No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple voter ID laws in the have been ruled disriminatory in the court system. If you want to compare those to Canada's, you'd have to check if the same sort of thing happens there with voter ID laws.

It's not hard, I imagine, to come up with non-controversial ways to do this. Many countries you cited managed to do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
      Again, can we get specific numbers as to how many AAs are too dumb to comply with Voter ID laws? The progs are playing this bullshit double standard game where the specific numbers matter for fraud but not one lick for suppression.

There are 33 ID laws in force the US. All Constitutional. If any of them was ACTUALLY suppressing votes on a racial basis they?d be dinged ASAP. In fact, if any was passed with the intent to suppress AA votes they?d be unconstitutional - as was the case with in NC. We have 33 laws passed with no provable racial animus that do not suppress the vote rendering SLF?s arguments Geezer-esque.
      Despite your unnecessarily provocative phrasing, it's a good question. I don't know the number, although I suspect it is in the low five figures. Further, it's impossible to say how many were deterred from voting because of the roadblocks placed in their way.

In any event, it would be interesting to see a rigorous study on that.
      To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• The NC law was invalidated based on intent, not operation. I’m not aware of any modern US voter ID law invalidated on operation. They operate the same as Canada. Pretty straightforward. I appreciate that Canada does not have the same rigorous Constitutional rights as we do here. So court outcomes may vary because - you know different laws and shit. Not different operation.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• DSL:

Prog won’t be going away anytime soon. I’ve seen the pointed “discussions” between Geezer/kapture and reckon you and others surely can handle it and give as good as you get. But, if it makes you feel better I’ll try using Ds instead of progs understanding I mean exactly the same thing. But maybe that will give less offense.

Comment

• The Mercers are ending all support for Steve Bannon. Might even force him out of Breitbart.

That's a good thing. But he was the same awful person 5 days ago that he is today. Only difference is he's bashed Trump's family.

Comment

• Also, voter fraud is a canard, too. It’s way more than 45, but it’s insubstantial. So, what we are talking about are laws that combat a problem that is largely illusory but has infinitesimal impacts. So, I’m left with this - does it make sense to require voter registration and then some form of ID to confirm before checking you off the list. 33 states and most western countries think that’s reasonable. So do I for entirely non “hate black folks” reasons.

17 states don’t care. That’s their choice. I mildly disagree with that approach, but, you know, federalism. What I do take issue with is folks adamantly opposed to ID laws - and, I guess, folks adamantly in favor of foisting those laws on unwilling states.

Fair enough, you D?

Comment

DSL:

Prog won?t be going away anytime soon. I?ve seen the pointed ?discussions? between Geezer/kapture and reckon you and others surely can handle it and give as good as you get. But, if it makes you feel better I?ll try using Ds instead of progs understanding I mean exactly the same thing. But maybe that will give less offense.
                I would ditch it for Dems if you're trying to make a serious or persuasive post. If you're posting just for kicks, fire away. I post 'cons" as an attempted rejoinder and repeat 'progs' in mocking tones all the time so not calling for an end.

Comment

• I think this is simple. Many countries have voter ID laws. They are only controversial in the US, however. Also in the US, they are in some cases a proven tool to suppress minority votes, and in other cases suspected of such.

Some things are just somehow only an issue in the US. I suppose every society has particular challenges which aren't so elsewhere. Put this one on the American list.

Comment

• Forensic advice from a man schooled in finer arts of hoteliery at an Ag school. Thanks, DSL!

Comment

• It is simple. US voter ID laws operate the same as laws in other countries. Doesn’t get much simpler. That one party chooses to argue against them with no evidence of actual suppression is what it is. Certainly doesn’t change the plain, obvious facts.

Comment

• There's evidence of voter suppression. It won't go away no matter how many times you assert the opposite, based on that narrowest-possible reading thing you do.

Comment

Also, voter fraud is a canard, too. It?s way more than 45, but it?s insubstantial. So, what we are talking about are laws that combat a problem that is largely illusory but has infinitesimal impacts. So, I?m left with this - does it make sense to require voter registration and then some form of ID to confirm before checking you off the list. 33 states and most western countries think that?s reasonable. So do I for entirely non ?hate black folks? reasons.

17 states don?t care. That?s their choice. I mildly disagree with that approach, but, you know, federalism. What I do take issue with is folks adamantly opposed to ID laws - and, I guess, folks adamantly in favor of foisting those laws on unwilling states.

Fair enough, you D?
                          Without delving into the nitty gritty of each state's individual laws i'm fine with requiring some form of ID. Of course. But if someone like, say, Geezer, tells me that the laws need to be toughened beyond where they currently are in Ohio I'm going to ask "why? is it that big a problem? I don't want to discourage voting" And his evidence will need to be better than references to largely discredited 'studies' or " I was speaking to my terrific illegal Hispanic friends down at the coffee shop who all assured me they voted numerous times each, so I know there's probably millions more like them"

Ya dig?

Comment

• BTW, I could be wrong. Maybe US black folks are the only people in western world incapable of figuring out and following voter ID requirements. Maybe they’re just that unable. I really, really think otherwise. I think they’re every bit as able as UK citizens, Canadian citizens, white Americans, the Dutch, Brazilians and many others. If I’m wrong on that I’m wrong on that. But I really don’t think I am.

Comment

• DSL:

Word to your mother. Voter ID + early voting + provisional. That’s Ohio, and it’s what I’d advocate. Even the strictest ID states all provide provisional options, as they should.

So we agree. I guess I’m a prog.

Comment

• Pic of talent on his journey of self dicsovery:

Comment

Working...
                                X