No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, I'm not happy about Datsyuk playing but 1. He's earned the benefit of the doubt and 2. Captaining your national team in the Olympics in your home country is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I think most hockey players would sacrifice a lot for that honor.

Having said that, fuck Russia in their stupid asses.

Comment

• Zetterberg has reinjured his back, out indefinitely, won't play anymore for Sweden. Not good for the Red Wings. Dats is playing with an inflamed knee, running the risk of aggravating it further by playing in the Games. IMHO, the Wings risk losing the 2 best players in hockey (f-you Cindy and Ovie) and face the real possibility of missing the playoffs for the first time in what, 20 some years?
      “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Zetterberg & Datsyuk OWE everything they have in life to the NHL and in particular to the Detroit Red Wings. Shitting on the owner that has paid them millions is disgraceful and speaks to character IMO. They were both injured for extended periods of time while the Wings paid their salaries in full with the expectation that they would return healthy to lineup and limp into the playoffs.

While both have shown flashes of brilliance periodically, I'd have neither on my team, ever.

Russia's defensive corps is suspect, if the US pulls the upset on Russian soil, lookout. Can't wait for Saturday!
        ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• I wouldn't even call it an upset. The USA team is deeper.

I knew that this would happen some day. Unfortunately, Zetterberg isn't a ratings draw, so nobody is going to give a shit. You need a guy like Crosby or Ovechkin to get hurt to turn some heads. But I really hate that the Red Wings are constantly sending their inury prone, tired players overseas to compete in tournaments where they just get beaten up more. And I'm really sick of this injury shit. If I'm Mike Ilitch, I'm never letting my guys play in the Olympics again. Every contract from this point forward says that you aren't allowed to compete in frivolous shit outside of the NHL, or if you get injured doing it, the Red Wings don't pay your fucking salary. Loyalty to your pro team comes first.

At this point, Zetterberg's health is a lost cause. He hasn't played a healthy season since 2009. He will never be a dependable impact player again. Time to cut our losses there if we can.
          Last edited by Hannibal; February 14, 2014, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
            Yeah, I'm not happy about Datsyuk playing but 1. He's earned the benefit of the doubt and 2. Captaining your national team in the Olympics in your home country is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I think most hockey players would sacrifice a lot for that honor.

Having said that, fuck Russia in their stupid asses.
            I agree with Mike and disagree with anyone saying these guys don't have the right to play for their home countries. It's a very selfish attitude to try to say that the rest of the international hockey world doesn't deserve to see their very best players playing for their national teams. Those players (for the most part---though I know the rules allow some to play because their great uncle's mom's brother's grandpa's sister was a native of that country) were born and raised and trained and sponsored by those countries from the first time they laced up their skates, yet we as NHL fans selfishly have exclusive rights to them? Uh------NO!

Comment

• I'm sorry, but we have every right to insist that these guys not play in the Olympics. The NHL is their employer. Their #1 job is to win a Stanley Cup, not go overseas on some dreamy journey of fulfillment. When those two objectives are at odds with one another, then you choose the NHL. Professional sports are a full comittment and you can't play for two different teams. Zetterberg's team is the Red Wings, not Sweden. Datsyuk's team is the Red Wings, not Russia.
              Last edited by Hannibal; February 14, 2014, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• The NHL is still trying to regrow the sport. Exposure in the olymic arena will far outweigh the risk of injury to its stars. This is the equivalent of the World Cup in soccer for the sport. The NHL should want this to happen as being good for the overall health of the league. Plus I have a feeling the players really desire to suit up for their countries too.
                Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Sacrifice the sport to grow the sport. Because that has worked so well in the past.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                    I'm sorry, but we have every right to insist that these guys not play in the Olympics. The NHL is their employer. Their #1 job is to win a Stanley Cup, not go overseas on some dreamy journey of fulfillment. When those two objectives are at odds with one another, then you choose the NHL. Professional sports are a full comittment and you can't play for two different teams. Zetterberg's team is the Red Wings, not Sweden. Datsyuk's team is the Red Wings, not Russia.
                    One major point to consider, though (and Tony already mentioned how it benefits the NHL in the long run) the NHL does allow for it and has for some time. While the individual clubs of the NHL are the actual employers of the players, those clubs are governed by the rules and policies of the NHL. This isn't the NHL of 50 years ago where nearly every player was of North American origin; does anybody truly believe it would be wise to not foster that pipeline from Eurasia that feeds in so many talented players to the NHL?

