Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan 27, Iowa 14, Post Game Discussion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found this great interview with him for the 25th anniversary of the 1988 OSU game. He's sharp as a tack. HIGHLY recommend every Michigan fan to read this. Really cool.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu-michig..._the_mich.html

As for me, I always have told people, "Make no mistake, I was a wide blocker for the University of Michigan." We ran the ball a lot. When we did need to throw, it was at the end of the game and we needed to have a lot of yardage in a hurry.

One of the most under-appreciated plays in Michigan history.

Comment

• Wow! Great story, Mike. I'm jealous! Kolesar, IMO, was one of the most underrated WR's in CFB that year. He was fearless in running routes, and he had super glue hands. Reminded me a lot of Steve Largent.

Your favorite Kolesar moment is mine too. He had the KO return in that game that gave M great field position, then he caught the TD pass for the win. A kid from Columbus Ohio made them all regret that he got away. Great stuff.

That beats my John Wangler helping me start my car at the old Silverdome!

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• You know what's crazy? He actually had far fewer receptions than I would have guessed. Even for the era he played in. I figured 2 years with Harbaugh would have boosted his numbers more. He played all 4 years and had 61 receptions in 49 career games. But he averaged 23.4 yards per catch for his career! I guess that's he's so memorable. Every time he got his hands on the ball it was a big play.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...kolesar-1.html

Comment

• Great stuff Mike. Watched the video of that game that was embedded in the Tweet. I was deployed to Iwakuni Japan for that game. All I had was the Stars and Stripes recap. That's the first time I've seen the important part of that game. So, thanks.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
            You know what's crazy? He actually had far fewer receptions than I would have guessed. Even for the era he played in. I figured 2 years with Harbaugh would have boosted his numbers more. He played all 4 years and had 61 receptions in 49 career games. But he averaged 23.4 yards per catch for his career! I guess that's he's so memorable. Every time he got his hands on the ball it was a big play.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...kolesar-1.html
            He broke his collarbone one year. That didn't help his career numbers for sure.

Comment

• Thats a cool story and I didn't want to ruin it, but have no choice now. Caden Kolesar is out for the year after suffering an ACL tear​ (sucks), injury's are starting to pile up.

Roman Wilson will most likely be out vs IU (wrist) possible concussion- He took a hit that should have been targeting Harbaugh was livid after the play. Eric All, Karsen Barnhart (ankle) and Nikhai Hill-Green (soft issue). Hill-Green has not appeared in a game this season.

Running back Donovan Edwards and offensive lineman Trevor Keegan both returned last week for Michigan but on a pitch count.
              Last edited by WingsFan; October 6, 2022, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• Caden Kolesar still has two more years if he wants them, and could likely qualify for a 3rd if he gets a medical redshirt for this year.

Comment

• The biggest SP loss is the long snapper. He went down along with Kolesar in the Iowa game. From reading mgoblog, Jay Harbaugh has some depth in that specialty. But these are players who fly completely under the radar in a game ...... until the snap sails over the punters head or the FG holder.

Accompanying this item at mgo, was a decent discussion of field turf compared to grass. One study cited that there were 64% more ACL injuries on field turf compared to grass but the overall injury rate was slightly lower. Grass is aso much more difficult and costly to maintain. It's now a non-starter at M due to the height of the water table under the stadium. There was also some talk about hybrid surfaces on athletic fields that are a mix of grass (and it's underlying more forgiving dirt) and and artificial stuff.
                  Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Man, that’s some bad juju that John told the story about blowing out Stoops’ ACL and then the same thing happened to his kid later that day.

Comment

• Fiinal thoughts on Kinnick. Great venue, great people, great city. I could tell it certainly has the potential to be a madhouse but pretty much all the Iowa fans I interacted with felt like they were marching on to certain death. Michigan’s impressive opening TD drive pretty much took the crowd out of the game. Boo birds came out after Iowa’s second possession. Resignation crept in before the 1st quarter was over.

Something that was odd to me was their pregame and entrance was all piped in rock music. They do Back in Black while the team walks down the tunnel (shown on the big screens) and that’s got a good vibe. But when that faded out, I thought for sure it would be the band playing while they took the field. Instead they blasted Enter Sandman. When the team was halfway into the field they turned the music off and I *think* the band was playing. I honestly never heard them the entire day. If you think Michigan goes too far with the loud music, Iowa is 3x worse. Like I NEVER heard the band once. Granted, I had to leave (kid issue) right before Iowa scored but for 3 full quarters it was just like an NFL game.

Comment

• There was also some talk about hybrid surfaces on athletic fields that are a mix of grass (and it's underlying more forgiving dirt) and and artificial stuff.
                        I've often wondered why this hasn't been done already. Place dirt/clay underneath artificial turf. Add some sort of barrier to make sure it doesn't harden or become mud. Seems like that would be more forgiving and more like the real thing.

Comment

• shaddup
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                          X