No announcement yet.

2020 Citrus Bowl Alabama v. Michigan, January 1st, 1:00 PM EST, ABC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not sure who will win the starting job at QB next year, but maybe a more traditional style QB would be more effective. I don't know.. I'm reaching for straws here.

Denard Robinson was a thrill to watch, and I really liked him as a player. But he was not a true QB. He was a WR/RB who was forced into playing QB because nobody else could do the job. He was a horrible passer, but he had the threat to run which always had to be respected on every play. Shea Patterson is no Denard Robinson. He doesn't have the speed, and he's not a whole lot better than Robinson as a passer. We've got to get back to quarterbacking with a true passer who can hit open receivers, and make defenses pay when they make coverage mistakes. That's what happens constantly to our defense. Make a mistake, give up a TD. We've got to be able to do the same thing. I don't care who becomes QB next year. It'd be fine with me if Cade McNamara wins the job next fall, as long as he's the guy that can get the job done. If McCaffery and Milton can't get it done by now, they don't deserve the starting job.

Oh well. This was actually an 8-5 team, (in the real world they lost to Army) playing an 11-2 team, so I guess hoping for a win was not realistic.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Some post game, morning after thoughts:

It was a beautiful day in Orlando, sunny, cool, no wind. We tailgated around a bunch of Alabama fans ....... good people. Same for those in the stands. The game atmosphere was great - close to sold out from appearances at kick-off, lots of late arrivers. Not a bad venue compared to bad reviews I had read about Camping World Stadium. Two of of CFB's best bands. Pregame band performance was awesome. Kind-of a corney attempt at pre-and half time entertainment beyond the bands, whose programs were shortened to accommodate the corney show - performed by about 1000 kids. Weird.

I went into this game expecting Alabama to roll Michigan behind Harris like it did the last time I traveled to Jerry's World during the RR era. His teams could not stop power in those days. M did not belong on the field. M did belong yesterday and it's easy to lose sight of that in the frustration associated with the Harbaugh era and the attendant string of losses to top 10 teams.

I looked at the stats at half time with M leading 16-14. Both by the numbers and by eyeball, M was winning the LOS on both sides of the ball and looked to be controlling the flow of the game. Harris had something like 50 yards and < 4ypc. Mac Jones had the majority of Alabama's surprisingly meager offense through passing, 58 of those yards on one play to Jeudy. Brown's defense, using a walk-on and two freshmen on the DL was remarkably stingy, got some pressure and stuffed Harris.

Still, M's offense continued to be hampered by Patterson's inconsistent play in the first half. When M's run game was getting yards and Gattis appeared to have drawn up an excellent game plan, Patterson, as he has done since he's been at Michigan, couldn't make the big plays that M needed to be up 21-14, maybe more, instead of 16-14.

While Alabama did make big plays sparingly in the first half (Jeudy), Saban unleashed both the long ball and slants and Mac Jones got hot throwing to his elite receivers that, yes talent, M couldn't cover but, IMO, no defense could. Jones consistently got the ball close enough and all of them (Ruggs - until he went out, Jeudy, Smith and Waddle playing in Rugg's place) made some amazing, NFL level catches despite decent coverage by both Thomas and HIll deep and Hawkins or Metellus in the middle. Despite decent coverage over the middle, Jones got the ball into tight windows and Jeudy and Waddle did the rest with their speed after the catch.

While coverage might have looked bad at first glance, from where I sat, I could see the coverage, it was good (the doubles scheme and switches worked) but better QB play and slick receivers will beat even good coverage. IMO, there was more of that circumstance than blown coverage ..... but shit-posters dumping on Brown and his CBs and Ss and JH in general won't have seen that. It's common knowledge among competent observers that Alabama's receive room in 2019 may be the best collection of talent, size and speed in CFB ..... ever.

In the end the predictable outcome was obtained and Harris got going as the defense flagged in the 2nd half. Frankly, as has already been mentioned, QB play doomed an otherwise inventive offensive scheme with a good run game and passing attack that Patterson couldn't execute. No defensive scheme can sustain itself when the offense can't do their part so, I'm not blaming Brown like so many seem to be. As well, and despite getting tired as the 2nd half wore on, you could see the enthusiasm of the defense that characterized it's first half performance, wane as the offense couldn't sustain drives or score. Aside from some poor clock management and Harbaugh injected conservatism, actually limited by Patterson's erratic play despite good line play and protections, the in-game coaching was fine. Game prep was fine. You can lay the final score and the loss on Shea Patterson's inability to make the plays that Mac Jones DID make.

