of the game -- as it is when you've lost -- then this is waaaay wrong as the BCS started in the 1998 season and included at least 4 BCS games every year. I mean, waaaaaaaaaaaay wrong.

So, again, Incorrect.

And, of course, it's not even the least-viewed game designated as the BCS National Championship Game. Obviously. Whatever the national title game was was so-designated during the BCS Era. Starting 2007 it had it's own location independent of the bowls. But, you knew that.

In any event, it's hilarious to see you hoisted on your own petard with idiotic semantics.
                        Last edited by iam416; December 19, 2019, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• I don't think ratings directly actually drive how the NCAA does business in regards to a playoff system. It is a big cumbersome entity that is not easily moved, it certainly isn't steered by ratings for one title game. Its kind of like the UN where everyone bitches about it like it is some entity detached from everything.

I'm not sure how any of this has to do with Harbaugh's performance on the recruiting trail.

Comment

• No, I think it's the perception of ratings, really, on combination.

Comment

• Stanford QB K.J. Costello has entered the transfer protocol.....oh boy ????

Comment

• it's not even the least-viewed game designated as the BCS National Championship Game

Ratings by year for the BCS NC, from 2006-2007, according to your link: 17.4, 14,4, 15.8, 17.2, 15.3, 14, 15.1, 14.8. The game in question is in bold, so that's that.

You can backtrack if you wish, but in case not, most of the rest of us are probably ready to revisit last week's discussion about whether Buckeyes are actually capable of counting past ten.

Comment

Working...
                                X