No announcement yet.

Michigan Football, the 2020 Abbreviated COVID Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think if there is any season at all its going to be a lot like what Jeff describes above. The real challenge will be putting a team on the field when key players are fighting off the illness. And then when they return, they're going to need to get back in game shape, which could take another 2-3 weeks.

If there are games, I think Spath is on to something regarding the schedule. We're probably looking at a maximum of 8-10 games, with some Mid-American foes mixed in there, just because it will be easier geographically to have those games. For instance, its going to be easier for a team like Western Michigan or Central Michigan to go to East Lansing or Ann Arbor, than it is for Michigan to go to Washington, or bring in Arkansas State as scheduled. Those teams would probably prefer to stay near home as well. We may see more of visiting teams making a same-day round trip, rather than coming in the night before, and staying overnight. There are Big Ten games where that can happen. It could happen for teams that are farther apart, if they fly in the day of the game, and then fly back out afterward. Michigan vs MSU could be easily done by bussing both ways on game day.

I'm still pessimistic about a CFB season this year. I still think there's less than a 10% chance that any games at all are played. Schlissel is one of those guys who will err on the side of safety, and he won't jeopardize the team's well being for the sake of football games. I'll be surprised if there is any CFB during the school year 2020-21. Fall of 2021? Maybe.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• A rumor bouncing around regarding salvaging the football season. If I can find a link I'll put it in here. I heard it from a long-term season ticket holder:

The Big Ten in a last gasp at some sort of a season, may play a 4 game mini-season, beginning in October, with teams playing 2 road and 2 home games. They would play one game every two weeks.

The teams would play their "big" opponents and the hopes would be that Covid would have less of a chance of spreading with the every 2 weeks format. It would allow for pre game and post game testing.

Michigan would likely play:

OSU and MSU on the road
      PSU and Wisconsin at home

Again, its just a rumor from a buddy of mine who has held tickets since the 60's, so take it for what its worth...
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Solid.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Why only October? Why not a six game season beginning in September where you just play division opponents?

Comment

• Speculation but I suspect President Schlissel is driving the decision making on relaxed mitigation measures that might allow BT sports to occur "safely." Safely is a subjective term here ..... who knows what is on Schlissel's mind but he is a virologist and I would imagine he's in touch with the science here.

There are a lot of organizations that seem to believe that sometime after the end of September is going to see a degree of community spread that is regionally low enough to allow less rigorous mitigation measures on a regional basis. The hot states right now in the South and Southwest and including CA? I don't see it unless stoopid people actually start paying attention and because of that community spread declines.

So, yeah, October ..... if at all.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I like seeing the proposals shrink down, suggesting that the cancellation is most likely. Maybe if he gets a year off Harbaugh will come back with some of whatever he had before he got here. Hopefully it doesn't mean we don't get to see Franz Wagner lift off as a sophmore though.

Comment

• Putting things in perspective.

tzAOqVWlbt.jpg

College age kids and younger have about the same chance of dying from Covid-19 as getting struck by lightning. Cancelling college football, or everything else for that matter, does not protect the people who would show up at or play in the games. It protects people in nursing homes. That is the calculus at work and people need to realize it and be honest about it. These are people who, in many cases, already do not have a lot of quality years left. If you have yet to reach retirement age, then you need not worry about dying from this virus. That includes just about anybody teaching school.
                Last edited by Hannibal; July 15, 2020, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• That's a great chart, Hanni.
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                  Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• " These are people who, in many cases, already do not have a lot of quality years left. "

My uncle just died from Covid-19. He would disagree vehemently with your assessment of the quality of his life.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                      Putting things in perspective.

tzAOqVWlbt.jpg

College age kids and younger have about the same chance of dying from Covid-19 as getting struck by lightning. Cancelling college football, or everything else for that matter, does not protect the people who would show up at or play in the games. It protects people in nursing homes. That is the calculus at work and people need to realize it and be honest about it. These are people who, in many cases, already do not have a lot of quality years left. If you have yet to reach retirement age, then you need not worry about dying from this virus. That includes just about anybody teaching school.
                      There's still a lot of gray area. We know that many people have had Covid w/o showing any symptoms. So, putting deaths to the side for a moment, how many people may be carrying it and not be tested?

Also, not dying from the virus doesn't mean you're not suffering. A friend of mine in NY and her fiance' have had it for 4 months. Her days are often filled with vomiting and diarrhea. I get tired of one day like that when I have the flu. Imagine 120 days of that. She's had skin burns. She's only in her mid-40's. The 12-year old daughter of another friend of mine had to be rushed to the hospital and her heart stopped for 2 minutes. She fortunately survived but I think any reduction of risk is certainly worth considering.

There's still a lot we don't know about this disease. We've already had it far worse than any other country by taking things too lightly and/or ignoring it.

If they shut down the whole season, I won't like it. If they go about things as business as usual and the numbers escalate even more, I'll feel worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMStan White View Post
                        " These are people who, in many cases, already do not have a lot of quality years left. "

My uncle just died from Covid-19. He would disagree vehemently with your assessment of the quality of his life.
                        Sorry for your loss, Stan.

Comment

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post

Sorry for your loss, Stan.
                          Indeed. Condolences.
                          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Thank you JD and AA

Comment

• Regardless of our opinions on how dangerous a large gathering of people of any age might be, the schools are going to do what they deem best for everyone involved. I'm also guessing they've done a lot more research than any of us.

If I had to be whether we'll have a season or not, I'd bet that we probably won't. Hopefully, they're able to but I doubt it.

Comment

• It looks like, if there are any games, AND fans are allowed, tickets will be available on a per game basis, to students and season ticket holders...

Perhaps it's about time to just bag the whole season. The NCAA should just hire a bunch of top shelf video game developers and Pixar animators to create a "Virtual Season" that gets broadcast just like a real one every saturday in place of "real" games. Any tailgating will be held in people backyards and the parking lots of Buffalo Wild Wings.

Sure, that sounds ridiculous, but really, that's the best that we seem to be looking at.

Comment

Working...
                                X