On to 2020 and whoever emerges as M's QB. Whoever it is, M's offense under Josh Gattis is going to be better without Patterson in it.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• What I didn't understand was the M playcalling.

Shea was off. 17-37 and two INTs; Charbonnet averaged 6.5 ypc but only got 13 touches. I think taking about 10 pass plays from Shea and giving them to Charbonnet would have changed the look of the game.
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I said before that I thought the one bright spot in the game was where Michigan showed the ability to run the ball effectively with Charbonnet and Haskins. Both of them are coming back, and with Chris Evans back in the fold, if they can get the OL settled, this could be a pretty decent running team next year. But, as Jeff noted, whoever the QB is, is going to have to make the offense work by hitting open receivers, which will in turn, make the running game more effective. I don't care who wins the starting job. I think both McCaffery and Milton have potential to be very good, but Shea had the potential to be good as well, but it was never shown consistently on the field. So that's the biggest off season question that needs to be addressed.

I think Jeff's take on the game is accurate. Fix the QB problem, and this team can compete.

Comment

• HARBAUGH!!! has been "fixing" QB problems since the end of the 2015 season. I wouldn't have a great deal of faith in the mountain finally getting summitted in 2020. But, it's more imperative than ever. Ryan Day and Ohio State are playing with elite QBs, and that's not going to change. M can't roll out mediocre and ever have a chance in that game.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• As unbelievable as it sounds, Michigan has to focus on more than just beating OSU. They have to continue to whack MSU, and they need to find a way to win IN Happy Valley and Madison. They definitely need to find a way to beat OSU. Goes without saying. But nobody is beating OSU nowadays except in the playoffs or the occasional Purdue/NW anomaly. Nobody is beating them consistently. Not Wisconsin. Not Penn State. Not MSU. Nobody. They need to get better as well. I'm sure their fans and coaches will agree.

Harbaugh started off with a very good QB in Ruddock, but struck out with Speight, Peters and O'Korn. That set his program back 2-3 years, while Meyer created even more distance. He squeezed 19 wins out of Patterson, who was not the 5 star talent he was advertised to be. Now, he appears to have 3 QB's on the roster who have some real QB skills, and have the size and frame to be effective. What they actually do, will be up to them.

Coaches don't win games. The players do. Coaches point the way, and the players execute. When all that comes together at Michigan, they will win.

Comment

• Nobody is beating them consistently.
                Yeah, that's true. But, he has to beat them at least once in awhile. I guess my point is that when I looked at UFM's teams with JTB they were limited by what they could do downfield with the passing game. And, frankly, I think they were limited by UFM's general offensive approach. It was great at bludgeoning mediocre teams, but against elite defenses they just couldn't do anything because they couldn't threaten the whole field. Ryan Day has changed that. You look at Haskins and Fields and what they're doing, and you can longer show up with a really good defense and be in the game. You now need a really good offense and that demands really good QB play. And HARBAUGH!!! just hasn't delivered on that front.

Maybe D-Mac!!! changes that. Maybe JJMac will be the savior. I dunno. But, as of today I don't think you can beat Ohio State with average QB play.

Michigan has to focus on more than just beating OSU.
                I mean, that's true, but if M ever wants to win another B10 title they're going to have to beat Ohio State, right? The logistics of them being stuck in the same division as OSU sort of means they have to beat them to get to Indy to have a chance at the title.

Comment

• I mean, that's true, but if M ever wants to win another B10 title they're going to have to beat Ohio State, right? The logistics of them being stuck in the same division as OSU sort of means they have to beat them to get to Indy to have a chance at the title.
                  Correct, but it would also make Michigan's task a bit easier if Penn State, or MSU, or basically ANYONE could come along and tag OSU with a loss before they play Michigan. As it stands now, OSU cruises thru the schedule, then at the end, the rest of the conference looks at Michigan and says, "Why can't you beat them?" Well, its not just Michigan's job to beat OSU. Somebody else needs to step up now and then. Yes, being in the same division means that more often than not, OSU is going to be Michigan's roadblock to Indy and the playoffs. But, it'd be nice if some of our conference brethren would knock OSU down a peg or two along the way. MSU is on a downward spiral, so they're no help. Wisconsin got beat twice by OSU. Penn State has won what, once in four years?

So, its not just Michigan. Its everyone else in the conference as well.

Comment

• but it would also make Michigan's task a bit easier if Penn State, or MSU, or basically ANYONE could come along and tag OSU with a loss before they play Michigan
                    So, obviously Ohio State has lost B10 games before playing M -- like in every year from 2015-18. The problem is that OSU isn't going to lose enough so that the OSU-M game is irrelevant. Even if they have 1 loss they can still win the division by beating an undefeated M and winning the tiebreaker.

