Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And, Liney, not only does Morris make millions, but he moves up the year when he becomes a free agent. That is the payday year in the NBA. Jermaine O'Neil sat the bench for three years (Portland or Seattle) before he went to the Pacers with his FA contract.
    Last edited by Da Geezer; November 6, 2011, 01:08 PM. Reason: misspell

Comment

• But that is the thing--he didn't get drafted in the 1st round. So not only is he NOT making millions, he doesn't even have a guaranteed roster spot.

Add to that the fact that there isn't even an NBA season happening this year and it was just a ridiculously bad decision.

BTW, the general word on the street before the draft was that the season was in serious jeopardy. That is why a lot of big names pulled out of the draft. I will give you that some, SOME people thought Morris MIGHT go in the 1st round, but everyone was well aware that the season had a very decent shot at being lost and that it was almost a guarantee that there would be at least some delay to the start of the season.

I just don't get why people like Harris and Morris let people get into their ear and make them believe all this "You're going in the first round" stuff when it is obvious that neither of them were really even close to being taken in the 1st round.

Comment

• Obvious if you have the benefit of hindsight.

Comment

• He also implied that it was possible to see AT THE TIME:

1. there might not be a '11-'12 NBA season (I think they'll make an agreement to have a very shortened season in another 2-3 weeks)
          2. He wasn't too likely to be a 1st rounder.

Its much like giving some good advice, them not taking it... I would've really loved to see the '11-'12 Wolverines with Morris, who is/was a terrific college player.

Comment

• I would have too. Morris' decision didn't turn out ideal, but he made a decision with the information he had at the time and it made sense then.

Comment

• LIke I said, all of the big Mock Draft sites had him going in the first and at least one had him going in the teens. That might've been the word he was getting from teams as well.

Comment

• It looked pretty dumb to me at the time. I don't know how mock drafts could have had him going in the first round when the consensus was that he wasn't that caliber of player. Add on top of that the risk of a lockout and he definitely should have stayed in school. To leave early for the pros you've got to be a lock for the first round whether it's basketball or football.

Comment

• Afaik, he was one of the true point guards in the draft which it was believed would elevate his stock
                  To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Also, a lot of players that would've been lottery picks were going back to school, so he moved up some slots in the mocks.

The return of other players may have also played a part in him coming out. Maybe he thought his draft stock wouldn't be any higher since next year's draft is expected to be a lot deeper.

Comment

• Hindsight.

Comment

• I didn't see Darius Morris as having NBA level athletic ability (for a point guard, which is higher) and might struggle getting penetration against the better defensive point guards in the NBA. He was a fringe late 1st rounder, early 2nd rounder when he declared. After he declared, he moved up in some so-called experts mock drafts. NBA obviously didn't see him as first round material...

NOT in hindsight, I said as much 7-8 months or so ago before he left.

Comment

• Well, any basketball he's playing right now is nothing more than a pickup game.

And I don't think the NBA is writing any paychecks to players right now, so he's not making any money either.
                          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• On solid information.... Austin Hatch was at the gym and able to do some shooting. The kid is determined and great to hear that he is beginning to, at some level, do things that he loves.

Comment

• Good for him! I thot JD had just posted a week or two ago that he was still in a coma...

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                                I would have too. Morris' decision didn't turn out ideal, but he made a decision with the information he had at the time and it made sense then.
                                No, it didn't. It was a stupid decision at the time and looks even stupider now. But he listened to the sycophants who couldn't stop telling him how great he was and how nothing but the absolute best scenario could occur for him. Just like Manny Harris did.

For Morris' sake, I hope he ends up as lucky as Harris did.

Comment

Working...
                                X