While I have no idea how many international hockey players would choose to stay home if the NHL forbad them from playing at home/for home, the talent level of the league would suffer greatly if even just 20% of those overseas players chose NOT to play in the NHL. Quite frankly, the NHL overexpanded and expanded way too quickly a few decades ago.

Lets say I'm little Cindy C and I wanted to play for my motherland in 2010. In front of my parents and families. In front of my neighbors and friends. In front of my countrymen and countrywomen. While we may enjoy bashing little Cindy here regularly, when you ask little Cindy C or the Russian Ovulator or any other NHL'er, way more often than not they cite their Olympic moment and/or medal as their most prized memory/possession.

Anyway, F the NHL owners---did they care about us during the lockout??!

Comment

• How is it sacrificing the sport?

I'm sorry, but we have every right to insist that these guys not play in the Olympics. The NHL is their employer. Their #1 job is to win a Stanley Cup, not go overseas on some dreamy journey of fulfillment. When those two objectives are at odds with one another, then you choose the NHL. Professional sports are a full comittment and you can't play for two different teams. Zetterberg's team is the Red Wings, not Sweden. Datsyuk's team is the Red Wings, not Russia.
                      Soccer does it all the time as does MLB. They allow players to compete on national teams in the world cup and the baseball series they play every 4 years. The sanctioning body as well as the players unions agreed to this. I agree it's a bummer that two wings who were banged up going in are coming out no better, and possibly worse for the experience. For the players on the Wings I could certainly see them more eager to help their national team then the pro team that is fodder for the playoffs and a first round trunk slamming.
                      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Lets say I'm little Cindy C and I wanted to play for my motherland in 2010.
                        You would have to hope your cycle didn't coincide with the games or lay in a supply of midol and hope for little to no bloating.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                          You would have to hope your cycle didn't coincide with the games or lay in a supply of midol and hope for little to no bloating.
                          heh

Now waiting for Cindy's Biggest Fan and his rebuttal...

Comment

• In related news, Sweden and Russia both have injury problems.

Sweden eaked out a 1-0 win over Switzerland this morning on a goal by Daniel Alfredson. The Swedes are now in a great position to go 3-0 in pool play. If we beat Russia (in regulation) tomorrow morning, Team USA will likely be the #1 seed going into the quarters like they were in 2010. The importance cannot be understated when you consider Canada and Russia met in the quarters in 2010. The #1 seed would mean a 90%+ chance of making the semi-finals. Nobody has a better goal differential than USA so even if they won each of the remaining two pool games by 1 goal, they'd finish +8. I don't see any other team going 3-0 and matching that. Sweden has a 2-0 record and is +3 and Canada only beat Norway 3-1. None of this means anything once the puck is dropped in the quarter-finals but it carries a lot of weight in determining the bracket based on only 3 pool games.

Even a close loss to Russia and a good win over Slovenia could still send the USA through to the quarterfinals and avoid playing a preliminary game.

In summation, the 7-1 win yesterday is about the best possible outcome you could ever hope for and essentially has them atop the overall standings. If they hold serve the next two games that won't change. I'm fairly confident that we'll beat Russia. There's a ton of pressure on them and top-to-bottom, I don't think the Russians have the mettle. If they think they're gonna beat us with speed and skill, they're wrong. We skated circles around their Slovak cousins yesterday while managing to play physical. Quick has been named the starter for the Russia game, btw.
                            Last edited by Mike; February 14, 2014, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• Included in Ted Wells's investigation into the Jonathan Martin bullying case is a series of messages Jonathan Martin wrote to his mother and father detailing the the extreme mental distress he felt while a member of the Dolphins. While the outward-facing Martin may have been bro-ishly friendly with Incognito, the…

More insight into Jonathan Martin
                              Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• I admire your unbridled enthusiasm Mike but the Tournament actually starts in the medal round and the US has played a single game.

It is simple, finish first in your group and get a bye to the quarterfinals, goal differential comes into play if two lesser teams have identical tied records in their Group, either A, B or C.

The qualification Round begins on Feb 18th, 4 games in total (3am, 7:30am, 12noon, & 12noon ET), that is 8 teams plus the 3 winners of Groups A, B, C...that means 11 teams make the playoffs, hell there are only 12 teams in the Tournament.

That means of 11 of 12 teams in the Tournament actually make the playoff (medal round).

Russia is going to goddamned hard to beat at home, suspect they win tomorrow.
                                ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

Working...
                                X