In 2020 they play at Penn State. That is ALWAYS a problem. It will be a problem again.

Comment

• It's going to take a lot more than strong QB play for Michigan to beat OSU. It's going to take a complete change of leadership and mentality throughout the program. Harbaugh has recruited soft players who aren't committed while Meyer recruited Spartan (not MSU) types who will chew on broken glass to get themselves a win. You need look no further than the approach taken by Shea Patterson vs. JK Dobbins in the off season to see this cavernous difference. JK Dobbins made possibly the biggest junior year leap that I have ever seen out of a running back, while Shea spent the summer on the golf course and still got the starting job (from the coaches who openly joked about how much time he spent on the golf course).

Comment

• Its going to be a bad L @ Washington

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
                          Its going to be a bad L @ Washington
                          Well, they're going to have some issues. They are going to have a new coach, and they will also be breaking in a new QB, just like us. Winning out there has always been tough, so I'd also make Washington the early favorite. But, we'll see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                            It's going to take a lot more than strong QB play for Michigan to beat OSU. It's going to take a complete change of leadership and mentality throughout the program. Harbaugh has recruited soft players who aren't committed while Meyer recruited Spartan (not MSU) types who will chew on broken glass to get themselves a win. You need look no further than the approach taken by Shea Patterson vs. JK Dobbins in the off season to see this cavernous difference. JK Dobbins made possibly the biggest junior year leap that I have ever seen out of a running back, while Shea spent the summer on the golf course and still got the starting job (from the coaches who openly joked about how much time he spent on the golf course).
                            I think the pieces are there for 2020 to have a decent offense. World beaters? No.

Now, I generally agree with you Hanni regarding the lack of glass eating mental toughness on the Michigan football teams. No one has mentioned this here but Jordon Glascow gave JH a ringing endorsement that rather encapsulates the M culture thing we've been discussing here most of the season:

Q. Jordan, what has Coach Harbaugh meant to you? What has he taught you in your time here at Michigan?

JORDAN GLASGOW: I mean, it's difficult to say right now. I haven't really, you know, thought about it. I haven't really reflected that much, as the season ended 10 minutes ago.

But, I mean, my experience at the University of Michigan and Coach Harbaugh?led teams, my brothers have been on them and I was on them for my entire five years. It's been an honor to be coached by Coach Harbaugh -- by a person who, you know, wants to develop a person's character as well as their football skills. And it's difficult to put into words, but it's just been a pleasure playing for him and for the people that he's brought in.

Look, this isn't going to change at Michigan. Before the advent of the CFP play-off system, it was much more likely that playing football, and you know, becoming a well rounded student that can have a life while earning a good income outside of the NFL, didn't compromise a BT's team capacity to compete for championships. I believe that is no longer possible. There has to be a 100% commitment towinning and developing football players who may or may not be top students. So, M might just be relegated to it's place in the CFB hierarchy because of the very culture that Jordan Glascow and probably others on M's football team value. There are plenty of guffaw arguments that can be offered. Fine. Laugh away. I'm not going to die on that mountain. Folks have different perspectives on this very issue. But, IMO, the game has changed considerably in the last 15 years, the playing field is not level and the NCAA/Board of Governors need to act to level it.

Maybe put this in the hopium category, talent, but the next QB up, and we don't know who that is going to be, is going to be better than Shea Patterson. There are others who have gone through the numbers on his mediocrity. I'm not going to do it because, he competed on the playing field and I haven't .... not on this one anyway. I'm not sure if M needs a better position coach for the QB position; I think Harbaugh, if he's doing that and I don't think he is coaching fundamentals required in the Gattis offense, shouldn't be coaching QBs. He's old school and it's hard to change your stripes. In the specific cases of M QBs under Harbaugh, O'Korn and Patterson reflect pretty big swings and misses. I also think that if JH is really in to meritocracy, Shea should have been pulled in a couple of games this season, back-ups should have gotten more reps and been ready to go in. None of that happened. I'd call that situation in its totality a legitimate ding on Harbaugh's approach/coaching to the most important position on the team. This is especially true with modern offenses. M has one. It just lacks a QB to run it. It will be worth watching the off season to see what Harbaugh does to get one.
                            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• QB is an area where M can improve for next season but the OL taking an expected big step back could make the next QB's job much more difficult.

Comment

• M: Winning at the Game of Life!
                                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X