• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    Fucking Ottomans. Nothing ever changes.
    LOL

Comment

• Does Trump's team try to prevent him from doing these sit down interviews? Every time he does one of these he comes like sounding like the crazy homeless guy ranting on the street corner. Do they think this is good or do they sit back and cringe like the rest of us?

Comment

• A quick check in on Prog Nation. The official "Women's March" folks are celebrating Assata Shakur or, Joanie as she was once known. Ms. Shakur, among other things, gunned down a NJ Highway Patrol when he pulled over her car (she was wanted for other things). She eventually fled to Cuba and is now feted as a "revolutionary." This, of course, ought to come as a surprise to no one as the detestable Linda Sarsour is more or less the face of that march.

But, I had forgotten that BLM had written a moving tribute to Fidel Castro: https://medium.com/@BlackLivesMatter...e-c11ee5e51fb0. In that celebration of Fidel, BLM thanks him for keeping Shakur (and other killers) safe.

Back to the more serious issues of the day -- the sad news about Senator McCain, the Rs inability to tackle healthcare reform and whatever is on DJT's Twitter feed.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Also, per an item DSL mentioned yesterday, the NRO is adamantly opposed to expanding civil asset forfeiture. It's some real fucking bullshit and, frankly, something I'd expect from the far left, at least in white collar crimes.

For those unfamiliar, there is criminal asset forfeiture. If you're convicted of a crime, the government can take ill-gotten property. Civil asset forfeiture is taking property (mostly money) from a person suspected (but not necessarily charged) of a crime. The practice has emerged as a response to the "war on drugs" but has expanded and is now at the point where, perhaps, it's more "revenue generating" than anything else. It strikes me as blatantly unconstitutional -- you just can't take people's shit w/o the proper process and being suspected of a crime can't satisfy that.

So, anywho. F that bullshit. Goddamn executive overreach. On the plus side, things are finally back on the right course re Title IX -- we're getting close to sanity as they start to undo the past 5-6 years of total nonsense.

Comment

• McCain likely has 12 months if reports of his glioblastoma are correct.
            sounds like he goes back to DC next week though
            probably explains his comey hearing confusion

hopefully that jerkoff simpson stays in jail another year

Comment

• Civil FF can be used for good or ill, as is the case of many law enforcement tools. Whether the juice is worth the squeeze is a matter of trust, and on that your mileage may vary.

I would not blame anyone for being wary of abuse, but I would note that for some it can be a route to avoid indictment.

Comment

• Originally posted by crashcourse View Post
                McCain likely has 12 months if reports of his glioblastoma are correct.
                Wow. The man has been a fixture in politics for so long...it'll just be weird when he's gone.

Comment

• Your correct on forfeiture, Hoss, but my mileage tends more toward distrust in this case. I prefer relatively high procedural safeguards when it comes to seizing property and such.

I'm perfectly fine with forfeiture as part of a deal to avoid indictment or jail time or whatever. I'm less fine with it absent consent.

Comment

• I feel dirty... I agree with talent..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Chuck Grassley told CNN that if Don Jr. and Manafort won't come before Congress voluntarily, he'll subpoena them, and send federal marshals too if necessary.

Asset forfeiture after a conviction is one thing; granting the state the power to seize your property if you're simply suspected of a crime or that a crime occurred on your property, even without your involvement, seems like madness to me.

Comment

• If you?re facing a slam-dunk criminal conviction, or are in a position where even being indicted can be harmful to your employment prospects for instance, then agreeing to a pre-charge agreement that keeps your activities out of the public eye can make a lot of sense. (And save a lot of expense, for both sides) Sometimes CFF goes along with it...but there are definitely grey areas for potential ugliness.

In regards to that scenario, the CFF is less of a concern for abuse IMO than the conditions for being offered such a deal in the first place. Talent gets charged for an offense, but somebody that a prosecutor knows from his/her parish gets a pre-indictment deal for the same act for instance. Back the mileage.

Using talent isn?t the best example because we all agree he should be charged whenever possible, with whatever possible, but you get the idea.

Comment

• Agreed on the civil forfeiture.

Have a bit too much cash going through TSA and they can detain, question, and seize your money without charging you and keep it until you prove your innocence in a court. It is shameful. Something you'd expect out North Korea or similar tinpot dictatorship.
                          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                            Agreed on the civil forfeiture.

Have a bit too much cash going through TSA and they can detain, question, and seize your money without charging you and keep it until you prove your innocence in a court. It is shameful. Something you'd expect out North Korea or similar tinpot dictatorship.
                            Sounds like a serious hurdle for SEC recruiting.

hi!

Comment

• Au contraire. Hartsfield has been funneling money to SEC recruiting endeavors for years. I wouldn't go through security with more than $10 in cash lest you want it to end up in the hands of the next Alabama hell-raising DT manchild.

Is it really any surprise that an Alabamaniac is pushing increased forfeiture?

Comment

• Allowing CFF in lieu of prosecution seems awfully close to allowing people to buy thier way out of convictions. (Not that it doesn't already happen)

CFF is a terrible idea all around.
                                To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

Working...
                                X