No announcement yet.

Michigan Football, the 2020 Abbreviated COVID Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's going on does remind me of the first few days of this. Little by little, the scenarios of how sports might happen was chipped away until they shut it all down. When you're dealing with non-professionals, I find it hard to see a scenario where this season happens. The 4 or 6-game thing would be fun, though, and provide some players with the opportunity to improve their draft stock.

Comment

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post
      What's going on does remind me of the first few days of this. Little by little, the scenarios of how sports might happen was chipped away until they shut it all down. When you're dealing with non-professionals, I find it hard to see a scenario where this season happens. The 4 or 6-game thing would be fun, though, and provide some players with the opportunity to improve their draft stock.
      I think you might see a 4-6 game season in the spring.
      2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• That would be great.

Comment

• There isn't going to be (and shouldn't) any football imo.

25 years ago, Gary Moeller's bad night became a watershed moment for Michigan football

Read at your own risk - if you're a Gary Moeller fan, some details I didn't know before- Damn im older than he was that night...... then came LLLLoyd () to the rescue. F*k Me. Too bad.... I always like Moe. Is it safe to say his marriage problems cost him his job?

Oh well its all history and we will never look at College football (Sports) the same again in our lifetime.

Comment

• The Moeller fiasco was, indeed, a very sad moment for M football. I was a big Garry Moeller fan.

At the time, I had no clue, I just thought he was stupid to put himself in the public situation he put himself in regardless of circumstances. LC turned out to be pretty good interim and then HC through the 90s and 2003 or 4. After that, during his last few years as HC, specifically after the very close losses he suffered to osu and Texas in 2006, he checked out. Don't blame him. Those were tough. I put a ton of fault on making the guy suffer after the successes he had on Bill Martin. Lot's we don't know about the time period through 2006-9 that went on inside Schembechler Hall.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• The only thing that separated Moeller from a national championship or two was his puzzling inability to get the team up mentally for half of the team's games. When it came to recruiting, game planning, and player development, he was top notch. Probably the best play caller that we have ever had at Michigan. But his teams played with an emotional flatness that was inexplicable sometimes. He also was a big time 4th quarter choker and you could always rely on them to choke away a big win with a late turnover or a defensive breakdown.

Comment

• Ohio State has suffered through some brutal coaching transitions, too. The Year of Fickell and now the Era of Coach Ryan Day.

Not pretty.

I always wondered about Moeller -- about how good he was. His first 3 years were strong, but even in those years there were some weird losses and ties. And he had his doors blown off by the two elite teams he played.

In any event, those 3 years were arguably predicated on Bo's teams. His last two teams were not particularly inspiring -- though, of course, 1993 was injury-riddled and he lost to some good teams. And what he left Coach Carr for 1995 and 1996 wasn't particularly great, either.

Now, I wasn't paying particularly close attention to M at the time. I had bigger fish to fry as Cooper was trying to rebuild the program. But, looking back on it from an outsiders' perspective I certainly have questions about what M would have looked like under Moeller long-term. My guess is pretty much the same as it did under Carr.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Moeller wouldn't have won a NC in '97. He would have choked away wins to teams like Iowa or Wisconsin. The '97 team was up for every game. Moeller's teams never were. But he also wouldn't have gone 1-6 against Tressel.

Moeller failed at QB recruiting in his past few years. Between Todd Collins and Tom Brady he brought in a bunch of mediocre guys like Scott Dreisbach, Jay Riemersma, and Brian Griese (Preferred walk-on). QB play cost us at least three or four games in Carr's first couple of years. It was the only part of his recruiting that wasn't dominant. It was otherwise fairly Urban-like for its time. Top 5 classes every year with probably 3-4 kids a year that would be 5* guys in today's systems.

Comment

• Resourceful for sure.

