This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
    M fans that hang out here are not likely to have the deep pockets to conglomerate with those that do and do what Texas A&M has pulled off this class. Your call to "tap your deep pocketed boosters" belies the fact that the posters your complaining about here are working stiffs, making a paycheck and trying to provide as best we can for our families. We have zero impact on what needs to be done and are not among those that will get it done.
    It's not exactly "zero", but we do ultimately have some say in the market. We are the ones who buy tickets, watch TVs, and fork over cash for overpriced concessions and t-shirts. We decide how to spend that money based on our perceived value. And, while the OSU gameday was phenomenal, it's an (increasingly rare) outlier of what the "experience" has become. Likewise, seeing the same 3-4 teams being on a completely different level from the rest doesn't help your market share. Bottom line: CFB isn't too big to fail and it needs to ultimately meet the needs of it's end consumers (i.e. "us").

Comment

For a little perspective on aTm, Will Johnson, M's highest rated recruit, would be the 5th best recruit in aTm's class (for now...probably 6th at the end of the day) and Derrick Moore, M's 2nd highest recruit, would be 11th in aTm's class (for now...heh).

Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

CFB isn't too big to fail and it needs to ultimately meet the needs of it's end consumers (i.e. "us").
        I agree with your first point the second gets complicated. Conferences selling broadcast rights to the networks tends to dilute the value of individual athletic departments selling tickets or luxury boxes. There's also the monetization of the brand that provides other sources of revenue (e.g., sports wear).

I think you're overestimating the revenue stream existent from ticket sales (id. est, "us" being seen as having our "needs met") as a factor in the revenue calculation. Yes, ticket sales play a part but not as big as revenue from monetizing the brand and a programs share of what the conferences haul in from broadcast rights. I don't know that we are small potatoes in the calculation but I suspect we are.

I can see a decoupling coming of school's traditional connection to both the conferences and the NCAA. Money is going to be a driver of that. Maybe Jack Swarbrick saw this coming and refused to have ND fully join a conference and the ACC relationship doesn't fulfill what was asked of them when the CFP system was set up. They demanded special consideration and got it and they maintained their lucrative broadcast rights with NBC ..... for now.

It's going to be a process. But we'll likely end up with two leagues - sort of major and minor - made up of independent programs selling broadcast rights on their own with the value of those dependent on the quality of football their playing and the number of eyeballs they draw to watch them play. College players will be paid one way or the other and in the process the programs they play for will become farm clubs for the NFL carrying out trades that will need to be regulated like most pro-sports teams are now.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

I don't think there will be two leagues or anything like that, it will progress in iterations and it will become even kludgier. But predicting the outcomes of something so new is a fools' errand.

My point is that this is an opportunity for Michigan and MSU to be innovative. You might not get to the heights that some of those SEC programs get to but you can improve on what you are doing now. But you have to embrace the change. The Spartans have and part of the Tucker contract extension besides the eye popping dollars is the assistant pools, recruiting pool, staff resources, use of charter planes, etc. A lot of the stuff that they wouldn't pony up for with Saban. The Big Ten for a long time has not participated in the arms race for that kind of stuff with the SEC. OSU is really the only school that has tried to compete on those levels.

But there is no doubt that OSU and Michigan can compete with Texas A&M if those chose to try and compete. When Jeff posts something from Mgoblog about the consolidation of top kids to 4 schools over the years, check out the facilitiy improvements over the last two decades. All that shit adds up, even more so when you have weather to deal with.

Comment

Long term, that money has got to start getting diverted from the huge amounts that boosters donate that end up as facilities or coaching salaries today. Athletic department budgets are a highly inefficient way of turning booster dollars into victories. Direct payments to players will be much more effective, long term.

Comment

Ojabao has declared for the NFL draft. 2 DEs down, none to go. Time for MM to show he can "steel his spine."
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Next year there is going to be a dearth of talent, but a ton of experience. If MM can patch together an average Iowa caliber squad it should be enough.

Comment

They are going to have to restore his pay and then some.
                  Per a bombshell report from Bruce Feldman, Jim Harbaugh could be tempted to leave Ann Arbor to coach the Raiders in the NFL.

Comment

He is not a fit for the Raiders. Bears maybe.
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

You can win quicker with the Raiders. I have no opinion on the fit.

Comment

I actually buy the rumor. It's one of two things:

1. Harbaugh's camp trying to use leverage to increase resources and money spent by the Michigan football administration.
                        Possible ideas: Increase in NIL. Higher pay for staff. Harbaugh wanting to be paid more after taking a pay cut. Upgrade part of the football facility.
                        We saw James Franklin's name floating around for a month with the big school job openings. What was the end result? More $$$$$$$ spent on Franklin and Penn State football. Job well done by James Franklin's agent.

2. Harbaugh believes he has reached the peak when it comes to modern day Michigan football.
                        Harbaugh wants to compete at the highest level and maybe it's impossible for Michigan to do that. Not having the resources to keep up with Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, and Texas A&M. The NFL? Anyone can compete. It's the major leagues of football. Similar to Brian Kelly leaving ND for LSU. Kelly had enough and thought he couldn't elevate ND any farther. You can win a national championship at LSU.

We've seen crazier stuff happen in this coaching carousel then the possibility of Harbaugh leaving to the NFL. I hope not and think Harbaugh ultimately stays, but wouldn't be surprised either way.
                        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

"Harbaugh to the Raiders" has been a running joke since he was hired at Michigan.

Comment

If they dangle the Gruden deal, it might be more than a running joke.

Comment

1. Harbaugh definitely needs his previous salary restored (at a minimum).

2. Michigan definitely HAS THE RESOURCES to compete with the likes of Alabama and Texas A&M. What has been lacking is the intestinal fortitude to get in the slop with the pigs.

3. I’m not sure money is the biggest factor for Harbaugh. He recently said he’d coach Michigan for free. Sure, it’s cliche’ and not taken literally but he DID just donate $2,000,000 in bonus money to the athletic staff to offset pay cuts during the pandemic. After taking a 50% pay cut himself.

Hopefully, he’s pushing hard for a legit NIL program.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                                "Harbaugh to the Raiders" has been a running joke since he was hired at Michigan.
                                I remember when Harbaugh was on the jet headed to Ann Arbor to appear in the presser where it was announced he was taking the Michigan job. WHILE HE WAS STILL ON THE PLANE, ESPN was floating a story that The Raiders were making 'a last minute pitch" to get Harbaugh.

I'll believe Harbaugh to the Raiders or (fill in the blank NFL team) when I see him standing there in the presser, accepting the job.

I believe there is a <1% chance that he's interested in the NFL. Now, could he use a rumor to tap more money from M? Maybe, but as Mike pointed out above, money isn't a driving force for Harbaugh. He's given away a couple million of his DECREASED salary this season. Money is not a big thing with him.

But, of course, every year, .. HARBAUGH TO THE NFL!!!!!!!!!!!
                                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Working...
                                X