No announcement yet.

Michigan Football, the 2020 Abbreviated COVID Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know if I qualify as one of the masses in this forum, but I'm still waiting for someone in the "fire Harbaugh" crowd to give a solid reason for dismissing the man.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• BronxBlue at mgo does decent work in his Best and Worst columns and this one on the M/Alabama game is good. His last comment in the piece is also timely:

This was...a year. Thanks for reading and hopefully we can give it a go in 2020. I do ask that anyone who reads this take a moment and remember that being a fan is supposed to be fun. I know it's a little treacly but there's a negativity around Michigan football that's just corrosive, and while I'm all for passion at some point it is just a game and taking it too personally isn't helping anyone.

Meh: Better Than I Expected, Still Not Good I'm not going to waste a ton of time recapping this game because at this point that's not really relevant. Michigan has now played, in consecutive games, the SP+ #1 and #2 teams. Michigan is decidedly not better than either of those two teams, and billions of 1's and 0's have been used to discuss the level of acceptability that reality is. They also lost to the SP+ 8th and 12th teams and beat the 19th, 20th, and 24th.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Cesar Ruiz is going pro.

Good luck to him. He did well.

Its a blow to the OL, but somebody is going to have to step up. Those are big shoes to fill.

Comment

• To put a sugar coating on this, Ruiz was good but he wasn't the world beater in the middle for the run game most thought he would be. His last game v. Alabama was probably his best and he'll ride that to $$ in the draft. I applaud him for that.

Ed Warinner is going to have his work cut out for him in 2020. He's absolutely the best guy to do that.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Same person on 247 that said Ruiz has had his foot out of the door this season says Nico wants to return but could be influenced by a really high draft grade.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
              I don't know if I qualify as one of the masses in this forum, but I'm still waiting for someone in the "fire Harbaugh" crowd to give a solid reason for dismissing the man.
              The man is getting paid nearly $8 million annually. In 5 years he has never beaten OSU, never won a B10 title, has a 1-11 record against ranked teams, has a 1-8 record on the road against ranked teams. It seems that you and nearly everyone else here seem to be content with that. Frankly, I'm stunned. Now I ask you, give a solid reason for keeping him.

Comment

• DPJ declares for the NFL draft. I don't blame him he doesn't need another hit to the head, makes some money and good luck

Comment

• Now I ask you, give a solid reason for keeping him.
                  Ill give him 2 more years to get us in the B10 CCG He needs a QB that is the best player on offense, has yet to have a really good one.

Comment

• The man is getting paid nearly $8 million annually. In 5 years he has never beaten OSU, never won a B10 title, has a 1-11 record against ranked teams, has a 1-8 record on the road against ranked teams. It seems that you and nearly everyone else here seem to be content with that. Frankly, I'm stunned. Now I ask you, give a solid reason for keeping him.
                    I'll take the last one first. I have several solid reasons for keeping him.

First is that he runs a tight program, that is free from NCAA problems. No recruiting investigations, no illicit money changing hands. No boosters interfering. Nothing.

Second, his team had 43 Academic All-Americans this year, one of the best in the conference. They may not beat OSU or 'top 15 teams', but they win in the classroom.

Third, he is averaging 9.5 wins per year. Brady Hoke had one (1) year where he exceeded that. Rodriguez had zero.

Fourth, and probably most important, how do you replace him without completely disrupting everything? Who is out there that can come in and GUARANTEE the Big Ten Championships, and the "Top 15 wins" that you demand? As I've stated before, who is out there, (and available for Michigan) that is BEATING OSU consistently? Who is out there (and available to Michigan) that has a winning record against Top 15 teams on the road? Start naming people. And don't even talk about opening up a vault for people like Meyer, Saban, Swinney or anyone named Stoops. Forget them. Not happening.

I'm not 'content' with the losses. Unfortunately, that's just where we are right now. I think things will eventually change, but its going to take time. We need OSU to strike out on some of their top signees, like we have in the past 15 years.

Things will change. I just don't think firing Harbaugh is the magic key.

Comment

• Not a good look from a great player who also went 0-4 vs Ohio State

https://twitter.com/michiganonbtn/st...83456052764678
                      Last edited by WingsFan; January 4, 2020, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• Long is expressing the views of many a former player. Even those who have beaten OSU.

Comment

• I think the changes in CFB over the last 10-15 years have amped expectations such that a program like M's is going to have trouble meeting them when it takes beating the collection of elites that occupy the top of the hill. Winning football games against these teams, obtaining a BT championship and entre to the CFP have been discussed, accepted or rejected ad nauseum.

It's not like JH and Warde Manuel haven't done everything possible to build a championship winning football program. Despite those efforts, fans aren't satisfied. I also think that from the outside, it's difficult if not impossible to identify reasons for or specific short comings in Jim Harbaugh's job performance as a HC that would justify cutting him loose. Sure, we can speculate but that's all it amounts to. What we have are results and they aren't great ....... as far as fan expectations go and until ticket sales and donations dry up, the litany of reasons fans gin up to fire Harbaugh don't matter. That's the reality ....... I've come to accept it. Continuing to complain about that reality is, IMO, toxic.

Comment

• Yeah, M, as a school, as indulged HARBAUGH!!! to the hilt. He's amongst the highest paid coaches in football. His coordinators are amongst the highest paid coordinators. I dunno how much his globetrotting tours costs, but it has to be another million (SHOULD be quite the recruiting tool, too). I don't know where they are on facilities. Perhaps they need an upgrade.

I dunno.

Or, as you noted, perhaps M is just a 10-3 program. I think you've made that point. It certainly rings true over the past 70 years. You could maybe point to Bo, but (a) winning the B10 was easier then than it is now for several reasons; and (b) nationally, Bo never once even played for a national title (though, I'm sure he'd maintain that their goal was to win the Rose). Bo's teams were generally better, relatively to their era, than HARBAUGH!!!'s, but not much.
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I think the thing that is most important is recruiting. There are no days off from that. Yes, your facilities have to be top notch, but the main thing is building relationships, face-to-face contact, and eating the mom's shitty lasagna in an in-home visit. You sell the school, the school's successes (people in the pros), the facilities, development, and the potential for early playing time.

Saban is gone 200 days a year with this.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Yep. It's really hard. But, that's treading back into waters rife with complete and total disagreement.
                                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Working...
                                X