Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But, again, the trend right now is that winning teams are led by kids that stay longer. There has to be balance. You could certainly get it by finding highly-ranked kids that are likely to stay longer, if you can find those. Or if you are targeting in some instances very skilled kids that aren't NBA athletes.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
      But, again, the trend right now is that winning teams are led by kids that stay longer. There has to be balance. You could certainly get it by finding highly-ranked kids that are likely to stay longer, if you can find those. Or if you are targeting in some instances very skilled kids that aren't NBA athletes.
      Most kids in the top-50 (and maybe even further down. Remember that is was reported that DJ Wilson considered himself a 1 and done) don't see their paths as long ones to the NBA. Some get a reality-check and stick around. Brandon Johns is likely one of those guys. Terrance Jones was one for that UK team.

I think you can succeed by recruiting within the top-50 or 75 because the probability is that if you signed 4 guys in the top 75, 1 or 2 will still be around as Juniors. Virginia's Championship team had 5 guys (in the top 7 of their rotation) that were all ranked in the top 75, and all from the same recruiting class. Villanova had 4 top-75 guys (2 in the top 20), 2 others in the top-100, and DiVincenzo at #124. Neither team was dipping that deep into 3-star land.

Comment

• Putting what may or may not work aside, I'd ideally (and selfishly) love to have good/great talent that sticks around at least 2 years. It's more fun for me as a fan to have a player I like be a Michigan Wolverine for as long as possible. There are more memories to be made. It's harder to look back and remember a whole lot of Mitch McGary moments than it is to remember TIMMAY as a Wolverine and I remember more of what Glen Rice and Loy Vaught did than both of them.

Comment

• Agreed and agreed. 50-75 should get you those players, for sure. There's a pretty strong case that save for your one elite bucket-getter, you'd rather have those four-stars who have played in the system a few years already and can execute more than a basic suite of offensive plays and all. Nova, UVa, etc. And, yeah. One-and-dones can just kind of come and go and so what? IMO that one-and-done comes when you have that group already.

Comment

• shaddup
            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• You recruit the best talent you can get. Hopefully Juwan can finish with these five stars he's recruiting, JB was usually losing those battles despite being favorites early.

Comment

• Bags
                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I think the one-and-done thing will very soon be a thing of the past. And its a good thing. If a kid wants to jump straight into the NBA, then that's between him and the NBA. He had the chance to get some free education, but chose to go run with Lebron and KD. That's on him, and whomever is advising him.

Lord help them all if they are advised by people like LaVar Ball ...

However, I still would like to see some sort of requirement where if a kid chooses to receive a college scholarship, then he's obligated to play at least 2 years in college, before opting for the NBA draft.

I'd even be in favor of some sort of an agreement between the NBA and the NCAA, similar to what is done in Hockey and Baseball, where a kid can be drafted out of HS, and that NBA team can hold his rights for up to 4 years, and the kid can opt to go to his pro team after a couple years in the NCAA.

Maybe some sort of a reward system could be in place where if a kid is drafted by the NBA, but the kid doesn't particularly like that NBA team, he can go to school for four years, GET HIS DEGREE, and then re-enter the NBA Draft and possibly be drafted by a different team.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I think the hockey system allows for holding of rights/following the player for years. I think baseball does not. They can draft you out of HS, but then you have choice of signing or going to college for at least 3 years. I rather like the idea of drafting kids and holding their rights (for a year or two). I think CBB is probably a better developmental league than the G-League or overseas. Plus, you could pay the kid with NBA money. It would also involve strategic thinking on the part of NBA teams that might have to wait 2-3 years for a drafted player to get to the league.

Auerbach did that with Larry Bird. Drafted him 6th overall in his junior season. Waited a year and, welp. If Boston hadn't drafted him he would have certainly gone to Chicago (who was picking #2). The Bulls, instead, got Dave Greenwood. Of relevance to this group, Phil Hubbard went 15th to the Pistons and Laimbeer went 65th to the Cavs. Fucking Stepian.

They then closed that loophole.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• shaddup
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Since Kessler is coming for opening weekend for football and Nimari Burnett has made plans to come September 5th for his OV, things are starting to get interesting. UMHoops has the Visit Tracker- https://umhoops.com/official-visits/

Comment

• No surprise here that we made the cut: Nimari Burnett is down to Michigan, Alabama, Louisville, Texas Tech and Oregon.
                          At least we're the biggest name amongst those schools and it's nice that Illinois didn't make the cut. If he wants to be close to home, we're the leader there.

Comment

• Sure doesn't seem like he cares about geography.

Comment

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post
                              No surprise here that we made the cut: Nimari Burnett is down to Michigan, Alabama, Louisville, Texas Tech and Oregon.
                              At least we're the biggest name amongst those schools and it's nice that Illinois didn't make the cut. If he wants to be close to home, we're the leader there.
                              Louisville isn't that much father.
                              2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Add SG Moses Moody #40c to the 2020 offer list. Apparently, he'll be playing with Zeb this season in H.S.

Comment

Working...
                                X