Down to Iowa at half @ home

Andy Katzenmoyer had a pick six (easy) if he could have held on to that horrible screen pass late in the 4th

Drawing 15# WSU in the Rose was lucky as hell, and it was a close game

N would have destroyed M

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                      Now, I wasn't paying particularly close attention to M at the time. I had bigger fish to fry as Cooper was trying to rebuild the program. But, looking back on it from an outsiders' perspective I certainly have questions about what M would have looked like under Moeller long-term. My guess is pretty much the same as it did under Carr.
                      Michigan probably would have won at least another National Championship or two in the upcoming seasons. Carr only reluctantly took the job and wasn't likely to bolt for another job as long as Moeller was around.

As Hannibal asserts, there were a few inexplicable and inexcusable losses on Moeller's record that could be best attributed to a lack of discipline. Carr did a decent job of clearing a lot of those up. Combine that with Moeller's playcalling ability and it's likely that they don't have losses to the likes of Penn State, Notre Dame or Sparty in the latter half of the 90s.

Comment

• "At least another National Chamionship or two" seems wildly optimisitic for that program.

Comment

• Down here in the pit of despair and deaths, S. FL, the Dolphins just announced their plans for practice, pre- season games and the upcoming season. It's pro-football, different circumstances and all that but wrt how pro-clubs are dealing with the question of fans or no fans at games, we can probably draw some decent conclusions about a BT season.

The Fins aren't allowing any fans at practices or during the pre-season games. They remain circumspect about the regular season that starts in September. The official announcement was preceded by the typical safety of our fans BS and that the pro-football is still more than 2 months away before the regular season commences. Things might change. They said, "consultations with local state and federal PH officials are paramount in informing the clubs plans for the regular season," blah, blah. Oh, and no tailgating at Hard Rock Stadium!

What was good to hear was this; "If there are fans" ...... there will be social distancing in appropriate "clusters" and masks will be required except when eating or drinking. The use of the term "clusters" or sections might imply they will evaluate fan cohorts by age and risks and seat them accordingly. i.e., high risk fans won't be seated with low risk fans. I think this is entirely doable and practical. Next, touch less food, drink service and bathrooms - fans will order from apps, no lining up at toilets, bars or food centers, bathroom entry controlled, orderly food and beverage delivery.

Season ticket holders, based on tenure, will have first pick of a block of games - no idea how many games per block or if it's a season or what. Doesn't seem like individual ticket sales are planned right now. If they think they can fill the stadium to the reduced capacity they are looking at, no individual ticket sales. If it's not filled, tickets may be purchaseable individually.

I still think that at M Schissel is going to prohibit fans in the Big House if the conference decides to play a schedule that would start in September but, the way the Dolphins are looking at managing pro-football fans could influence CFBs thinking on ticket sales and distribution. Another important point that seems obvious to me: Smart, informed people are looking at large outdoor gatherings for sporting events as being entirely manageable ..... until they aren't. Of course the club owners want the income and that is more of an over-riding factor for the pros that probably isn't as great at the college level.
                          Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; July 16, 2020, 11:44 AM.
                          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Maybe so, but the task was significantly easier back then. Win every game on your schedule and your bowl game, with a decent demo reel and you're done. As great as the 1997 team was, there's just no way of knowing how things would have worked out if they had to play a Conference championship, a playoff game and THEN a Championship game.

Comment

• I think, on the whole, you're right. But, today's game does offer more redemptive opportunities. It's definitely harder to win your CCG + 2 Playoff games (as opposed to just the Rose Bowl), but you can lose a game and still be very much alive. The 2014 OSU team would have never won a MNC under the old system.

Comment

• N would have destroyed M
                                Ummmm... no.

Michigan had the best player in the country playing on both sides of the ball and special teams, and in every game that was close, he was the deciding factor.

Scott Frost throwing a pass into Michigan's D backfield with Woodson and Ray back there?

Please.

At best for Nebraska, it would have been close. If they could have established a run game, not needing Frost to pass, and dominated TOP, then it likely would have been a touchdown or less spread.

Michigan was a big play team, and had big play makers on both sides of the ball. And Woodson. And I'll argue that Griese was a better QB than Frost.

No way Nebraska would have 'destroyed' Michigan.

No.

and yes I know this is the perfect opportunity for The Wizard to chime in and roast me, but I believe what I believe.
                                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Working...
                                X