DSL's Movie/TV Reviews and Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, you’ve never seen it?

(btw, the Trump pic I posted earlier was a take on the aliens in the movie)
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I’ve never sat down and watched the whole thing. Mainly seen clips and recognize references to it.

Comment

• Shameful. Go put some ketchup on your well-done ribeye before you quaff your Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper and single malt, you rube.
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Speaking of John Carpenter. Finally saw "The Thing" (1982) the other day. Yes yes, there are some classics that I still haven't watched... like "Goodfellas", "The Godfather: Part II", and "Casablanca." Hard to watch EVERYTHING with 1,400+ IMDB movie ratings and being a big fan of TV series...

"The Thing" (1982) is really good. Practical effects insane. Claustrophobic horror style that probably was inspired from "Alien." Not as great as "Alien", but certainly one of the better horror movies there is. The 2011 "The Thing" does a solid job as a prequel, but is only OK.

Completely unrelated. There is a movie that came out this year called "The Hunt" that is highly entertaining. Dark comedy/ action/ satire film that is unpredictable. Action scenes are filmed well. I think the reviews are off because it's a satire and it might have pissed people off. Craig Zobel directed one of the best "The Leftovers" episodes... hope to see more opportunities for him.
          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• I really liked “The Thing”. Enjoyed it more than “Alien”. Saw both in the theaters. Yes, I’m old.

Comment

• Besides Shock Theater that featured Bella Lugosi as Dracula, Lon Chainey as the Weirwolf and Boris Karloff as the Mummy, I had bad dreams after watching The Blob. The dream featured a scene in that movie where the blob appeared as a basketball sized bit of pink jelly inside a movie theater, followed by scarry music and people screaming and yelling and shortly thereafter this gigantic blood red blob oozes forth and out the broken doorways of the theater. Obviously it had eaten everyone inside before bursting through the doors to get outside.

I saw The Thing too ..... we are both old.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Strangelove:

When you're done with Congo please review Bloodsport 4: The Dark Kumite. Those should be your next two reviews, and if they're not I'm send The Wiz your Reynoldsburg address. Expect to be enjoying Christmas Eve dinner with The Wizard, a mountain of freezer-aisle quality wings and a case of Little Kings.

So, please. HOP TO!
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                  I’ve never sat down and watched the whole thing. Mainly seen clips and recognize references to it.
                  As if we needed any more evidence that this man is a Communist.

Comment

• DSL -- here are a few more hidden gems to add to your 80s watchlist:

George Orwell's Animal Farm -- but at summer camp for kids!

The Stuff -- a horror movie about a delicious treat from Outer Space that turns people into zombies (they somehow convinced Danny Aiello to be in this!)

And last but not least, Reform School Girls a compelling drama about female incarceration and the sexual objectification of women.

Reform School Girls is a true masterpiece that was criminally ignored by the Oscars that year.
                    Last edited by Hannibal; December 18, 2020, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• Casablanca lives up to the hype as does Goodfellas.

Comment

• I have seen The Stuff but it has been many, many years. I feel like that used to run on Saturday afternoon tv a lot when I was a kid.

Comment

• Has anyone review The Queen's Gambit?
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Foodfight! (2003? 2012?)
                            d. Lawrence Kasanoff
                            Starring: Charlie Sheen, Eva Longoria, Wayne Brady, Hillary Duff, Christopher Lloyd, Larry Miller

This might be the worst thing I've ever seen. Well, half-seen. I have a high tolerance for awful shit and I couldn't make it through this. I quit a half hour in.

The animation is atrocious. The jokes are godawful and a lot of the humor isn't even child-appropriate. It's a fucking mess.

I follow a few bad movies podcasts/shows and this has popped up a few times as one of the worst things ever made so I was curious enough to watch part of it on Youtube. I highly recommend never watching any of this but if you're THAT curious, look for it on YouTube. For God's sake do not spend a dime to see it.

The backstory is a lot more interesting than the thing itself. How did this cost over $60 million to make??? How did they get so many well-known people to do voice acting?? Supposedly back in 2002, a great deal of the computer animation was "stolen" on a hard drive and never recovered. Almost a decade later the "film" was released with substitute animation inserted. It's AWFUL. But better animation wouldn't fix the script which is loaded with non-clever sexual innuendo, Nazi allegories, and corporate product placement (Imagine a version of Toy Story where product mascots like Charlie Tuna and Mrs. Buttersworth come to life when humans aren't around).

Comment

• STFU
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                                Has anyone review The Queen's Gambit?
                                it’s a decent fairy tale.

Comment

Working...
                                X